Don Thompson Jr?

Hey, I was just surfing the internet, found some powerlifting rankings:

http://www.goodlift.nm.ru/Clubs_m.htm

It says Don Thompson Jr has the third biggest powerlifting total ever, around 2602 lbs? (1182 kgs) Where the heck did that happen, im a pretty avid powerlifting fan, stay up to date on current record attempts (Benedikt Magnusson’s deadlifts are freaky) but never even heard of this guy let alone the third 2600 lb total ever? Anyone know whats up? Wait, the list is actually saying it happened 05.03.05, i.e. the future, anyone know who this man is, what happened?

This is referring to Donny Thompson of Westside Barbell, his training log is on www.elitefts.com. You are reading the dates wrong, it is day first, month, then year. So it happened march 5th 2005, during the Arnold classic.

yea, figured the date thing out right after i posted, slow me. Thanks though for info on that.

im a pretty avid powerlifting fan

I have barely any interest in powerlifting and know Donnie, how could you not?

Donnie does not train at Westside. He trains at his own private gym in Columbia, SC with several other strong lifters, including Marc Bartley, the 2nd place HW in the WPO and top 275 in the world for the past year (Marc also has the second highest squat for a 275 ever at 1058…Goggins’ record is in peril).

Donnie is 40 years old and strong as hell. He got a 2606 total on a 4/9 day, if that tells you anything. He was a hair away from setting the WPO 3-lift bench record. The WPO SHW class is very exciting now - any of 5 or more guys could have won it this year.

thats nuts, 4/9 day too, do you know what his other attempts would have been and if he was at all close to them what his total might of hit? Thanks for the response too.

I don’t know if you are too much of an avid powerlifting fan if you don’t know who Donnie Thompson is. He’s right up there with Paul Childress and right below Gary Frank in the upper echelon of powerlifting. Check out elitefts.com for Donnie’s training log.

[quote]hareboll wrote:
thats nuts, 4/9 day too, do you know what his other attempts would have been and if he was at all close to them what his total might of hit? Thanks for the response too. [/quote]

He squatted 1025 on his second attempt. He cut 1080 high but blew it up. His comment: “I should have taken 1125 to make sure I got down.”

On the bench, he hit about 760. He missed 805 right at lockout. His best deadlift so far is 832, but he didn’t need that to win this time. He wants 848ish next time, but we will see. Perfect day for him would be something like 1100-800-850, but perfect days don’t come along too often.

wow, after the first comment about i guess i must not be an avid powerlifting fan i just figured it was a random comment who cares, but two people now. You know, you guys are right, i guess im going to have to take a punch out of my powerlifting fan card because im not as hardcore as i thought i was (that was sarcasm).

My question is why did you two even take the time to bother to voice your opinion on that, where does it get you? I wanted to know about something in powerlifting that i didnt know about and two people who I have even disagreed with on different posts helped me out and informed me (rick james and cap’n’ salty) and for that i commend them.

But wow, i guess I cant say i like powerlifting anymore because i had never heard of one guy. This happened within the last month or two and as far as i can find, he never held any world records before that, so I didnt stay on top of current powerlifting events for one month, or i wasnt religious enough in my devotion to knowing every single member of westside barbells sphere of influence i get crap for it, just wow. Look, as i now know, don thompson jr is one freaky strong individual, my posts were never meant as a slant towards him, if thats why you guys even care.

[quote]RickJames wrote:
hareboll wrote:
thats nuts, 4/9 day too, do you know what his other attempts would have been and if he was at all close to them what his total might of hit? Thanks for the response too.

He squatted 1025 on his second attempt. He cut 1080 high but blew it up. His comment: “I should have taken 1125 to make sure I got down.”

On the bench, he hit about 760. He missed 805 right at lockout. His best deadlift so far is 832, but he didn’t need that to win this time. He wants 848ish next time, but we will see. Perfect day for him would be something like 1100-800-850, but perfect days don’t come along too often.[/quote]

2750? That’d be absurd…what a strong mofo.

Lighten up dude, but he is pretty well known. Its like being a football fan and not knowing who Pavel Nedved is.

[quote]ConorM wrote:
Lighten up dude, but he is pretty well known. Its like being a football fan and not knowing who Pavel Nedved is.[/quote]

ok that one made pretty much no sense. I don’t think there is anyone past or present who has played in the NFL, AFL, or college with that name. Maybe you are talking about that faggish-soccer. It has no right to be called football anywhere in the world.

Riiiiiight. SO the fact the entire globe calls it football doesn’t mean shit? The fact it was invented hundreds of years earlier? The fact that you actually use your FEET?

Americans are such stereotypes, soccer is for fags, yeah, its a more manly sport than baseball or basketball but of course because they are american we can’t admit that!

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
ConorM wrote:
Lighten up dude, but he is pretty well known. Its like being a football fan and not knowing who Pavel Nedved is.

ok that one made pretty much no sense. I don’t think there is anyone past or present who has played in the NFL, AFL, or college with that name. Maybe you are talking about that faggish-soccer. It has no right to be called football anywhere in the world. [/quote]

You’re an idiot. Maybe you should watch some European soccor/football matches and then decide what type of men play the game. And I believe that it was called football long before American Football ever existed.

I don’t know how tough US “football” players are compares the rest of the world’s futbol players, but European futbol fans are way harder than the the yahoos cooking brats and downing brews in the parking lot here in the states. The European hooligan scene makes up for Western Europeans’ apparent reluctance to shoot at each other in times of peace. Those are some crazy mofos.

[quote]hareboll wrote:
wow, after the first comment about i guess i must not be an avid powerlifting fan i just figured it was a random comment who cares, but two people now. You know, you guys are right, i guess im going to have to take a punch out of my powerlifting fan card because im not as hardcore as i thought i was (that was sarcasm).

My question is why did you two even take the time to bother to voice your opinion on that, where does it get you? I wanted to know about something in powerlifting that i didnt know about and two people who I have even disagreed with on different posts helped me out and informed me (rick james and cap’n’ salty) and for that i commend them.

But wow, i guess I cant say i like powerlifting anymore because i had never heard of one guy. This happened within the last month or two and as far as i can find, he never held any world records before that, so I didnt stay on top of current powerlifting events for one month, or i wasnt religious enough in my devotion to knowing every single member of westside barbells sphere of influence i get crap for it, just wow. Look, as i now know, don thompson jr is one freaky strong individual, my posts were never meant as a slant towards him, if thats why you guys even care.[/quote]

You’re right… Thompson is a relatively new guy on the “big stage”. I’m shocked that he’s 40 years old. I’m 43 so I can’t use age as an excuse.

Not the fans I am talking about though, and hooliganism is not something to glorify. Its the sport itself, played properly (you probably only know it as played by girls who are pathetic at football beyond belief, yes even the WC winners) is tough as hell.

Its a combination of physicality and amazing skill levels, american football involves little to no skill in most cases. Football is physically tough, bruising tackles flying in, a lot of strength is needed and I know most people complain of being just as sore after a football match as a rugby match. Now thats a sport even americans can’t deny is tougher than american football for the most part.

[quote]ConorM wrote:
Its a combination of physicality and amazing skill levels, american football involves little to no skill in most cases. [/quote]

That is absurd. Nevermind the fact that in American football, there is an enormous difference in skills needed in each position, compared to the lack of variety in soccer. Have you ever played a day of American football in your life?

[quote]Football is physically tough, bruising tackles flying in, a lot of strength is needed and I know most people complain of being just as sore after a football match as a rugby match. Now thats a sport even americans can’t deny is tougher than american football for the most part.
[/quote]

Americans do play most sports. More kids probably play soccer as opposed to American football growing up (often because it is perceived as a much safer sport). However, the money is in American football, so that is where the more talented athletes typically go in America, which drains a lot of the strength sports as well.

I played nearly 10 years (fall and spring seasons each year) of soccer growing up, so I know a good deal about what goes into it. It is a different sport from American football and anybody saying one is harder, tougher, etc. is generalizing way too much. I will say that it is legal to hit a lot harder in football than it is in soccer. You just can’t get the same velocities on a person’s chest and body that you can in soccer. Both are freaking rough, though, if played right. Don’t counteract the bigotry earlier in the thread with bigotry of your own.

[quote]ConorM wrote:

Its a combination of physicality and amazing skill levels, american football involves little to no skill in most cases. Football is physically tough, bruising tackles flying in, a lot of strength is needed and I know most people complain of being just as sore after a football match as a rugby match.
[/quote]

Going to go out on a limb here and say you never played a down of football in your life. Wait, you couldn’t, even if you lived here!

Before anyone else starts talking about how this swung way off topic, shows how child-like people are, and is now a completely stupid and pointless argument, I just want to say this thread’s funny as hell.

[quote]ConorM wrote:
Riiiiiight. SO the fact the entire globe calls it football doesn’t mean shit? The fact it was invented hundreds of years earlier? The fact that you actually use your FEET?
[/quote]

So what if they don’t use their feet? I ENJOY watching American football players roll around on their motorized carts.