Dog People - Big Dogs

who here has a big dog?

anyone give their dog omega-3s?
I just started giving my dane (5 yrs old), one Flameout pill per day.
Figured a little more would be better, but something is better than nothing.

big dogs get hip issues so if it will help her as she gets older I’m all for it.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
who here has a big dog?

anyone give their dog omega-3s?
I just started giving my dane (5 yrs old), one Flameout pill per day.
Figured a little more would be better, but something is better than nothing.

big dogs get hip issues so if it will help her as she gets older I’m all for it.[/quote]

i also have a dane got her in 93 i think

I never gave my dog omegas,but I have given her Glucosamine and when I was getting it for my hand celebrex and viox .when she ws attacked by coyotes and her hind end was messed up.

wow, she’s really for a Dane… pure bred? most books say 6-9 yrs is typical for them. I’ve heard of some living to be 11 or so. But damn, that’s good. Hope mine lives that long, I’ll be a wreck.

wow, she’s really for a Dane… pure bred? most books say 6-9 yrs is typical for them. I’ve heard of some living to be 11 or so. But damn, that’s good. Hope mine lives that long, I’ll be a wreck.[/quote]

ya the vet 4 years ago told us tha she had about 6 months left.
she is declining though she had bleeding out one side of her nose,sure sign of heart failure.
but this did not start untill a few weeks ago. its her time and actually its been her time

yes she is a pure breed harlequin great dane
shes gotten alot of grey in her later but shes white,grey,black

I dont remember excatly when we got her but my mom had me choose what kind of dog I wanted because I had my own money.
heres a pic of her when she was a pup.
I reconise the house and I know the house was sold and we moved in 93 or maybe 94
either way shes been part of my family for half my life.
sorry we didnt own digi camera back then and its a scan of a bad picture

We have pure breed golden retrievers at our house and i know my mom has given them glucosamine before because pure bred dogs are known to have more health issues. They also have arthritis and some joint problems.

years later in her bed
i take horrible pics

ya large breeds have more issues

and they have a lower life span the larger they are

a vet told me you can give them pretty much what you would a human

tylonal,aleve ect
I never asked about omegas though

TC had an informative post on what he feeds his dog and why. rUN A SEARCH.

[quote]Nich wrote:

[/quote]

besides chocolate, grapes, raisins, nuts, onions, raw potatoes, xylitol, alcohol, coffee avocado, garlic, etc

[quote]Joris wrote:
Nich wrote:

besides chocolate, grapes, raisins, nuts, onions, raw potatoes, xylitol, alcohol, coffee avocado, garlic, etc[/quote]

sorry
I meant for joint health,and joint pain

Beautiful picture, Nich, what a sweet old girl! I also liked Jehovahs’ picture of his dane with with the cap and shades.

My sister had a Great Dane that her then 6 year old son named “Boudreaux Huckleberry Johnson.” What a sweet dog. It’s amazing how sensitive they are; you raise your voice the slightest bit and their feelings get hurt. Sweet dogs.

When I was in college I bartended at our local golf course. A lady there would give her small dog, Jojo, coffee every morning with 1/2 & 1/2 and a little sugar. The dog usually drank about two cups.

ehh, mine sheds like crazy

I have a 9 month old malamute, and he doesn’t get anything other than dog food, dog biscuits, and rawhide bones. Anytime I let him have anything else, he throws up all over the place.

We just carved pumpkins this weekend and he got into the pile of scraps. I came home to 3 spots of orange throw-up on my carpet yesterday.

You can buy different food brands that list omegas as an ingredient. I feed mine Iams, and they even list what percentage of the food is omega-6 and omega-3.

We periodically give out two dogs fish oil with their meals, but not everyday. We have thought about getting them on some sort of Omega3 daily though.

But both of my dogs are 60 lbs. each so I don’t know if they are considered big dogs. I don’t consider them big at least.

EDIT: If anyone wants to know exactly how their dog food stacks up against other dog food, here’s a great site for it.

We usually feed our two dogs Innova Red Meat or something equivalent. No grains, no corn, no crap. We also have fed them a homemade diet for a while, tried feeding b.a.r.f. (bones and raw food)for awhile, we’ve basically tried it all. One of our dogs has allergy issues which lead to all the experimenting with their food.

I had a Huskey who I had to put down almost a year ago. He was a couple month shy of 14, and until the last month or so, was in great shape. I did try giving him glucosamine and chondroitin, but what i think really helped over the years, was the natural peanut butter, and tuna I would mix into his food.

S

any dog food brands people recommend? I was checking that site out above which seems helpful.

any dog food brands people recommend? I was checking that site out above which seems helpful.[/quote]

I’m a big advocate of grain free for dogs and higher protein content, we’ve tried the following:

Below are dry kibble, grain free but are expensive:
Innova Red Meat (my preferred choice)
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon
Taste of the Wild - three different “flavors” by them, both dogs currently on this

Dry kibble, not grain free but good:
Canidae All Life Stages(just noticed they have a grain free option now)
Solid Gold Wolf King

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Purina Pro Plan was recommended by my Vet as well as my Aunt who is a champion Husky Breeder.

I don’t have a big dog but I feed it to my Beagle…

Does anyone have a Rotweiler? (sp)

That’s the kind of dog I wanna to get next!