T Nation

Doggcrapp Advice Needed

So about me, I’m looking for a routine to run on my off-season of rugby in order to add shift my physique so I can come back bigger and hopefully leaner for the next season.

I’m 19 years old, play rugby, lifting for 1 year and a half. 186-188 lbs, 5’8.

I was looking into this routine because of my new school schedule I won’t be able to follow my bro-split that I was running for a while which was the following :

Back - one day.
Chest - one day.
rest
Legs - one day.
Shoulders and arms - one day.

I’ve never really changed training routines since I started into 4 day splits so that’s why I’m asking because this 4 day split is not as effective as it used to be and I need to change that in order to achieve my goals you know.

In regards to the article linked above, 3 days a week seems plenty to me if done correctly and what I am interested in is the fact that those 3 days a week program kind of things target main muscles more than once a week so your muscle grows in cycles more often apparently.

I was thinking of running this or GVT and adding some cardio in the morning (never done cardio before other than rugby practices).

Any thoughts on what would be best for me ?

pic of me if needed

Your not ready for DC.

[quote]Amartin wrote:
Your not ready for DC.[/quote]
There’s no way you’d know if he’s ready or not from the info given. OP I’d look for a Joe Defranco program online since the guy has trained a bunch of guys for the NFL combine so the stuff he puts out is much more likely to help you reach your goals than a bodybuilding program

[quote]myself1992 wrote:

[quote]Amartin wrote:
Your not ready for DC.[/quote]
There’s no way you’d know if he’s ready or not from the info given. [/quote]

Well, to be fair, he said he was 19, and Dante said people shouldn’t do the program unless they were 26 or so.

So you technically can, I suppose.

[quote]myself1992 wrote:

[quote]Amartin wrote:
Your not ready for DC.[/quote]
There’s no way you’d know if he’s ready or not from the info given. OP I’d look for a Joe Defranco program online since the guy has trained a bunch of guys for the NFL combine so the stuff he puts out is much more likely to help you reach your goals than a bodybuilding program[/quote]

Yeah actually I would.

Read any of the stuff Dante has put out.

The kid readily admits that he is 19 years old and has only been training for 1 year.

Dante himself has said that DC is only for experienced trainers with years of training under their belts.

So yeah your argument just got shut down.

On the other hand, I do agree that a good basic program like Defrancos ws4sb would be a good fit., but as far as DC goes - not ready.

As an athlete, I’d suggest training with a program specific to what you’re trying to do. DC is geared mostly towards bodybuilders wanting to put on mass. As an athlete, I’d do something else that is more optimal towards your goal.

As someone with 1yr of experience, I’d highly suggest Madcow 5x5. You can’t go wrong training squats 3x per week. Don’t worry about your size, as you get stronger in each of your lifts you will progressively get bigger.

[quote]Amartin wrote:

[quote]myself1992 wrote:

[quote]Amartin wrote:
Your not ready for DC.[/quote]
There’s no way you’d know if he’s ready or not from the info given. OP I’d look for a Joe Defranco program online since the guy has trained a bunch of guys for the NFL combine so the stuff he puts out is much more likely to help you reach your goals than a bodybuilding program[/quote]

Yeah actually I would.

Read any of the stuff Dante has put out.

The kid readily admits that he is 19 years old and has only been training for 1 year.

Dante himself has said that DC is only for experienced trainers with years of training under their belts.

So yeah your argument just got shut down.

On the other hand, I do agree that a good basic program like Defrancos ws4sb would be a good fit., but as far as DC goes - not ready.[/quote]
I’ve read most of the stuff Dante has put out, even the entire cycles for pennies thread which he had deleted himself and was a bitch to find. I believe he has even put 160-180 lb guys on his progrm and brought them up to heavyweight size. Dante tends to be very conservative with the stuff he writes because he doesn’t want people doing stupid shit and likes them to exhaust every possible option for growth before moving on to the next option. He says that people should be so many years old or have trained for so many years because by then they’ll know what exercises work for them and have the required intensity to be able to juice the program for all it’s worth. For advanced trinees he uses the three way split and even a 4 way for some that need a lot of specialization work. Dante doesn’t want people who might not put in the required intensity for the program to work and then say it’s the programs fault, that’s basically it. I am not, however, saying that he is or isn’t ready for DC nor am I saying that he should do it which is why I told him to do DeFranco

Like I said, he’s not ready for DC.

Thanks for the help so far.

Well, to be honest, I have only one season of rugby left because I’m taking a beating from it. I have injured my lower body in more ways than possible and currently I can’t even squat because of an injured acl (anterior ligament that has been torn and now streched). I want to move on to bodybuilding since I like it a lot more. So
I’d like a more bodybuilding oriented routine. From what I understand, I need something to fit my level which is 1 year and a half roughly of training.

What do you guys think of 3 days program similar to DC ? What do you guys think of GVT ? I’m going to start doing legs again this week or next week probably take it slowly as 2 weeks ago I was in a hospital bed recovering from a knee injury once again and I don’t want to further injure my knee so I want to take it slowly.

Thanks again guys !

lol

[quote]armsbrah wrote:

What do you guys think of 3 days program similar to DC ? What do you guys think of GVT ? I’m going to start doing legs again this week or next week probably take it slowly as 2 weeks ago I was in a hospital bed recovering from a knee injury once again and I don’t want to further injure my knee so I want to take it slowly.

Thanks again guys !

[/quote]

you’re probably not ready for either

why don’t you get a beginners bodybuilding routine

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:

[quote]armsbrah wrote:

What do you guys think of 3 days program similar to DC ? What do you guys think of GVT ? I’m going to start doing legs again this week or next week probably take it slowly as 2 weeks ago I was in a hospital bed recovering from a knee injury once again and I don’t want to further injure my knee so I want to take it slowly.

Thanks again guys !

[/quote]

you’re probably not ready for either

why don’t you get a beginners bodybuilding routine
[/quote]

Alright, can you give me a few because the ones under training are kind of odd

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:
you’re probably not ready for either

why don’t you get a beginners bodybuilding routine
[/quote]
Truth!

You have to crawl before you walk…

…and it seems like you want to sprint.

You’re 19 and a beginner. Slow your roll and realize you have YEARS ahead of you. Worry about the basics and building your foundation with the simple programs before even thinking about the advanced shit.

You could try any typical 5 day split or a 4 way, just look at king beefs thread. You could also do Layne Norton’s PHAT, or GVT. Honestly any program out there from any respectable person that has worked on more than one person is good to go, just give that program a shot before switching programs brother

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
You could try any typical 5 day split or a 4 way, just look at king beefs thread. You could also do Layne Norton’s PHAT, or GVT. Honestly any program out there from any respectable person that has worked on more than one person is good to go, just give that program a shot before switching programs brother[/quote]

Alright, I was just using my own kind of split and wanted to get into a serious one.

Thanks for the help.

Oh for the love of God:

OP, I feel sorry for you because everyone in here is ripping on you for no reason rather than giving you a routine like you asked. I honestly don’t know what would be best for you but damn I wish people in here weren’t so high and mighty…

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:
OP, I feel sorry for you because everyone in here is ripping on you for no reason rather than giving you a routine like you asked. I honestly don’t know what would be best for you but damn I wish people in here weren’t so high and mighty…[/quote]

I don’t see you giving him a routine…

OP use the search function.

A lot of routines on this site.

Look into KingBeef, he had some great Max-OT routines.

Have a look at Myoreps.

Very similar to DC except you’re controlling fatigue rather than seeking it.

Can be set up same way as DC two way split.

That will give you a taste of Rest Pause to see whether you like it, benefit from it or whatever. From there you could gradually introduce other elements of DC if you desire/need to. Possibly straight sets to failure, then introduce the odd set with one rest pause, some static holds or exreme stretching etc.

Alternating GVT/DC every say 6 months would also be good as you’re training at different ends of the spectrum. Walk before you run, yes, but there are ways to speed your walk up a bit.

Try things for yourself, adjusting as you see fit, not because someone on a forum says you can’t do that until the day of your 26th birthday.

Gazz