Doing Something Every Day

Had a phase when I was on vacation for a month where I did 100 reps of ab wheel every day (this was the summer before high school). I did that because someone told me that doing that exercise would make me stronger all over and prepare me for football, which I’m not sure it did really but it gave me some good abs and now I don’t need to really train them that much. I believe it worked really well for me because I was young and because I wasn’t training anything else at the time. Not sure I would recommend that now since it could hurt your lower back.

Thanks much for the responses guys.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Military presses every day. Within 3 weeks surpassed my PR. After 6 weeks added 10% to it (went from 225 to 265).
Did an arm training program for 21 days straight and added 3/4 of an inch
Currently doing 50 bodyweight triceps extensions every time I walk into the gym (at end of session) . Program CT was kind enough to share in his thread. Also do lockouts every time for 3-4 sets of 5 reps. Elbows have never felt better and triceps are getting stronger and bigger (I am on day 10).
Also squatted daily for 19 days in a row regaining 2 inches in size after having been sick for a year.

I echo the fat loss results from doing this…

Also have an old thread somewhere on here where I did Waterbury’s high frequency training and did full body for 6-8 times a week for 6 weeks. Made retarded gains…[/quote]
Well holy fuck that settles it then. I’m just going to do 100 reps of everything every day.[/quote]
LOL

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
[/quote]

You fool. You wasted 21 days when you could have had the same growth in one day with Poliquin’s One-Day Arm Cure.

Imagine if you would have done his program every day for those 21 days. You would have added 15.75 inches to your arm![/quote]

I am sorry :frowning: Now I know better. Won’t happen again, I promise.

All kidding aside. That was actually Poliquin’s super compensation program I had based that on. Even at a very high bodyweight I could never get my arms to 19" and this program took me there.
I trained them 21 days in a row till I lost strength and size then took a week off in which I ate everything that wasn’t nailed down to the floor and in the two weeks following my arms grew to 19" and they stayed there. Strength went up big time as well. My close grip bench press went to 5 sets of 5 with 315lbs.

Surprised the hell out of me 'cause I never thought much of Poliquin. However, Waterbury convinced me of the benefits of higher frequency training and so I tried it figuring: “what have I got to lose?”. Even now, 35lbs lighter, my arms are still a tad over 18".

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
[/quote]

You fool. You wasted 21 days when you could have had the same growth in one day with Poliquin’s One-Day Arm Cure.

Imagine if you would have done his program every day for those 21 days. You would have added 15.75 inches to your arm![/quote]

All kidding aside. That was actually Poliquin’s super compensation program I had based that on. Even at a very high bodyweight I could never get my arms to 19" and this program took me there.
I trained them 21 days in a row till I lost strength and size then took a week off in which I ate everything that wasn’t nailed down to the floor and in the two weeks following my arms grew to 19" and they stayed there. Strength went up big time as well. My close grip bench press went to 5 sets of 5 with 315lbs.

Surprised the hell out of me 'cause I never thought much of Poliquin. However, Waterbury convinced me of the benefits of higher frequency training and so I tried it figuring: “what have I got to lose?”. Even now, 35lbs lighter, my arms are still a tad over 18".

[/quote]

What kind of volume did you use and how did you fit it in with the rest of your training?

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
And even then, you have to wonder WHY you would be doing such a thing. I look at training as having a goal, rather than being the goal in and of itself. Every movement and training parameter should have a specific relationship with your training goal.[/quote]
I think this is pretty much the bottom line, and we definitely agree on it. We kinda read the OP differently and responded from different perspectives. No harm done.

Maybe not every day, but it’s worth trying twice a week for six weeks. Thus sayth Overlord Wendler. :wink:

I know personally my body responds best to high frequency training.

I have been doing pull-ups 5x per week after reading the recent “Pull-Up Challenge” article.

When I started, I could do 15 strict from a dead hang. I could also do 8 reps with a 45 lbs on a dip belt.

I started and I did 5 sets of 10 throughout the day for 3 days. 1 day I did 5 sets of weighted pull-ups (neutral grip) for 6-8 reps. I started with 35 lbs. Then on the 4th day I did a “as much reps as possible within 10 minutes”. I did nothing after the weighted day and the challenge day.

The next week, I did sets of 11 for three days, and the weighted day went to 40 lbs. This week I’m upping it to 12 reps, then 45 lbs, then of course trying to beat the challenge day by a few reps.

It’s going GREAT. I found the key is to start light, and progress a little every week. Either with reps, or weight or total reps with the challenge day. If it goes well I may do a thread after 60 days. The goal is to gain strength and .5" on my arms.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
And even then, you have to wonder WHY you would be doing such a thing. I look at training as having a goal, rather than being the goal in and of itself. Every movement and training parameter should have a specific relationship with your training goal.[/quote]
I think this is pretty much the bottom line, and we definitely agree on it. We kinda read the OP differently and responded from different perspectives. No harm done.

Maybe not every day, but it’s worth trying twice a week for six weeks. Thus sayth Overlord Wendler. :wink:

[/quote]

Yes, definitely no harm done. Sorry if I was overly argumentative - I have a tendency to do that. For the most part, I agree with where you are coming from.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

What kind of volume did you use and how did you fit it in with the rest of your training? [/quote]

I did 6-8 sessions a week (Sat and Sun were 2/day) and each and every session I started with one mass exercise: Squats, power cleans, DB Snatches, Deadlift, Snatch, etc. 3 sets of 20 reps.
I followed this with a regular arm training program. 3-4 exercises for biceps and triceps with varying set/rep protocols ala Waterbury.

AM: 6x4 PM 4x12 for example. Other days I did 10x10 or 4x24 reps. I was all over the place but would basically alternate heavy, light and medium days. Volume was at least 12 sets per bodypart.

After the session I did farmer’s walks or heavy stair walks or DB swings for 5 minutes.

That’s it. A lot of work but oddly enough after 4-5 days you feel pumped all the time and the sessions get easier and easier. I actually gained strength and size after 7-9 days and only got ‘overtrained’ after 17 days.

The program called for loss of size and strength and a feeling of malaise. That happened on day 20 so I ended the program on day 21.

After 5 days of rest the gains that followed were nothing short of spectacular.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

What kind of volume did you use and how did you fit it in with the rest of your training? [/quote]

I did 6-8 sessions a week (Sat and Sun were 2/day) and each and every session I started with one mass exercise: Squats, power cleans, DB Snatches, Deadlift, Snatch, etc. 3 sets of 20 reps.
I followed this with a regular arm training program. 3-4 exercises for biceps and triceps with varying set/rep protocols ala Waterbury.

AM: 6x4 PM 4x12 for example. Other days I did 10x10 or 4x24 reps. I was all over the place but would basically alternate heavy, light and medium days. Volume was at least 12 sets per bodypart.

After the session I did farmer’s walks or heavy stair walks or DB swings for 5 minutes.

That’s it. A lot of work but oddly enough after 4-5 days you feel pumped all the time and the sessions get easier and easier. I actually gained strength and size after 7-9 days and only got ‘overtrained’ after 17 days.

The program called for loss of size and strength and a feeling of malaise. That happened on day 20 so I ended the program on day 21.

After 5 days of rest the gains that followed were nothing short of spectacular.[/quote]

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

I recall seeing a youtube video of Rich Piana saying something about doing arms everyday (or something close to that) to get hyuge guns.

I see him at my gym once in awhile, and his arms look bigger than most people’s legs.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I recall seeing a youtube video of Rich Piana saying something about doing arms everyday (or something close to that) to get hyuge guns.

I see him at my gym once in awhile, and his arms look bigger than most people’s legs. [/quote]

i hear that cedric millan trains his arms everyday

Matt Furey said he worked up to something like 1000 hindu squats, hindu pushups, and bridges in combat conditioning.

Also - and I know this isn’t that helpful- I read somewhere about some injuries that can easily occur from high volume pull-ups… it was in passing and not the subject. I want to say it was either on here or elite. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

I was inspired by CS’s recent pull up article to do as many push ups as I can 5 days a week. This is in an effort to break the push up record at the police academy I’m headed to which is somewhere between 100 and 110. I’m on my second week. The most I’ve done in a day so far was 400 yesterday. All of my pushing/chest exercises in the gym so far have skyrocketed since starting this, and this is in a calorie deficit. As far as growth goes I can’t really say yet.

I think the high rep high frequency strategy is just another tool in the toolbox.

I experimented with 100 chins/pull ups every day for around 6 - 8 months.

My back definitely gained some size and as has already been mentioned, felt it kept me lean and was a great fat loss tool in general.

The downside is that I developed a really nasty dose of tennis elbow. I’m still wracked with it now, 2 months after diagnosis.

If I was ever to do this again, it would be exclusively Olympic rings. Lesson learned!

[quote]GJ_Jim wrote:
I was inspired by CS’s recent pull up article to do as many push ups as I can 5 days a week. This is in an effort to break the push up record at the police academy I’m headed to which is somewhere between 100 and 110. I’m on my second week. The most I’ve done in a day so far was 400 yesterday. All of my pushing/chest exercises in the gym so far have skyrocketed since starting this, and this is in a calorie deficit. As far as growth goes I can’t really say yet.

I think the high rep high frequency strategy is just another tool in the toolbox.

[/quote]

How are you going about doing your push-ups? Are you just dropping and doing sets whenever you can or doing them during a specific time period?

Before I left College Town, USA, I lived in a 2 story dulpex. I crafted my own pull up grips from paracord and some 2 1/2" elbow conduit, so approximately a Fat Gripz sized handle. They hung off the stairs in front of the building. I made it a point to hit 50 a day for several weeks straight.

Those handles were HARD. I worked up to 12 reps eventually, but my forearms would just be smoked. I noticed a marked improvement in the ease of regular pull ups during this time.

Currently getting strong and stuff.

[quote]Trevshenko wrote:

[quote]GJ_Jim wrote:

[/quote]

How are you going about doing your push-ups? Are you just dropping and doing sets whenever you can or doing them during a specific time period? [/quote]

Just dropping and doing them when I can. It’s kind of tough to fit around my regular training schedule but it’s going well. Up to 640 in a day. I’m sure I’ll shatter that tonight. I want to get 1000, I think that’ll mostly be a matter of planning it right. I’m not sure where my max is yet. I start doing them after my chest workout and take two days off prior to the next chest day. I’ll probably test myself this weekend but I won’t be fresh. I’m sure I’m well over at least 75 now as I’m able to knock out 50 easily first thing in the morning.

Pavel has a push-up program I may do soon because I’m being shipped off to the boondocks for work for a week and a half and won’t have gym access. That program is timed and based off percentages.

[quote]GJ_Jim wrote:

[quote]Trevshenko wrote:

[quote]GJ_Jim wrote:

[/quote]

How are you going about doing your push-ups? Are you just dropping and doing sets whenever you can or doing them during a specific time period? [/quote]

Just dropping and doing them when I can. It’s kind of tough to fit around my regular training schedule but it’s going well. Up to 640 in a day. I’m sure I’ll shatter that tonight. I want to get 1000, I think that’ll mostly be a matter of planning it right. I’m not sure where my max is yet. I start doing them after my chest workout and take two days off prior to the next chest day. I’ll probably test myself this weekend but I won’t be fresh. I’m sure I’m well over at least 75 now as I’m able to knock out 50 easily first thing in the morning.

Pavel has a push-up program I may do soon because I’m being shipped off to the boondocks for work for a week and a half and won’t have gym access. That program is timed and based off percentages. [/quote]

Thanks for the insight. I was going to say it sounded like Pavels programme, i did that about 18 months ago, it was hard for-going all other upper body work other than pull ups but it got me ALOT better at push ups in such a short space of time.