DOMS and TBT

I’ve been doing TBT and I love it. However, I’m usually too sore to workout EOD. I take my Surge as directed, and I’m following a Berardi style diet that has calories slightly above maintenance. How can I reduce or eliminate DOMS so I can follow a M/W/F routine?

Bump

Is your whole body sore, or just certain body parts?

I’ve done the Waterbury method and am now doing TBT (on week 2) and I’ve had minimal, mostly no DOMS.

I do static stretching post workout while drinking my shake.

Yea, I would say it’s everywhere. I’ve never been this sore. I don’t understand it. I’m going to try the stretching after the workout. Maybe I need to get blood into my muscles afterwards?

If by “TBT” you mean total-body-training your muscles will have plenty of blood in them; that is what happens when you lift, you know : ) Progressing too fast or doing too much too fast are the biggest factors in DOMS. Try hot/cold contrast showers, massage, etc. - do a search on this site for recovery aids. Also, stretching after lifting is not the ideal time for it; the muscles are full of blood and so a “good” stretch is not possible. Furthermore, there is some debate as to whether or not stretching prevents or reduces muscle soreness.
Hope that helps.

haha, it takes me a week to recover from 10x3 1-leg squats with 85% 1RM.

I am eating 5,000 calories a day, with 220 grams of protein. (BW 182lbs)

some of us just don’t recover fast.

Try some GPP.

Go to Elitefts.com and read their articles on GPP.

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
Try some GPP.

Go to Elitefts.com and read their articles on GPP.[/quote]

I do about 6 hours of easy spinning on my bike each week. It helps, but I am still a sore mofo for days.

chris, do you notice that you are able to push your legs harder than other muscles, because of your sport?
My legs have this lactate acid tolerance from all that hard biking. Upper body feels so weak when lifting, compared to my legs.

[quote]Nate Mack wrote:
I’ve been doing TBT and I love it. However, I’m usually too sore to workout EOD. I take my Surge as directed, and I’m following a Berardi style diet that has calories slightly above maintenance. How can I reduce or eliminate DOMS so I can follow a M/W/F routine?[/quote]

Are you doing a low intensity cardio on off days? Something like on a treadmill at a speed of 3.5 + an incline of 8. This helps.

You are sore because you are working hard. Probably harder than you have ever worked prior to this. If that is the case there is no amount of stretching, light lifting, massage or anything else that will make it go away.

I just started doing TBT as well, and day 1 left all of the targed muscles sore. I was pyramiding up before and using longer rest intervals, so performing multiple work sets at 60 second intervals just plain hurt.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
You are sore because you are working hard. Probably harder than you have ever worked prior to this.[/quote]

I agree with ZEB; it is the periodization of the TBT program. I rarely experience DOMS, but had it for the majority of time during the eight weeks I did TBT. How often have you performed 3x18 squats? If you are just getting to failure on the last rep of the last set of each of the six exercises for each session, it is not difficult to understand why you might be experiencing this.