T Nation

Don King Wants to Promote MMA?

I never thought I’d say this, but I agree with what Don King said.

I still wouldn’t trust him. But I agree with his statements.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AqPu2txJ1r8nEjb98ItixS05nYcB?slug=ki-donking101309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

+1, agree with statements, but I wouldn’t trust him either. After what he did to some boxers (especially Tyson), I just hope he doesn’t do the same to MMA fighters.

Kind of funny that after that whole article, the only sentence you saw was that he wants to promote MMA.

I wouldn’t worry about that guys. He’s 78. He’ll stick with what he knows.

And I agree with his sentiments, but he’s a hypocrite… one money-grubbing selfish asshole blaming all the other money-grubbing selfish assholes for the problems in boxing today. Kind of ironic.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Kind of funny that after that whole article, the only sentence you saw was that he wants to promote MMA.

I wouldn’t worry about that guys. He’s 78. He’ll stick with what he knows.

And I agree with his sentiments, but he’s a hypocrite… one money-grubbing selfish asshole blaming all the other money-grubbing selfish assholes for the problems in boxing today. Kind of ironic.[/quote]

You tell em, Tallahassee.

Wonderful, just when you have a combat sport where at least you know that the outcome is not prearranged in walks Don King to cause those of us who follow the sport to cast doubt on its legitimacy.

Between Dana White under paying the fighters and Don King cheating them out of what they do have, and setting up questionable outcomes it would be a sad day indeed if this man began manipulating yet another sport. Honestly though from the article I don’t see that he has that much interest, thankfully.

How is Dana underpaying people? His organisation is still standing as others come, pay big money and go bust.

MMA fighters in the UFC make comparable or better money than boxers except at the very top. And the guys at the top in MMA are making far more money than they would have ever dreamed of as high school teachers, farm hands or car mechanics a few years ago.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
How is Dana underpaying people? His organisation is still standing as others come, pay big money and go bust.

MMA fighters in the UFC make comparable or better money than boxers except at the very top. And the guys at the top in MMA are making far more money than they would have ever dreamed of as high school teachers, farm hands or car mechanics a few years ago.[/quote]

X2

like it or not Dana is running a business. And it’s not liek he has an exact framework to work with since he basically helped build this industry.

And for the record, I zeroed in on King’s staement on MMA because he’s the first promoter who seemed to give some props to MMA. The only other time I heard someone come cloe to that was when Pavlik’s trainer said he felt the Pavlik fanbase was aided by the MMA fans. Something about appealing to a more blue collar style of fighting.

Anyway we’ll see what happens, Don King might be evil incarnate, but he’s definitely a survivor. And you can’t count out someone with true survivor instincts.

now he can fuck people over in two sports.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:

MMA fighters in the UFC make comparable or better money than boxers except at the very top.[/quote]

But the very top is where all the money is made, hence it is more lucrative to take advantage of those people. For example if a lower level run of the mill boxer and UFC fighter both get 2-K for a fight there is no motivation to cheat them as there isn’t enough money there to care about. But, when it comes to championship fights there is a great deal of PPV money as people have a desire to see fights at this level. In fact it’s not uncommon for the UFC to make 30-40 million dollars from one event. 40 million ppv bucks and they pay one of their top stars a paltry 300-K to defend his title? Come one now that seems a bit unfair to me. Even with the cost of promotion etc. it seems that Dana and company could do far better than this. When is the last time the Heavyweight Champion of the world (in boxing) was paid a mere 300-K to defend his title?

True, and they make more money than plumbers, electricians, doughnut makers and bus drivers and, hey what’s the point here? They’re SUPPOSED to make more money than regular people who have regular jobs. You see, that’s not an honor to just make more, they should be highly paid as they are the best of the best in mma. Just as the best of the best in boxing are very highly paid (and deserve it).

It’s true. Some people don’t understand this. These men sacrifice almost everything to fight, put on a good show…it’s not a regular job, or a regular lifestyle.

In fact if you want to excel at anything in your life career wise…if you think your gonna do a 9-5 and make some serious cashflow, and seperate yourself from the regular you are WRONG. You gotta dedicate all your time n energy to make it work no matter what, and be able to stick through the hard times. I’ve never met a very successful guy who didn’t work day n night to BE that successful.

Back on topic though, some of the payouts the UFC gives is disgusting lol.
Even for someone’s debut only making 2-10 grand. That’s ridiculous.
If you make it in the UFC, you are elite in MMA and should be at the top. Let the smaller organizations pay the smaller money. But as soon as you get into UFC, big bucks should be happening.
Now of course some fighters are getting paid more…half a mil. Which ain’t bad at all for 1 fight. But they definately gotta up the ante.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
It’s true. Some people don’t understand this. These men sacrifice almost everything to fight, put on a good show…it’s not a regular job, or a regular lifestyle.

In fact if you want to excel at anything in your life career wise…if you think your gonna do a 9-5 and make some serious cashflow, and seperate yourself from the regular you are WRONG. You gotta dedicate all your time n energy to make it work no matter what, and be able to stick through the hard times. I’ve never met a very successful guy who didn’t work day n night to BE that successful.

Back on topic though, some of the payouts the UFC gives is disgusting lol.
Even for someone’s debut only making 2-10 grand. That’s ridiculous.
If you make it in the UFC, you are elite in MMA and should be at the top. Let the smaller organizations pay the smaller money. But as soon as you get into UFC, big bucks should be happening.
Now of course some fighters are getting paid more…half a mil. Which ain’t bad at all for 1 fight. But they definately gotta up the ante.
[/quote]

i don’t really keep up with fighters lives, but i know paulie malignaggi was working a 9-5 until the paydays started coming in. people can work and train.