Dog People - Big Dogs

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Purina Pro Plan was recommended by my Vet as well as my Aunt who is a champion Husky Breeder.

I don’t have a big dog but I feed it to my Beagle…[/quote]

One thing you need to know about Vets is when it comes to nutrition, they are a lot like doctors. They are not taught much about nutrition in med school. Our old Vet was asking what we were feeding our dogs at a check up once upon a time. I told him we’ve tried “Innova and Solid Gold.” He said he never head of those brands. But there were signs up all over his office for Science Diet, Pedigree, Purina and other lower quality foods. We’ve since switched Vets.

I’m not saying I know more than Vets or your Aunt when it comes to canine nutrition, but from everything I have read, Purina is not a top quality food.

[quote]dre wrote:
B rocK wrote:
Purina Pro Plan was recommended by my Vet as well as my Aunt who is a champion Husky Breeder.

I don’t have a big dog but I feed it to my Beagle…

One thing you need to know about Vets is when it comes to nutrition, they are a lot like doctors. They are not taught much about nutrition in med school.

I’m not saying I know more about Vets or your Aunt when it comes to canine nutrition, but from everything I have read, Purina is not a top quality food.

[/quote]

I was going to say the same, though I’m far from knowledgeable on the subject. But, most commercial brands won’t be the that good.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
dre wrote:
B rocK wrote:

One thing you need to know about Vets is when it comes to nutrition, they are a lot like doctors. They are not taught much about nutrition in med school.

I’m not saying I know more about Vets or your Aunt when it comes to canine nutrition, but from everything I have read, Purina is not a top quality food.

I was going to say the same, though I’m far from knowledgeable on the subject. But, most commercial brands won’t be the that good.[/quote]

The other nice thing about feeding your dogs top quality food is you don’t have to worry about the ingredients. I remember a couple months back when there was that big scare with contaminated food from China and people’s dogs were dying. I didn’t worry at all because I knew where my dog food is made and what is used.

any dog food brands people recommend? I was checking that site out above which seems helpful.[/quote]

Eagle Pack Holistic is a readily available fantastic food for large breeds.

No offense to those who have answered, but seriously stay away from brands like Purina.

Have a look at this thread, it will answer all of your questions as detailed as you could possibly need:

my mutt has hip displacia.
she gets glucosamine, i get it fom 1800 pet meds. My vet said to give him the ingredients list of the stuff I take and he would let me know if its ok.

He said the same thing about fish oil, although I havent thought about that yet. SHe also has rolling knee caps.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I had a Huskey who I had to put down almost a year ago. He was a couple month shy of 14, and until the last month or so, was in great shape. I did try giving him glucosamine and chondroitin, but what i think really helped over the years, was the natural peanut butter, and tuna I would mix into his food.

S
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that you had to put it down. Huskies are my fav… Here is a picture of my baby girl, but now she is all grown up!

any dog food brands people recommend? I was checking that site out above which seems helpful.[/quote]

Check out the “BARF” diet, its very very good for dogs, all natural and no fillers. I feed my dogs Primal which is frozen raw patties. It is VERY expensive, but its worth keeping your loved ones healthy. http://www.primalpetfoods.com/

I give my lab glucosamine. I’ve noticed he is no where near as stiff after walks. His legs used to lock up after maybe a mile and you could tell he was in pain. Not at all anymore! Almost as hyper as he was when he was a puppy. He is obviously much happier in general.

[quote]dre wrote:
B rocK wrote:

One thing you need to know about Vets is when it comes to nutrition, they are a lot like doctors. They are not taught much about nutrition in med school. Our old Vet was asking what we were feeding our dogs at a check up once upon a time. I told him we’ve tried “Innova and Solid Gold.” He said he never head of those brands. But there were signs up all over his office for Science Diet, Pedigree, Purina and other lower quality foods. We’ve since switched Vets.

I’m not saying I know more than Vets or your Aunt when it comes to canine nutrition, but from everything I have read, Purina is not a top quality food.

[/quote]

Exactly. I feed my dog Canidae. It’s good quality and reasonably priced. However, they must have changed something in their formula so I’m looking for something different. The ingredients are the same, but something’s different because his stool has changed.

If I could find something around $40/bag for 30-35 lbs of food that would be great.

I used to buy Nutro, but that site said it’s not the best and it was about $33 for a 30-35 lb bag IIRC

Family had a Malamute/Siberian Huskey that was pushing 125lbs, she was a little fat. Totally white with grey mask around eyes, looked like a small polar bear, lived till 11. glucosamine was the only special thing she got.

I want to get a black Cane Corso. He will be named Deebo.

Give my Baby Rowdy fish oil every day. Sometimes he takes it with no problems other times it becomes his next play toy for a while ;). He is still a pup but weighs in just over 60 lbs – gonna be a big Boxer I think.

mine would prefer Science Diet.
but when I cant afford dog food,I would cook up a big pot of rice,with hamburger gravy for them. its the only time rice or beans are used in my house,when the dogs have no food.

read the labels like you would your food.
if some sort of meat is the first thing listed than thats the one.

alot of foods use corn,rice or soy for food
I like the animals meat basicly if you read the label and think,hmmm that sounds pretty good. than go for it.

and about the rotties,I was raised with rotties
I have been raised with bigger dogs my whole life

the 2 I have now is my dane and a lab,chow mix
the lab chow mix is the older one,shes about 40 pounds or so and still acts like a puppy,but you look in her eyes and see the coudyness and you see the white thats streaked in her shiney black coat and you can tell shes been around .
hehe,I used to drive her around with me when she was about a year or 2 old.
in my early high school days ,my lad/chow would help me pick up chicks.

high school girls loved cute babies and cute puppies.
I used my baby sister at times to help me pick up girls.
and she just turned 20.

god where the hell did this time go.

If I could find something around $40/bag for 30-35 lbs of food that would be great.

I used to buy Nutro, but that site said it’s not the best and it was about $33 for a 30-35 lb bag IIRC[/quote]

I believe that’s about what I would pay for Canidae. Since malonetd buys it maybe he can help out with the price.

Now that Canidae makes a grain free option I might switch back to it.

[quote]Firebug9 wrote:
Give my Baby Rowdy fish oil every day. Sometimes he takes it with no problems other times it becomes his next play toy for a while ;). He is still a pup but weighs in just over 60 lbs – gonna be a big Boxer I think.[/quote]

He’s a great looking dog! I love boxers. I have a box/lab mix and I wish he had more of the boxer look to him. He just has that little white patch on his chest.

My 12 year old german shepard gets fish oil and glucosamine. Other than a little trouble going up stairs, she’s doing pretty good considering her age.

got a golder retriever, he’s quite big for a retriever though, and he’s got a big head and paws lol

had to find this thread today. had to put the old girl to sleep today. the family golden retriever has now moved on up to a better place. not a word of a lie, she was 17 and a half years old. she was blind, and deaf, could still smell and had horrible hips. her condition just deteriotated badly over the weekend and she then had to be put down. the vet said he could not even find any veins to inject the stuff in to her, her pulse was so weak.

RIP Buona, we miss you

feel for ya mate, My dog’s 11, not 17 or anything but he’s still been there more than half and I just can’t imagine him not being here