T Nation

DOMS Possible?

this may be a stupid (atleast unusual) question, but since cardio works your heart, which is a muscle, can it get sore just like any other muscle?

i worked my ass of in a game of 5-on-5 basketball the other day for about 50 minutes to an hour, and my heart was pounding harder than usual.

my heart has felt a little weird the past couple of days, and today i tried 60 BW squats to test it and it definately was sore.

is DOMS or something like it possible, or could this be something else that i should look into?

thanks in advance

Cardiac muscle can’t tolerate lactic acid well, so I doubt that you have DOMS in your heart…on the other hand as I write this I remember that the relationship between DOMS and lactic acid buildup isn’t as significant as the scientific community originally thought, but I digress.

When you say your “heart” felt weird, I’m guessing you mean you had some tightness in your chest and not that you were having palpitations or arrhythmia, if either is the case you need to consult a physician soon.

If you just had tightness in your chest it could be many things, most likely related to your lungs, possibly some slight inflammation from physical activity you aren’t used to.

It should go away within a few days, but if not I would look into seeing a doctor.

[quote]jga wrote:
Cardiac muscle can’t tolerate lactic acid well, so I doubt that you have DOMS in your heart…on the other hand as I write this I remember that the relationship between DOMS and lactic acid buildup isn’t as significant as the scientific community originally thought, but I digress.

When you say your “heart” felt weird, I’m guessing you mean you had some tightness in your chest and not that you were having palpitations or arrhythmia, if either is the case you need to consult a physician soon.

If you just had tightness in your chest it could be many things, most likely related to your lungs, possibly some slight inflammation from physical activity you aren’t used to.

It should go away within a few days, but if not I would look into seeing a doctor.[/quote]

wow, thanks for the informative answer. if it doesn’t go away in a week, i’ll go have it checked out.

You are probably unfit…

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
You are probably unfit…[/quote]

i run 1-2 miles every other day, lift weights regularly, and have been in sports since i was a freshman. i’m nothing special, but i doubt i’m so unfit that THAT is the reason.

I know fat lineman from high school and they ran 1-2 miles everyday and would lift weights. They were not fit by any means.