T Nation

Donating Blood & Lifting?

I donated blood at about 7:30 PM EST. Is it OK if I lift about that time tomorrow, or should I take tomorrow off?

I think it’s usually 24 hours, so you should be ok. Just don’t go crazy on heavy lifts to make sure, and then back to normal after that.

Yeah, assuming you’re eating good and you only gave a pint you should be fine.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Yeah, assuming you’re eating good and you only gave a pint you should be fine.[/quote]

Because of class the “earliest” I can workout is 6 PM (I’ll eat dinner, don’t worry) and get plenty of sleep.

But I’m doing the Waterbury Method, and according to my log, I’m on Day 2, take tomorrow off or be sure to get a late start:
Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press
Sets: 10
Reps: 3
Rest: 60 seconds between sets

A1 Partial Dumbbell Deadlift (Romanian Deadlift)

A2 Standing Barbell Military Press
Sets: 4
Reps: 6
Rest: 60 seconds (between pairings)

B1 Standing Calf Raises

B2 Upright Rows
Rest: 60 seconds (between pairings)

Triceps Pressdowns (or French Presses)
Rest: 60 seconds (between sets)

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
I donated blood at about 7:30 PM EST. Is it OK if I lift about that time tomorrow, or should I take tomorrow off?[/quote]

I’ve lifted on the same day with no problems.

I might give a it bit more time. I went for a set of 170 lb. breathing rep squats today, and only got out 15. I did 20 at 165 all right Monday. This was about 7:30 PM and I donated 2:30 the day before. I think it has a lot to do with the kind of lifting and size as well. I don’t exactly break the scales at 5’4" 150.

[quote]travisimo wrote:
I might give a it bit more time. I went for a set of 170 lb. breathing rep squats today, and only got out 15. I did 20 at 165 all right Monday. This was about 7:30 PM and I donated 2:30 the day before. I think it has a lot to do with the kind of lifting and size as well. I don’t exactly break the scales at 5’4" 150.[/quote]

LOL ok sorry bro but id say your example prob isnt the best to say not to lift 24 hours after a blood donation. Not trying to flame here but.

#1 breathing squats are taxing as hell you did them monday and then repeated them wednesday. good chance just there you may not have the same performance havent fully recovered.

#2 throw in the fact you used as greater load this time and got a few less reps. well That could very likely happed Blood draw or not.

Sure the blood draw may have effected you some but there are other factors at play here that seem to have a greater impact to me at least.

I say yes 24hrs go lift. You may or may not break any personal records but you’ll be fine.

Phill

Yes, you’ll be fine. Your performance will suffer for a couple of days up to a week, until you red blood cell count is restored. In the end thanks for giving the blood, it will make a difference in somebody’s life.

Depends how you feel. Eat, drink properly. Should be fine

I gave blood and then went to lift about 3 hours afterwards one time. I got light headed and didn’t have any energy. The next day I was able to lift normal again.

Yeah, that’s possible, but I definetely felt a difference. Doing breathing squats with 48 hour rest is normal for me as well.