T Nation

Doing Too Much?

Hey everyone, a friend and I have been working out for almost a year now and this is what our schedule has been for the most part minus the 10 sets of 10 workouts for squats, deadlift, and benching. We started trying out GVT after the last article about it and are three weeks in.

Last September both of us had a max bench of 135 and it was quite a struggle just to do that. Now my max is at 155 and his 160. We usually warm up with about 5-10 minutes of running or jump roping and then stretch. Are we doing too much? How could we shorten our routine without making it to easy or loosing strength?

Days like Monday we do a lot more because we don?t have enough time throughout the rest of the week because of school and work. Our main goals are to increase our overall strength and having better looking physiques. I am 22 years old 5?5 148lbs and he is 20 years old 5?9 160lbs. Below is an example of a normal week. We are still learning. Any and all input on how we could make our program better would be appreciated.

Monday
Chest (Part 1)
Bench Press: 10-10-10-10 (100lbs 60% of Max)
Perfect Pushup: 10-10-10
Decline Bench: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs dumbells
Chest (Part 2)
Bench Press: 8-7-6-8-7-6 (100lbs 60% of Max)
Incline Pushup: 10-10-10
Dove Tail Pushups: 5-5-5
Pullups: As many as possible (usually ends up being 5-5-5)

Shoulders
Military Press: 10-10-10-10-8-7-6-8-7-6 w/ 50lbs Barbell
Lateral Raises: 10-10-10 w/ 12 lbs each hand
Supermans: 10-10-10 5lbs each hand
Javelin Press: 10-10-10 both sides w/ 25lbs

Back
Bent Over Rows: 10-10-10 60lbs Barbell
One armed bent over rows: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs
Upright Rows: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs EZ bar
Bent over Lateral Raises: 10-10-10 w/ 5lbs each hand

Tuesday
Squats 10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10 (135lbs 60% of Max)
We would normally do Back on Tuesday, but due to time constraints with school and work we just do Back on Monday.

Wednesday
Triceps
Parallel Bar Dips: 10-10-10
Kickbacks: 10-10-10 w/ 20lbs
Regular Dips: 10-10-10 between two chairs
Triangle Pushups: 10-10-10

Biceps
Concentration Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs
21s: 3 Sets w/ 30lbs EZ Bar
Incline Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 15lbs

Forearms / Wrist
Crushing Grip w/ tennis balls: 20-20-20 both hands
Wrist Roller: 3 Sets w/ 15lbs
Reverse Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 25lbs EZ Bar
Wrist Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 20lbs
Reverse Wrist Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 20lbs
Towel Chins: As many as possible (usually about 2-3)
Pinch Grip: 5-5-5 w/ 2 10lb plates and 1 5lb plate

Thursday
Off

Friday
Deadlifts: 10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10 (135lbs 60% of Max)

Abs
Ab Wheel: 3 sets
Lateral Trunk Extensions: 3 sets both sides elevated on a bench
Leg Raises: 10-10-10
Bicycle Maneuver: 3 sets of 24

Weekends: Off

If you do too much you’ll know. You’ll feel like it’s too much work to get up to go piss.
You will probably be asked about your diet and told to eat way more but don’t ever get fat. Not fun.

[quote]dolarhyde wrote:
Hey everyone, a friend and I have been working out for almost a year now and this is what our schedule has been for the most part minus the 10 sets of 10 workouts for squats, deadlift, and benching. We started trying out GVT after the last article about it and are three weeks in. Last September both of us had a max bench of 135 and it was quite a struggle just to do that. Now my max is at 155 and his 160. We usually warm up with about 5-10 minutes of running or jump roping and then stretch. Are we doing too much? How could we shorten our routine without making it to easy or loosing strength? Days like Monday we do a lot more because we don?t have enough time throughout the rest of the week because of school and work. Our main goals are to increase our overall strength and having better looking physiques. I am 22 years old 5?5 148lbs and he is 20 years old 5?9 160lbs. Below is an example of a normal week. We are still learning. Any and all input on how we could make our program better would be appreciated.

Monday
Chest (Part 1)
Bench Press: 10-10-10-10 (100lbs 60% of Max)
Perfect Pushup: 10-10-10
Decline Bench: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs dumbells
Chest (Part 2)
Bench Press: 8-7-6-8-7-6 (100lbs 60% of Max)
Incline Pushup: 10-10-10
Dove Tail Pushups: 5-5-5
Pullups: As many as possible (usually ends up being 5-5-5)

Shoulders
Military Press: 10-10-10-10-8-7-6-8-7-6 w/ 50lbs Barbell
Lateral Raises: 10-10-10 w/ 12 lbs each hand
Supermans: 10-10-10 5lbs each hand
Javelin Press: 10-10-10 both sides w/ 25lbs

Back
Bent Over Rows: 10-10-10 60lbs Barbell
One armed bent over rows: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs
Upright Rows: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs EZ bar
Bent over Lateral Raises: 10-10-10 w/ 5lbs each hand

Tuesday
Squats 10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10 (135lbs 60% of Max)
We would normally do Back on Tuesday, but due to time constraints with school and work we just do Back on Monday.

Wednesday
Triceps
Parallel Bar Dips: 10-10-10
Kickbacks: 10-10-10 w/ 20lbs
Regular Dips: 10-10-10 between two chairs
Triangle Pushups: 10-10-10

Biceps
Concentration Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 30lbs
21s: 3 Sets w/ 30lbs EZ Bar
Incline Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 15lbs

Forearms / Wrist
Crushing Grip w/ tennis balls: 20-20-20 both hands
Wrist Roller: 3 Sets w/ 15lbs
Reverse Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 25lbs EZ Bar
Wrist Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 20lbs
Reverse Wrist Curls: 10-10-10 w/ 20lbs
Towel Chins: As many as possible (usually about 2-3)
Pinch Grip: 5-5-5 w/ 2 10lb plates and 1 5lb plate

Thursday
Off

Friday
Deadlifts: 10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10 (135lbs 60% of Max)

Abs
Bicycle Maneuver: 3 sets of 24

Weekends: Off
[/quote]

You shouldnt be making your own program. I think its smarter if you find a program to use. Search, “Westside for skinny bastards 3”, or “starting strength” bye Mark rippetoe.

Where your at right now, you shouldnt be doing all these diffrent exercises. You should be sticking to basic, compound lifts, and focus your routine around those.

so your using 60% of your 1RM? as a begginer, id recomend between 75-90% your doing an awful lot but you wont gain much.
why deadlift 135lb when you can do 160?

Holy crap! That’s a lot of volume. This is not a good strength approach. I’d agree with Blacklabel…find a strength program to go on.

OldDirtyCracker: At one point me and my friend were both on the heavy side of things. Me at 200lbs and him in the 180s. Right now we eat as much as possible, but a lot smarter. Junk food is no longer an option.

Blacklabel: Thanks, I will look those programs up right now.

Caveman: Our max deadlifts were 260lbs. We decided to with 135lbs for deadlifting because our form was not so good. We’ve been reading a lot about deadlift form from Eric Cressey’s Mastering the deadlift articles.

Tw0scoops: What do you mean by it’s a lot of volume?

Blacklabel: Also how should we be focusing around compound lifts? By compound lifts I’m assuming you mean Deadlifts, Squats, and Benching. Should we be doing more of those throughout the week and less of the other exercises?

Can someone point out what the faults are in our current routine? When you say that we should be focusing our routine around compound lifts do you mean doing each one more throughout the week? Like Benching on Monday then again on Wednesday? With 2-3 other chest exercises? Blacklabel: Could elaborate more on your response as to why we shouldn’t be doing all the exercises? Thanks again.

Why are you running or jumping rope to warm up for a bench press?

what blacklabel means by alot of voleume is that there usually is a set ratio of sets to reps (usually 3-4 sets of 10-8 reps). If you go over that, you’ll overwork the muscle, it’ll atrophy and u won’t make many gains. If you don’t do enough… well you get the point.

Chimera: How should we warm up to bench? We warm up for all of our workouts that way.

Player: Does that mean that GVT doesn’t work because it is over the set ratio of sets to reps? Or does do you mean only for workouts other than the big ones like deadlift, squat, bench.

DON’T MAKE YOUR OWN PROGRAM. It is alright and in most cases good for experienced and knowledgeable lifters to design their own programs, but not newer lifters. New lifters do not understand what makes a good routine different from a bad routine, and how their body responds to everything.

Do Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, Or Westside for Skinny Bastards. Both are effective at putting on muscle. In any rate, they are probably 100x better programs than what you can make at this point in your training career. Please do yourself (and probably the members of this website) a favor and do a proven program.

[quote]fisch wrote:
DON’T MAKE YOUR OWN PROGRAM.[/quote]

QFT.

[quote]dolarhyde wrote:
Blacklabel: Also how should we be focusing around compound lifts? By compound lifts I’m assuming you mean Deadlifts, Squats, and Benching. Should we be doing more of those throughout the week and less of the other exercises? [/quote]

Definitley.

But like I said. You should be looking at programs made bye others, those will get you ALOT stronger than any routine you will make up yourself.

Ok before we start following Westside for Skinny Bastards we just have a few questions. How should we be warming up to bench, squat, deadlifting ect? instead of running and jump roping. For the MAX-EFFORT LIFT when they say work up to it does that mean we start at like 100lbs then do 125 then 135 then 145 and then to 155 for a total of 3-5 reps? I don?t understand what he means in the article.

Are we doing our max of 155 for 3-5 reps or do all the reps leading up to the max count? Could we do the max lifting and then the rest of the Monday workout together? We do not have enough time to to A.M and P.M workouts.

Also DeFranco has all the workouts in sections of A, B, C ect? Is that the only exercise that we should be doing on that day for those sections? And then the next week we would pick a different one from that group?

Finally on our off and conditioning days would this program allow for us to still do those pushups that we normally do? Believe it or not we actually enjoy doing all of those haha. Could we do the pushups and conditioning cardio together?

Here is week one that we put together based off the article. Please let me know if we are doing this wrong. Thanks again for helping. I have questions throughout the program for Westside skinny bastards that I posted below also.

Monday
A) Max-Effort-Lift: Barbell Bench Press
B) Supplemental Lift: Decline Dumbell Bench Press
C) Horizontal Row: Bent-over barbell rows
D) Rear Delt/Upper Back: Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes
E) Weighted Abdominal Exercise: Barbell Russian Twist
I?m assuming that we would do each workout right after the next like B then C then D then E then repeat it all again for 3-4 sets.

Tuesday
Cardio / Conditioning / Restoration techniques: Would Foam Rolling fall under this?

Wednesday
A) Max-Effort Lift: Box Squats (Would we work our way up to 5 sets the same as benching?)
B) Unilateral Movement: Single leg squats, back leg elevated
C) Hamstring / Posterior chain movement: Leg Curls
D) Grip Training: Wrist Roller

Thursday
Cardio / Conditioning / Pushups

Friday
A) Repetition Lift: Barbell Bench Press (We would just do as many as possible for each set? And do we do this before the other exercises?)
B) Supplemental Lift: Skull Crushers
C) Vertical Pulling: Pull-ups
D) Medial Delt or Trap exercise: Lateral raises (dumbbell)
E) Elbow Flexion Exercise: Alternating dumbbell curls
F) Abdominal Circuit Training: Can we do the ab circuit that we normally do now? It would involve the following:
Bicycle Maneuver

Saturday
Off: We work all day on the weekends and when there is time play tennis.

Sunday
Off

[quote]dolarhyde wrote:
Chimera: How should we warm up to bench? We warm up for all of our workouts that way.

Player: Does that mean that GVT doesn’t work because it is over the set ratio of sets to reps? Or does do you mean only for workouts other than the big ones like deadlift, squat, bench.
[/quote]

You could warm up for bench by benching lighter weights. Just think whether or not jumping up and down warms up your chest and triceps.

Ok we will warm up with some lighter lifting before we do the bench press and I’m assuming that the same goes for squats. How does the new routine that I posted look? I think I set it up the way I was supposed to.

so you guys were originaly doing all that volume to practise lift form? okay idea.

pushups are very good, do lots.

Max-effort means set a new 5RM. Or a new 3RM. Warm up in a way that warms up your joints, gets you neurally ready, but doesn’t tire you out. You get your one all-out set, and then do you move on to some assistance exercises for volume.

ugh… i wish people werent so stupid.