Doing Curls in the Squat Rack

Anyone who would say your wrong for doing that is an idiot, BB curls are the best bicep exercise you can do. Go for it man, who cares what a few pretentious idiots think, what is more important, what someone thinks or your biceps growing…

Before I was banned from a commercial gym in phoenix for stupid reasons, I would usually show up and the two squat racks would usually be filled by one guy doing 65-85 lb. curls and the other with some old guy hanging upside down from boots he brought from home.

If I ever happened to be squatting, these two losers would constantly ask me when I would be done…

UGH!!! I HATE this. And the worst part is I can’t do anything about it…

at my school gym, some of the staff work out at our one (way too tiny) gym, and there’s this one guy who is HUGE. But he’s a total jerk-off. The guy benches like 350 for reps, and can’t even get a full squat at 225. Total chicken-legger.

Anyway, the days he does bench, he does curls in the squat rack. And we have like 4 benches, but rather than use a bench and re-rack there, he has to be in a fucking squat rack. But I can’t do shit because the guy outweighs me by at LEAST 50 lbs, so he’s not going to give me the time of day. MOTHERFUCKER!!!

[quote]azbulldog wrote:
Before I was banned from a commercial gym in phoenix for stupid reasons, I would usually show up and the two squat racks would usually be filled by one guy doing 65-85 lb. curls and the other with some old guy hanging upside down from boots he brought from home.

If I ever happened to be squatting, these two losers would constantly ask me when I would be done…[/quote]

And so you beat them both up? Come on, why did you get banned? :slight_smile:

Sorry curling in the squat rack is AutoFail. If you are curling 225+ then fine.

Otherwise, just pick it up off the FUCKING floor.

Christ.

[quote]acelement wrote:

at my school gym, some of the staff work out at our one (way too tiny) gym, and there’s this one guy who is HUGE. But he’s a total jerk-off. The guy benches like 350 for reps, and can’t even get a full squat at 225. Total chicken-legger.

Anyway, the days he does bench, he does curls in the squat rack. And we have like 4 benches, but rather than use a bench and re-rack there, he has to be in a fucking squat rack. But I can’t do shit because the guy outweighs me by at LEAST 50 lbs, so he’s not going to give me the time of day. MOTHERFUCKER!!![/quote]

That sucks I would for sure ask if you wanted to get in and get the fuck out of the way. I always look around to see if anyone wants in and will ask them.

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
acelement wrote:

Anyway, the days he does bench, he does curls in the squat rack. And we have like 4 benches, but rather than use a bench and re-rack there, he has to be in a fucking squat rack. But I can’t do shit because the guy outweighs me by at LEAST 50 lbs, so he’s not going to give me the time of day. MOTHERFUCKER!!!

That sucks I would for sure ask if you wanted to get in and get the fuck out of the way. I always look around to see if anyone wants in and will ask them.[/quote]

I’d appreciate the sentiment, but I’d decline and wait. I like to take my time, think through the process, and basically hog the rack all together, without interruption or that nagging feeling that I need to hurry.

Yeah well hogging the rack for curls is a 1 way ticket on the pain train.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Christ.[/quote]

I think the point is is that there are no EXTRA bars to do them anywhere else. So if he was going to pick it up off the floor, he would have to steal the bar from the rack and take it somewhere else (just so he’s not in the rack curling) which still denies the use of the rack. So he does them there.

My gym is the same way. 2 Flat benches, 1 incline, 1 squat rack, no preloaded bars, and not a single extra oly bar. So The choices are using one of the flat benches (which is what I usually end up doing) or the squat rack. Sometimes there’s not much of a choice.

cueball

here’s an idea.

Ask gym management to splurge and buy a few extra Olympic bars

[quote]cueball wrote:
UtahLama wrote:

Christ.

I think the point is is that there are no EXTRA bars to do them anywhere else. So if he was going to pick it up off the floor, he would have to steal the bar from the rack and take it somewhere else (just so he’s not in the rack curling) which still denies the use of the rack. So he does them there.

My gym is the same way. 2 Flat benches, 1 incline, 1 squat rack, no preloaded bars, and not a single extra oly bar. So The choices are using one of the flat benches (which is what I usually end up doing) or the squat rack. Sometimes there’s not much of a choice.

That is correct
cueball[/quote]

When I arrived at the gym this morning I knew I had to quickly get to the only power rack while it was still available because I could see a guy doing biceps and I knew where his workout would eventually lead him.

I could see him eyeballing the rack so I cockblocked him: I did powercleans right behind the rack opening. I took my time too, gotta let those fast twitch fibers rest so I can get maximum explosion.

I could see he wanted in so I set up for my next exercise: Bulgarian split squats in the rack, 8 sets of 3, dynamic. Took my time. Gotta explode those reps. I could have done this with DBs at any place in the gym but I didnt feel like it. I figured todays the day he can bend over and take it.

To his credit, I did notice he started picking the bar up off the floor for his curls (75 lbs). When I was done I went off to do some calf raises. I looked a short time later and he was in the rack, doing curls (65lbs: two 5 lb plates to a side), dude must have been saving his posterior chain for leg day.

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
cueball wrote:
UtahLama wrote:

Christ.

That is correct
cueball

[/quote]

So you belong to a gym…that you pay for…that has zero (not one) extra Oly bar?

This is also AutoFail…

i agree, there must be a gym somewhere near you that has all the equipment you need.

you’ll probably find a membership that has some pretty big boys to measure yourself against so that you’re constantly motivated to improve.

big guys dont go to gyms that have very little equipment

you might have to pay a bit more to go to a gym like this but you spend so much time, effort and food on building a temple like physique, so whats a few dollars?

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

So you belong to a gym…that you pay for…that has zero (not one) extra Oly bar?

This is also AutoFail…[/quote]

Cool. Now your just going to be a dick. Good job. Don’t blindly mock anybody’s situation, circumstances, or choices you have no clue about. Not everybody has the opportunity to lift at a fully stocked gym. We make due with what we got. Doesn’t mean shit if it doesn’t have an “extra” bar. There are bars to use and the get used.

So instead of lowering yourself with childish “AutoFails”, how about adding something meaningful to the discussion. Thanks.

cueball

[quote]Kairewa wrote:
i agree, there must be a gym somewhere near you that has all the equipment you need.

you’ll probably find a membership that has some pretty big boys to measure yourself against so that you’re constantly motivated to improve.

big guys dont go to gyms that have very little equipment

you might have to pay a bit more to go to a gym like this but you spend so much time, effort and food on building a temple like physique, so whats a few dollars?[/quote]

The gym I lift at HAS all the equipment I NEED. It doesn’t, however have extra bars. Not ideal I agree, but not necessary to train. Also, I don’t NEED to lift next to bigger guys to be motivated. Again for some, not ideal, but not necessary.

Who said anything about monetary limitations being the factor in what gym I attend? It’s not. You are, like Utah, blindly assuming things about someone’s situation and choices.

Thing is where I train works for my PERSONAL situation the best. Under other circumstances, I would be (and have been) in a better equipped gym. I might also in the future.

Also, relating a trainers size to the amount of equipment the gym he attends has, is silly. To many posts on this site have stated that intensity, progression, and food are the biggest keys. To many people go to the big gyms and never progress. I don’t buy that arguement.

cueball

Edit: In choosing a gym, my first criteria isn’t “will I have to curl in the squat rack or not”.

[quote]acelement wrote:

Anyway, the days he does bench, he does curls in the squat rack. And we have like 4 benches, but rather than use a bench and re-rack there, he has to be in a fucking squat rack. But I can’t do shit because the guy outweighs me by at LEAST 50 lbs, so he’s not going to give me the time of day. MOTHERFUCKER!!![/quote]

Work on getting bigger than that guy, then one day you can have the greatest feeling of telling him you need the rack to do some squats and have him watch in awe as you squat and rep out 400+ lbs in his face:D

In the gym where I train people who you nearly always see benching often curl in the squat rack… So I started curling on the bench press for some payback.

[quote]cueball wrote:
Kairewa wrote:
The gym I lift at HAS all the equipment I NEED. It doesn’t, however have extra bars. Not ideal I agree, but not necessary to train. Also, I don’t NEED to lift next to bigger guys to be motivated. Again for some, not ideal, but not necessary.

Who said anything about monetary limitations being the factor in what gym I attend? It’s not. You are, like Utah, blindly assuming things about someone’s situation and choices. Thing is where I train works for my PERSONAL situation the best. Under other circumstances, I would be (and have been) in a better equipped gym. I might also in the future.

Also, relating a trainers size to the amount of equipment the gym he attends has, is silly. To many posts on this site have stated that intensity, progression, and food are the biggest keys. To many people go to the big gyms and never progress. I don’t buy that arguement.

cueball

Edit: In choosing a gym, my first criteria isn’t “will I have to curl in the squat rack or not”.[/quote]

Alright guy, you want to know why I am being a little short here? Do ya? You seem a little tender…bad day?

It is because I am tired…sick and fucking tired of these types of threads in the fucking bodybuilding section.

This subject already has a 400 page thread dedicated to it, on this fucking site no less! The OP could have typed “SRC” into the search key and up would have popped 8 fucking years worth of opinion on the subject.

So I am really quite sorry that I have offended your tender sensibilities, you are quite correct I do not know why somebody would have to curl in a squat rack, because if that is your only solution to that particular problem… then I totally understand why you would get butt hurt by me telling you that you are a FUCKING women.

Sorry again.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Christ.[/quote]

Agreed. Leave the squat rack open so the guy who actually wants to squat can grab a bar off an empty bench press or something. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BE IN THE RACK. Even the skinny kid doing shrugs with way more weight than he should is using the pegs.

It doesn’t make a difference if you are curling the bar alone or have 45s on it.