Dogs for Security

this started on another thread but I’d like to see what people think are good dogs for protection, security etc…

Ones that do that and are good around people/family/other dogs/children etc…

Ones I’m considering:

Rotweiller
Cane Corso (thanks steel nation)
American Bulldog; maybe
Boxer, maybe

Pittbull duh

well or a nice big German Shepard, they are intimidating as hell and probably the smartest dog you can get.

V

I would suggest a rottweiler or a german shepherd. Most of the times you hear about these dogs being bad around people is because of their owners. These larger stronger dogs are very often great around kids, you just have to make sure the kid doesn’t overstep their bounds.

They can be very territorial around their master’s children, which is the cause for much confusion.

If you want protection and good around people,…you could also go with a malamute or other sled dog.

All dogs have an aggressive factor built in. They instinctively protect the home and children and should see you as the ALPHA dog. Now you can have any dog trained for doing guard work. But the dog must need down time to play etc.

If you get a dog just make sure its a breed you can handle. Cause there is nothing worst then putting down your best friend and ally cause they went over board with protection.

And remember a dog is almost 17 years in commitment and vet bills.

When you say security, what exactly do you mean? A full-time guard dog? Or just a dog that will bark when they hear something?

American bulldogs are wonderful family dogs with a great, happy personality. However, my AB mix is more of a sort of intimidation factor when it comes to his role in security… I suspect that he may just sleep right through anyone breaking in, but people are always intimidated when they meet him. Boxers are just really happy, wiggly love muffins.

Well bred, well trained shepherds are fabulous, as are rotties. Rotties are really my personal favorite. In working with dogs I found that they were the most consistent in terms of loyalty and trustworthiness. The aggressive ones were that way because the owners were idiots. Rots need a structured environment more than do say, boxers or ABs.

The most important factor is proper training and structure within your home, regardless.

I do NOT suggest training a dog for protection. Having a dog in your home is enough and they will naturally want to protect your territory.

I have a Doberman Pincer, it does very well around people, family, and is very protective it its grounds, she also gets along great with other dogs. It’s the perfect dog in my case. I don’t think any kind of animal has walked on my property since I got her about two years ago.

I may get blasted for this but pit bulls are great dogs!

If you train them correctly they will try to do anything and everything to keep you pleased.

I had one for 3 years before he got hit by a car. Super smart guy! He loved to go running too but he always wanted to lead…

I never really had him around children and he was touch and go with other dogs. I introduced him to my mom’s female Huskies and thing were most okay. He dometimes got into minor sparks with the Alpha female but played all the time with the othe Husky.

As said previously, it is all about raising them correctly.

I’ve always wanted a newfoundland.

With a deep bark and weighing in at around 130 lbs, you’ve got a good guard dog that (from what I’ve read from multiple sources) wont have problems with kids.

IMO, a deep bark is going to be the most deterrant to an intruder. Thats the first thing they’ll hear about the dog. My dog has a bark that could put a German Shephard’s to shame, and delivery men’s faces illustrate the point. Then we open the front door and see he’s a 40lb terrier and will sooner lick you to death than attack you.

Great Dane :smiley:

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I may get blasted for this but pit bulls are great dogs!

If you train them correctly they will try to do anything and everything to keep you pleased.

I had one for 3 years before he got hit by a car. Super smart guy! He loved to go running too but he always wanted to lead…

I never really had him around children and he was touch and go with other dogs. I introduced him to my mom’s female Huskies and thing were most okay. He dometimes got into minor sparks with the Alpha female but played all the time with the othe Husky.

As said previously, it is all about raising them correctly. [/quote]

The only people that would blast you for saying that pit bulls are great dogs are ignorant ones. Any dog can be aggressive and dangerous if not trained or socialized properly.

I don’t have, nor have ever had a pit but I love’em. I think my one mutt may have some pit in him because of some of his character traits but I’m not sure.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
American bulldogs are wonderful family dogs with a great, happy personality. However, my AB mix is more of a sort of intimidation factor when it comes to his role in security… I suspect that he may just sleep right through anyone breaking in, but people are always intimidated when they meet him.
[/quote]

My wife and I have an american bull, and all I can say is ^ this man knows.

The wife is completely convinced the dog would protect the house if someone breaks in. I’m completely convinced that I’d need to wake the dog up then point it in the right direction first. I’d put odds on the dog just going back to sleep.

Nice dog, good with kids, people are scared of it, but the thing is dumb as a rock.

[quote]Travacolypse wrote:
Nice dog, good with kids, people are scared of it, but the thing is dumb as a rock. [/quote]
x2.

Jackie (in her princess ballerina Halloween costume) is half-pit, half-rottweiler. When I found her wandering around my front yard, I got a few feet away and she flopped on her back and said “rub my belly.” No growling, no barking, no second thought.

She’s no guard dog at all. Water delivery guys, oil meter guys, food delivery guys all come in the house and she sits at their feet and says “Pet me, I’ll be your best friend.”

The only way she’d bark at an intruder is if the guy was carrying a teacup yorkie in his pocket. She barks her head off at other dogs, not people.

A good dog that will bark is a good security measure. That’s really what a dog does best. They use their better senses and alert you.

I had two a German shorthaired pointer that would bark it’s head off when someone came up the driveway. He is retired now at age 14 but still manages a bark or two. A great birdog in his day. He in my mind was a good security dog.

My other dog ,a German Shepherd, never barks but just looks like a bad ass. Likes to lay out on the porch and stare. Stares at everything with that German Shepherd stare.

When my kid was 8 the Shepherd almost killed another dog that made an agressive move towards my son. Sunk his teeth into the other dog’s neck and shook him. Very protective of the kids.

Neapolitan Mastiff. Desended from Roman arena and war dogs. Big and quiet. When I was in Italy a lot of people used them for guard dogs. I was told by locals that at night they stay in the shadows. If an intruder comes on the property they wait until he is in the yard and come up behind them to cut off escape. Not a pretty dog. Thick, heavy bone structure, very muscular. Slobbers!!! Males 25-32 inches at shoulders and anywhere from 120 to 200 lbs.

also check out
Dogo Argentino
Presa Canario
Anatolian Shepherd
Spanish Mastiff
Tibetian Mastiff

if you also want a guard dog to hunt with the Black Mouth Cur.
These are working breeds and need a strong, confident owner that will take the time to train them and exercise them.
Oh yeah. They also eat a lot and leave landmines that horses would be proud of.
here is a good research sitehttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/index.htm

Bulldog Pug .44 Special by Charter Arms 2000…

my German shepherd is nearly 11 now and slowed a bit but the best dog in the world.

i did Shutzhund w/ him for over five years so he’s attack trained, does search and rescue, and is obedient x10.

i work w/ children w/ mental illness as well, they tug his ears get in his face etc, he’s super cool, mellow, he reads situations impeccably well.

Shepherds will kill for there humans but they’re great family dogs too. Clowns at times, noble at other times.

That’s my shepherd in my avatar w/ my irish cap on. He’s 135lb an 31 in at the shoulders a monster of a dog.

he’s old and chill now though, birds and squirrels run right up on him in the yard and he’s like fuck it.

A Belgian Malinois, like a German Shepard but cooler, We had one for a while but we gave him to a family friend who had children and just lost their German Shepard. They love him.

http://www.protectiondogs.com/for_sale/adults_available.shtml

Crazy.

I was goign to post Belgian Malinois, but you already did.

I have a lab and a husky rotty mix. The lab is a great dog but is all bark, the husky rott doesn’t do much barking but is really protective even of the lab. Both great dogs both great with kids and will alert you if someone is trying to come in, give you time to let the pug .44 out of his pen.

Cool story about the husky mix. My lab was getting picked on by my father in-laws asshole lab, he’d chase my dog around and try to start shit, finally he bit at my lab.

The husky came up calmly sits between the two of them, the other lab starts barking getting in my dogs face, he just sat there with this crazy stare, finally without so much and yip my husky attacks, tackles and about kills my father in laws dog.

This happened right in front of me, didn’t see it coming at all, it was over in 5 seconds, the other dog never messed with either of them again.