T Nation

Doing Too Much?

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:
ugh… i wish people werent so stupid.[/quote]

He’s in the beginners forum, give him a break.

Hey guys it has been 7 weeks and things have been going well. I haven’t really put on any body weight, but I have seen a big increase in strength and my body overall looks and feels more toned. Max bench is up from 155 to 170 and I am lifting more weight in various other exercises that I was not able to lift before. I was just wondering how many weeks am I supposed to do this program for? and I was also wondering what the next step program would be.

You can keep making progress with this program template for quite some time. Don’t think in terms of how many weeks; think in terms of progress. As long as you’re making progress, you don’t need to change anything. If you stall, you can switch movements, still sticking to this same basic template. Or deload. Or eat more.

Now that you’ve got the progression in your training going, putting weight on your body is going to depend on diet. The FIRST thing to adjust is your pre- and post-workout nutrition.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
so you guys were originaly doing all that volume to practise lift form? okay idea.

pushups are very good, do lots.[/quote]

The spreadsheet for Starting Strength has a shit load of volume for practising/warm up and will get you lifting a decent amount of weight.

[quote]dolarhyde wrote:

1. I haven’t really put on any body weight.

2. I was just wondering how many weeks am I supposed to do this program for?

3. I was also wondering what the next step program would be.[/quote]

4. If you want to gain muscle, eat more, especially more proteins;

5. You can do this program for years, as long as you don’t screw it with exercises. I mean: keep EXACTLY THE SAME Max Effort exercises as long as you can add 5lbs a week on Upper Body and 10lbs a week on Lower Body and get the prescribed # of reps; if you stall (ex. you only get 2 reps instead of 5, or 1 instead or 3) for two weeks in a row, change ME exercises (choose one of them in the list De Franco provided). For assistance lifts (from B to D), I’d say go by feeling, but I wonder if you can “feel it” yet…:slight_smile: Just try to go heavier on a weekly base, or increase the reps (ex. go from 3x12 to 3x15, then add some weight and start again from 3x12);

6. Next step really depends on your goal: once you squat 1,5-2x bw, consider yourself an intermediate lifter, with a solid base to start from. If hypertrophy is your main goal, you can choose a more traditional BB split-program (just read the thread “Professor X: A request” and some “ramping set” related topics on the bodybuilding forum); for strength, well, just jump on a powerlifter program (Westside, Sheiko, Wendler 5-3-1)…it’s up to you, as long as you stick with a program long enough to see some gains!

I will definitely be working on pre and post workout nutrition. I take in a lot of protein normally and now after my workouts I have been drinking EAS Myoplex with 25g of protein.

I did have another question about the non-max effort lifts. Is it ok to change those week to week? Like for example on leg day for the unilateral lift could I do One legged Bulgarian squats on Week 1, then weighed lunges week 2, then step ups week 3? Or should it be kept the same for a few weeks? I love doing the Bulgarian squats, but I would also like to try out a bunch of the other lifts.

Also is it ok to do an exercise in this program that DeFranco did not list? I recently saw a few unilateral leg lifts in this article: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/singleleg_supplements and they are not on DeFranco’s list. Also there were very few biceps and triceps workouts to choose from on his list and I have a bunch that I would like to try week to week in those parts of the workout where they are called for, but I won’t if the exercise needs to be specifically from the ones that he listed. There were a few in the Best Of Biceps article recently that I would like to try on my second upper body day.

Thanks for the responses guys.

well done for the improvements. if the single-leg stuff looks really good, why dont you do it at home when you have free time?

Thanks caveman, I do all my workouts at home.