T Nation

Doing Too Many Pull-ups?

Wondering what everyones opinion on this was… Recently got a pull up bar that i attached to the bathroom door and have been bangin them out all day everyday. some days 50 some days 100 total. This doesnt even include upperback/bicep time in the gym. Should i be concerned with overtraining from all the pullups? Should i take days off?

well how do you feel? That’s definitely a lot of stress, but if you are eating big enough to repair all those micro-tears, and getting enough rest to recover, I’d think you’ll be fine. Your body will let you know if you’re overtraining.

Don’t stop… in a couple of months, not only will you have a great set of winged lats, but you’ll be able to add significant weight to sets of 6-12 reps… if you build upto 20-30 reps a set un-resisted…

Good work IMO.

Joe

More important question, are you doing actually working my lats/squeezing on top/nice slow decent/non-relax at the bottom type of pullups?, or are you “banging them out”/fast as I can, jerking around like a fish/tossing my chin over the bar anyway I can type of pullups?

I weigh over 200, and when I do strict pullups, even on strong days when I can get 15-20 reps in a set in strict form, I really feel it. I’d like to think my back looks pretty good. When I compare to the 140lb kids in my gym who “bang them out”, who have absolutely no muscle to speak of, you realize the difference between actually working a muscle, and moving from point A to point B.

Either way, Props for the commitment. I wish I had a pullup bar when I was younger, I’m sure I’d look like Haney today if I did -lol

S

Given human beings evolutionary history, I think it’s pretty unlikely that someone can over-train their back muscles.

But adding mass is a slightly different thing. You may limit growth by doing 50-100 pull-ups every day; your back definition will be amazing though.

Sorry for the slight hijack in advance, but I always do pullups weighted. Is it good for muscle building to do them BW only on occasion?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
…I always do pullups weighted. Is it good for muscle building to do them BW only on occasion?[/quote]

The short answer is yes, from time to time it will help to build muscle by changing up reps and weights. Consider rest pause, very slow reps, double barrel reps (top part, bottom part, full rep, repeat) to boost the intensity for BW only pull-ups if they are REALLY easy for you.

Truth be told, If you are doing 50 chins/pull ups @ day, most of use a jealous.

[quote]905Patrick wrote:
Given human beings evolutionary history, I think it’s pretty unlikely that someone can over-train their back muscles.

But adding mass is a slightly different thing. You may limit growth by doing 50-100 pull-ups every day; your back definition will be amazing though.
[/quote]

great. couldnt have said it better myself.

I do a lot of pull ups too. The only bad thing I read about in climbing magazine is an imbalance rock climbers get sometimes if they don’t balance their vertical pull with a horizontal one. There was a technical name for it that I don’t remember. If you are doing some horizontal pulls I think you’ll be fine.

Another exercise you might like is the gibbon. I found on this site in an article called renegade training. Its just a two arm pull up with a slow 1 arm negative. I can only do a couple good ones in a row and it makes my arms feel like they are going to explode.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but do you have a problem with swinging? I always do. I have done chins and pullups faithfully for years and at 225 lbs, I still cant break 12 reps. :frowning:

But my bent rows are certainly stronger.

I got a Door Gym On Feb 23. I do pull-ups an average of every 3 or 4 days. 100 if I’m working. 200 if I’m off and studying in the house all day.

I’ve gotten a lot better at them, and my back and especially my arms have gotten bigger. I’d do them everyday, but these two reasons stop me.

1. I lift every other day. I do fullbody workouts, lots of squats/deadlifts. I go at it intensely enough where the idea of doing a bunch of pullups afterwards feels stupid. They’re just fine on “off days”.

2. I was getting cramps/sharp pains in my forearms and lower biceps doing them daily.

Have fun though. Keep a seperate logbook just for pull-ups. Do as many as you can without running into recovery/overuse issues and you’ll benefit a lot.

and just a side note…

ive done only pull ups and deads for 2 months and have seen improvements in every aspect. my bench also went up.

I bet he isn’t Stu…! Lol!