T Nation

DOMS After 4 Days Off

ok,I took 4 days off from traing,in these days I did completely nothing,just relax and 1 hour walk (once),
when I come back to iron I did same training,same loads,same rest,everything the same.
after two workout I’m full of doms; chest,lats,abs…

ah,I train 5/6 days per week,short sessions (30/40m),each muscles group 2xweek,Hernon-ish-RP mode,
I get an active and stressfull job (supermarket owner; long job duration and long walking all day).
any thoughts?

Seems normal to me… 4 or 5 days off like that for me results in stronger than usual DOMS. I’m also relatively active otherwise.

I’ve just done the same. I took 6 days completely off training, came back and smashed some PRs. I put it down to beating PRs in pretty much every major lift.

That’s what you get for taking time off.

For shame.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

For shame.[/quote]

x2

Bitch.

Kidding, kinda- for me, anything more than two days COMPLETELY OFF is unproductive unless I was overtraining (intentionally or otherwise) beforehand. Look up CT’s neural charge workouts if you’re looking for a more productive way to take a rest day.

Edited.

Yep. Normal, Buzza.

How’s that Hernon-style routine going?

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

For shame.[/quote]

x2

Bitch.

Kidding, kinda- for me, anything more than two days COMPLETELY OFF is unproductive unless I was overtraining (intentionally or otherwise) beforehand. Look up CT’s neural charge workouts if you’re looking for a more productive way to take a rest day.

Edited.[/quote]

LOL to bitch.
overtraining???
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
I eat a lot (4000 plus,clean btw) and i’m “conditioned” in pushing the 1600lb transpallet (load; one mineral water bottles palle) up and down the warehouse (told to my ex-american football team to buy a prowler,btw&LOL),
I LOVE training,4 days off was to go to my girlfriend that lives in enother EC country…
in 3 years very rarely I have had days off…never liked the confort side.

[quote]buzza wrote:
LOL to bitch.
overtraining???
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
I eat a lot (4000 plus,clean btw) and i’m “conditioned” in pushing the 1600lb transpallet (load; one mineral water bottles palle) up and down the warehouse (told to my ex-american football team to buy a prowler,btw&LOL),
I LOVE training,4 days off was to go to my girlfriend that lives in enother EC country…
in 3 years very rarely I have had days off…never liked the confort side.[/quote]

Exactly… if you typically take very little time off, then taking four days off all of a sudden will seem like a shitload of rest to your body. Your muscles don’t know you had a good reason for doing it.

And overtraining is always possible. Try doubling your training volume for a week and see what happens. Also my point was that you WEREN’T overtrained enough to need that much rest.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:
LOL to bitch.
overtraining???
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
in 3 years very rarely I have had days off…never liked the confort side.[/quote]

Exactly… if you typically take very little time off, then taking four days off all of a sudden will seem like a shitload of rest to your body. Your muscles don’t know you had a good reason for doing it.

And overtraining is always possible. Try doubling your training volume for a week and see what happens. Also my point was that you WEREN’T overtrained enough to need that much rest.[/quote]

Are you saying that if a 4/5 day rest is coming up (that can’t be avoided) that adding in extra training volume beforehand would be beneficial because you’ll have more time to recover from it?

Edit: Should have quoted your other post about overtraining.

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:
LOL to bitch.
overtraining???
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

And overtraining is always possible. Try doubling your training volume for a week and see what happens. Also my point was that you WEREN’T overtrained enough to need that much rest.[/quote]

Are you saying that if a 4/5 day rest is coming up (that can’t be avoided) that adding in extra training volume beforehand would be beneficial because you’ll have more time to recover from it?

Edit: Should have quoted your other post about overtraining.[/quote]

CT has said so in the livespills. I believe he used the term ‘overreaching.’ But yeah, he’s mentioned that calculatingly exceeding your body’s ability to recover with your standard rest interval can be productive if you have a longer-than-usual layoff coming up.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Yep. Normal, Buzza.

How’s that Hernon-style routine going?[/quote]

ciao ID,

I feel happy&confortable with that routine,for a while I did FST7 but can’t felt confortable with the 7sets of isolation movement
the only isolations movements I have done in these years are delts side dbs raises,french press and curls (is curl an isolation?)
so first day Monday is chest/legs Tuesday second delts/back wednesnay third bis/tris
thursday is off because it is most HEAVY day at work (both phisicaly than mentally; 6AM to 9PM)
friday is chest tris legs saturday is delts back bis.
sunday is powercasting on club field (open air,alleluja).
put crunches 2xweek inside.
after many tests,this is the best split I found for job needs…
so each muscles is worked twice per week,3/4 sets to concentric failure or two RP sets (first with 6/3/2 reps ,the second 10/6/3),
also now i don’t hit failure on first reps of RP set ,just on third,it seems to work…
excercises will rotate in the week so if monday i did incline for pecs on friday i do decline (no more flat bench),and so on for all muscle groups…
because of my past knee injuries for legs i’m doing 1 sets of 20/30 reps of box squat/front squat (alternated), lights load,better than nothing…
loads were higher when i ate 400gr pasta now I cut carbs to 150gr,i’m leaner but weaker,hope to go down to 95kg asap so can increase carbs,my PRs were made with 800gr lasagna in my belly LOL
btw my girl is hungry because the XXL desiner sweater she gave me on december is tight and she is worried that I l be wear just loose hoodies (hope Professor X 'll not delete this post because of fear to get big LOL,kidding…)

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:
LOL to bitch.
overtraining???
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

thanx,very probably this is what happened,btw I felt fresh during the first two days of rest,the last two days I was “tired”,tired for doing nothing???boh…

because of this I take my sessions well short,intense (i feel tired after the workout,not annichiled),i know that because of my lifestyle I certainly go overtaining if I add too much volume…and-trust me- overtaining is too much expensive for the job LOL

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:
LOL to bitch.
overtraining???
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Edit: Should have quoted your other post about overtraining.[/quote]

CT has said so in the livespills. I believe he used the term ‘overreaching.’ But yeah, he’s mentioned that calculatingly exceeding your body’s ability to recover with your standard rest interval can be productive if you have a longer-than-usual layoff coming up. [/quote]

Sounds interesting. I might give that a go if anything comes up in the future. I only had 5 dad off recently because I was really busy with university interviews. I decided to take them as complete rest days do I could come back really fresh.

I took a few days off from lifting a few weeks back when my girlfriend was visiting. I purposefully “over-reached” by training 9 days in a row. After about four days rest, I returned to training 5-6 days a week. While I didn’t have above average levels of DOMS on my return, I did hit PRs on every exercise. Sometimes, I think several days off can be very beneficial.

It is normal to have lots of DOMS after several complete days off.

[quote]timmcbride00 wrote:
It is normal to have lots of DOMS after several complete days off.[/quote]

I do undertsand you but…i train all year around (with 32F or 104F into the warehouse gym,no matter),no days off,I did this for 3 years,4 days off and severe doms,it’s a shame lol

omg you’re dying bro, quit lifting now

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
omg you’re dying bro, quit lifting now[/quote]

lol
bro, i survived to Black Thursday (my day off=heavy job day)so tomorrow its time to blast chest&tris (Deo iuvante, if God wants)