Donating Blood

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
True story. The blood place is listed under “Vampires” in my phone. I’m O- and tagged for babies. They love me. [/quote]

What does tagged for babies mean? Do you have baby blood?

I donate as often as I can, which means that Red Cross calls me two weeks before the buffer time is up and I schedule another appointment.[/quote]

Does donating affect recovery/health at all? I’ve been thinking about doing it.[/quote]

I would think it would be good for recovery, as you are prompted to make new blood, but I don;t know. I have never felt any adverse effects. Just don’t do it before lifting, they tell you not to lift anything heavy for the rest of the day.

:[

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

True story. The blood place is listed under “Vampires” in my phone. I’m O- and tagged for babies. They love me. [/quote]

What does tagged for babies mean? Do you have baby blood?

I donate as often as I can, which means that Red Cross calls me two weeks before the buffer time is up and I schedule another appointment.[/quote]

It means that I’ve never had some random childhood diseases. Since I’m universal donor and super clean (despite all reports to the contrary), my blood is tagged for babies in surgery/ICU etc.

I like giving blood. We don’t get all the nom nom food that ouroboro gets (just normal juice, cookies, etc.), but I feel like it’s cheap charity that I should do as long as I’m able.

As for recovery etc. - I do get tired the afternoon after I give, and try not to lift that day. I don’t feel any effect the following day, but just to be safe, I try to schedule donations several weeks away from meets.

I’ve started donating blood again after being a regular during college.

Red Cross likes me, I’m O+. My wife just donated for the first time. She said that she should give something back after her surgery. Her veins are not easy to find so it usually takes a few tries to get the needle in. Cool woman.

When I donated, I gave about a quart and rode my bicycle 10 miles to get home. Didn’t feel woozy or anything.

[/quote]

That grip thing they give you when the flow slows down…when I squeezed down the tube that feeds the blood into the bag was flapping away like it was hanging behind a moving car. Kinda scared me for a sec.

[photo]28256[/photo]

I track down a drive and give whenever I’m eligible. Since I try to do double red blood cell donations (I’m A+ and they sometimes tell me there’s an “extra need”), that means I can only do it about every four months, usually.

Personally, I go through the NY Blood Center, which deals only with NY and NJ because I like the idea of keeping it fairly local. And yeah, I’m looking forward to the post-drainage apple juice and oatmeal raisin cookies the entire time.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Does donating affect recovery/health at all? I’ve been thinking about doing it.[/quote]
I skip training the day I’m going to donate, but only because I have a super mild-but annoying heart rate issue and I’ve been turned down at the table because my heart rate was too much (I also go zero caffeine for three or four days prior, hrmph.) I’m always back to training the day after.

They say, in general, it’s good for guys to donate regularly because it can help to reduce the iron in the bloodstream and may offer some cadiovascular health benefits.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
Diabetes contracted in 2005 and never thought about it since. I was under the impression Diabetics couldn’t donate blood, someone please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.[/quote]
American Red Cross says: “Diabetics who are well controlled on insulin or oral medications are eligible to donate.”

NY Blood Center says: “Most people with diabetes, and most people on medications other than those noted above, are eligible to donate blood. For specific medical eligibility guidelines, call us…”

Not sure where you are, but you could always just head down to the drive and fill out the pre-screening sheet. They’ll tell you right there whether you can donate, or just call the organizers ahead of time.