Doing What You Want

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

@ X, i know i might seem like a pussy to you and seen inferior to you, but X, there are a handful of people on this site who train as hard and are as dedicated as you. The rest of us are just trying to get there. And well i’m trying hard from now on. [/quote]

A handful? I could name a dozen right now who are dedicated, getting results and not dicking around the way you were.[/quote]

I wasn’t talking about in terms of dedication or getting results. I was talking about guys who are ‘‘body builders’’ or see it as a goal, way, x, stu, akuma etc… coz lets be honest 99% of people aren’t and will never will be body builders but that doesn’t mean it stops them from trying to get there.

Who is saying that active rest has to take the form of one week off the gym? Many who know their body relatively well take active rest without even thinking about it…an example is what CT was talking about with auto-regulation.

Others get extra rest incidentally because of that thing called life (as Steely D was talking about).

[quote]its_just_me wrote:
Who is saying that active rest has to take the form of one week off the gym? Many who know their body relatively well take active rest without even thinking about it…an example is what CT was talking about with auto-regulation.

Others get extra rest incidentally because of that thing called life (as Steely D was talking about).[/quote]

Gee, and what Steely wrote is that we don’t fucking plan this out. Life is enough of a distraction to not even need to do this, especially most of the people on this forum like the OP who have yet to actually even get that serious about this and likely never will reach a level that someone like holymac might.

I don’t need to PLAN any “active rest”. The fact that yesterday I had to work late, then had several other issues pop up last night that kept me out of the gym was enough. I missed a day that I didn’t intend. I don’t call that “active rest”. I don’t call it “deloading”. I call it LIFE.

How many people here are actually training so intensely like pro athletes that they need to PLAN “active rest”?

I mean, shit, from the physiques I see, not very many here should even be pretending they are on that level. The entire idea is ridiculous.

If you made consistent gains each and every month without fail, I would question your level of current development. [/quote] I think nobody said that.

[quote]A deload is taken around the time when gains generally stall, not when it says so on paper.[/quote] This is also wrong, gains can stall if someone isn’t training hard enough, or eating enough, or resting, this wouldn’t be solved by a deloading.

[quote]Anyone with some decent experience knows the difference between overtraining and just needing extra rest or whatever. A deload (or lighter training) is taken based on past experiences and time frames (the times when strength gains slowed down dramatically)…not just an arbitrary number you picked out your ass. [/quote] never said no to that.

[quote]It’s pretty narrow minded to think that they’re just making it up - if I get better results from alternating high intensity weeks with “easier/deload/active training” periods, why would I NOT have them?[/quote] because there’s a possibility that you can have even more high intensity days and grow from it

[quote] It’s very much a lifestyle/genetic/age thing too. Someone in their late teens/early twenties with lessor responsibilities usually can cope better with training without needing lighter periods or whatever. Same applies for those with good genetics/recovery abilities too.

As for the OP, I was just throwing that one out there for the sake of being a little bit helpful. Though, 10 years of little progress doesn’t sound promising…[/quote]

See, I didn’t even see who posted. I just check how the whole thread’s going and from what I remember, if there’s something I didn’t like or something which I liked I write, don’t take it personal. I have also helped people which I regret.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Others get extra rest incidentally because of that thing called life (as Steely D was talking about).[/quote]

Gee, and what Steely wrote is that we don’t fucking plan this out. Life is enough of a distraction to not even need to do this, especially most of the people on this forum like the OP who have yet to actually even get that serious about this and likely never will reach a level that someone like holymac might.

I don’t need to PLAN any “active rest”. The fact that yesterday I had to work late, then had several other issues pop up last night that kept me out of the gym was enough. I missed a day that I didn’t intend. I don’t call that “active rest”. I don’t call it “deloading”. I call it LIFE.

How many people here are actually training so intensely like pro athletes that they need to PLAN “active rest”?

I mean, shit, from the physiques I see, not very many here should even be pretending they are on that level. The entire idea is ridiculous.

[/quote]

Lol, I see this is a pet hate of yours.

Some people don’t have the common sense, (or they have a pretty obsessive mindset) to rest when needed, hence the scheduled part; the reason why I suggested it to the OP.

Apparently though, I’m not allowed to give it a name :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Lol, I see this is a pet hate of yours.

Some people don’t have the common sense, (or they have a pretty obsessive mindset) to rest when needed, hence the scheduled part; the reason why I suggested it to the OP.

Apparently though, I’m not allowed to give it a name :)[/quote]

What the hell about this guy is making you think his problem is that he needs more planned rest days?

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:

If you made consistent gains each and every month without fail, I would question your level of current development. [/quote] I think nobody said that.

[quote]A deload is taken around the time when gains generally stall, not when it says so on paper.[/quote] This is also wrong, gains can stall if someone isn’t training hard enough, or eating enough, or resting, this wouldn’t be solved by a deloading.

[quote]Anyone with some decent experience knows the difference between overtraining and just needing extra rest or whatever. A deload (or lighter training) is taken based on past experiences and time frames (the times when strength gains slowed down dramatically)…not just an arbitrary number you picked out your ass. [/quote] never said no to that.

[quote]It’s pretty narrow minded to think that they’re just making it up - if I get better results from alternating high intensity weeks with “easier/deload/active training” periods, why would I NOT have them?[/quote] because there’s a possibility that you can have even more high intensity days and grow from it

[quote] It’s very much a lifestyle/genetic/age thing too. Someone in their late teens/early twenties with lessor responsibilities usually can cope better with training without needing lighter periods or whatever. Same applies for those with good genetics/recovery abilities too.

As for the OP, I was just throwing that one out there for the sake of being a little bit helpful. Though, 10 years of little progress doesn’t sound promising…[/quote]

See, I didn’t even see who posted. I just check how the whole thread’s going and from what I remember, if there’s something I didn’t like or something which I liked I write, don’t take it personal. I have also helped people which I regret.[/quote]

I only disagree with the assumption that a person isn’t pushing hard enough, and that’s the reason why gains aren’t being made. When in fact, it could be that they simply need to pull back for a short period. Fair enough, this could be wrong. If this is wrong (the person didn’t need to pull back a little), what exactly has been lost? Nothing. To assume that the trainee has lost out on some amazing gains because they spent a fraction of their training not pushing 100% is flawed logic because no-body makes PR’s every time in the gym.

The next usual assumption is that the trainee isn’t eating enough. This is a good assumption and is right most of the time, but again, if it isn’t the right assumption and the trainee is running themselves into the ground (grinding the same load for weeks and weeks without taking extra rest because they are obsessed)…then chances are, they will just get fatter and more discouraged when all that was needed was a little extra rest (a thing that’s like instinct for most advanced lifters).

Dude, if someone looks like a newb after training for years, you don’t jump to the conclusion that what kept them from progressing was “working too hard”…especially when they admit themselves that they can’t stay in the gym.

What the hell about this guy is making you think his problem is that he needs more planned rest days?[/quote]

That’s the thing, no-one can make 100% assessments because no-body truly knows the guy. I’d rather give the benefit of the doubt though.

The thing that made me think he needed to reduce volume was that he worked out every day with great enthusiasm for several weeks, followed by a period of lack of enthusiasm. This is typical of the cycle of phases/emotions I went through in the days where my eagerness outweighed reason and I did crazy volume.

What the hell about this guy is making you think his problem is that he needs more planned rest days?[/quote]

That’s the thing, no-one can make 100% assessments because no-body truly knows the guy. I’d rather give the benefit of the doubt though.

The thing that made me think he needed to reduce volume was that he worked out every day with great enthusiasm for several weeks, followed by a period of lack of enthusiasm. This is typical of the cycle of phases/emotions I went through in the days where my eagerness outweighed reason and I did crazy volume.[/quote]

This is also what the 3 guys who joined the gym with me in July 2008 experienced. They haven’t been back to the gym since September 2008. But it had nothing to do with them needing a deload.
Their lack of enthusiasm was due to them being bored and/or the experience of “working out at the gym to get ripped” just wore off. I’d say this is the case 99% of the time with beginners.

“If you hear hoof beats, think horsesâ??not zebras”

Dude, if someone looks like a newb after training for years, you don’t jump to the conclusion that what kept them from progressing was “working too hard”…especially when they admit themselves that they can’t stay in the gym.[/quote]

Hmmm…I would hesitate to say that the OP looks like a newb. I’ve seen far worse progress on here before lol

I’ve also seen people stuck on the bench press with 175lbs on the bar, not because they weren’t trying hard enough, but because they weren’t eating enough (most of all) and they were doing it all the time (balls to the wall), without allowing adequate recovery. Ironically, aside from food intake, it was their enthusiasm holding them back.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

The thing that made me think he needed to reduce volume was that he worked out every day with great enthusiasm for several weeks, followed by a period of lack of enthusiasm. This is typical of the cycle of phases/emotions I went through in the days where my eagerness outweighed reason and I did crazy volume.[/quote]

This is also what the 3 guys who joined the gym with me in July 2008 experienced. They haven’t been back to the gym since September 2008. But it had nothing to do with them needing a deload.
Their lack of enthusiasm was due to them being bored and/or the experience of “working out at the gym to get ripped” just wore off. I’d say this is the case 99% of the time with beginners.

“If you hear hoof beats, think horsesÃ?¢??not zebras”

[/quote]

LOL, that’s their loss then. I have a friend like that too, and I don’t bother going into detail when he asks for advice (because I know he’ll just lose enthusiasm and stop lifting).

If someone’s going to give up then that’s their prerogative, so be it.

But if someone’s been given a low volume routine where they pull back now and then, they’re probably going to stick to it more than a “full steam ahead” approach. They could always add more later when/if they’re more serious.

Dude, if someone looks like a newb after training for years, you don’t jump to the conclusion that what kept them from progressing was “working too hard”…especially when they admit themselves that they can’t stay in the gym.[/quote]

Hmmm…I would hesitate to say that the OP looks like a newb. I’ve seen far worse progress on here before lol

I’ve also seen people stuck on the bench press with 175lbs on the bar, not because they weren’t trying hard enough, but because they weren’t eating enough (most of all) and they were doing it all the time (balls to the wall), without allowing adequate recovery. Ironically, aside from food intake, it was their enthusiasm holding them back.[/quote]

9 times out of 10, eating is the problem along with routines that are set up by mentally challenged individuals. Of course the guy who eats less than 2,000cals a day while doing bench press 5 times a week won’t grow. That doesn’t mean they need a “DELOAD” WEEK. It means they need to quit being dumbasses and either train like a serious weight lifter and eat like one…or find another hobby.

This activity isn’t even for everyone and if you have been lifting for several years an no one can tell, maybe you are the one who this is not for.

As far as the development of the OP, I was that size before I started lifting…and I thought I was small as hell…yet now we give credit for that being a “well trained build”??

If the average guy on a basketball court is as built as you are, then you may not be taking this seriously enough.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

“If you hear hoof beats, think horsesÃ??Ã?¢??not zebras”

[/quote]

LOL, that’s their loss then. I have a friend like that too, and I don’t bother going into detail when he asks for advice (because I know he’ll just lose enthusiasm and stop lifting).

But if someone’s been given a low volume routine where they pull back now and then, they’re probably going to stick to it more than a “full steam ahead” approach. They could always add more later when/if they’re more serious.[/quote]

Bullshit. This is hard work. It takes above average consistency and motivation to stick with it. if you even need “training wheels” like that, this may not be for you.

Again, this is NOT fitness training where EVERYONE can call themselves serious just for showing up. This is bodybuilding…and the expectation is that someone actually wants this bad enough to work their ass off for it…otherwise, what is the point of all of these threads?

We have people overly concerned about their spinal fluid when the truth is, they can’t even stay motivated without someone literally planning out entire weeks where they don’t train very hard.

How many of the people who need that type of approach actually get huge…EVER?

Jesus, after reading this i feel pretty worthless, kinda takes me back to my thread about being big in your group of friends when in fact you measure against others and you ain’t worth shit.

I am a serious lifter but sometimes LIFE does jump in, the last 12 months i’ve been starting to run my ownn business, moved from the UK to Egypt, got engaged and i;m getting married in April. Not making excuses i know i need to get my ass in gear and get goin but as you can see it’s been a busy 18 months. and maybe schedule de loads aren’t the answer but i’m a happy in a way that some body spent the time to put forward a possible solution.

@X u probably ain’t interested but if you are i’ll try and post some progress pictures in the coming months to show you how serious i am.

But if someone’s been given a low volume routine where they pull back now and then, they’re probably going to stick to it more than a “full steam ahead” approach. They could always add more later when/if they’re more serious.[/quote]

The funny part is that 2 of them are still members. $20 a month. I guess if they keep paying, in their mind they haven’t totally given up yet. They’re close friends so I still bust their balls by texting them “I’m heading over to the gym, you in?” about once a month.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Jesus, after reading this i feel pretty worthless, kinda takes me back to my thread about being big in your group of friends when in fact you measure against others and you ain’t worth shit.

I am a serious lifter but sometimes LIFE does jump in, the last 12 months i’ve been starting to run my ownn business, moved from the UK to Egypt, got engaged and i;m getting married in April. Not making excuses i know i need to get my ass in gear and get goin but as you can see it’s been a busy 18 months. and maybe schedule de loads aren’t the answer but i’m a happy in a way that some body spent the time to put forward a possible solution.

@X u probably ain’t interested but if you are i’ll try and post some progress pictures in the coming months to show you how serious i am.

[/quote]

I wouldn’t be responding if I wasn’t interested…and in the past year, I have begun the act of starting my own business, bought a house, got into a car wreck, got injured, recovered, and still didn’t lose any time out of the gym.

Yeah, excuses…everyone has them…and the guys who stand out are STILL the ones who overcome all of that shit.

I do love how the assumption is that those of us who do put in the time without fail must not be working as hard in life as others so we just have more free time.

You quit training because you lack motivation, not because you have more responsibility.

As far as comparing yourself to “average people”…yeah, do that if your plan is TO BE AVERAGE.

I don’t personally want to be average at all…so I’m not.

If the average guy on a basketball court is as built as you are, then you may not be taking this seriously enough.[/quote]

That made me lol

Hell no i dont wana be average and hopefully i won’t, in a weird masochistic way i love taking shit from x coz it gets me motivated!

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

The funny part is that 2 of them are still members. $20 a month. I guess if they keep paying, in their mind they haven’t totally given up yet. They’re close friends so I still bust their balls by texting them “I’m heading over to the gym, you in?” about once a month.[/quote]

My friend will no doubt be joining me in the beach season.

I’ll be sure to give him a hard time :slight_smile: