Dog Lovers

Me?

My parents boxer that I lived with when I was at home died about a year back :frowning:

Best dog I’d ever known by far.

Psst. Hey bud. I got some high quality stick right here. All ya gotta do is take it.

Yeah boxers are great. Tonnes of personality.

[quote]csulli wrote:
My parents boxer that I lived with when I was at home died about a year back :frowning:

Best dog I’d ever known by far.[/quote]

I’ve lost a few. It sucks balls each and every time.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Grew up with two English Sheepdogs and a Neopolitan Mastiff, and have spent significant time with damn near any breed you can think of (mean that literally). I’ve had Pits since '05, and I doubt I’ll ever buy another dog. Their loyalty, intellect, character, spirit, silliness and temperament are unmatched. Have 3 (including the male I got in '05) and love and trust them more than anyone not named “mom”. [/quote]

I know pitbulls have a bad name and pitbull owners are always trying to defend them as “trustworthy” but I believe they’re making a fundamental error about the nature of dogs. I’ll give an example with another breed to show what I mean:

Owner posts “cute” video of dog “playing” with baby. In actuality, the dog in this video is attempting to “herd” the baby. Herding is a modification of the hunting instinct. It’s predatory behaviour. Although the “kill” instinct has been bred out of working dogs, the dog will often “escalate” by snapping at the baby if it perceives that the baby is not obeying.

Terriers still have the “kill” instinct and need to be watched around children no matter how friendly and loyal they may appear to be.[/quote]

Everything you wrote applies to all domesticated animals. Labs and Border Collies record the most human biting incidents each year according to the AKC. My mom has both, and they’re great. Educate yourself and spend time with a breed before you condemn it based on something you’ve read. Again, I’ve never been around a more trusting and trustworthy breed than a pit. There’s an old joke amongst pit owners that if your house got broken into they’d help walk your t.v. to the door 'cause they love people.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

I’ve lost a few. It sucks balls each and every time. [/quote]

You’ve got some beautiful dogs there, bud. Boxers are awesome. Knuckleheads, but super loveable knuckleheads.

My male will be 10 in March, and my two girls will be 8 & 7 this year. Try not to think about how long they’ve got 'cause even thinking about it works me over. Not sure how I’m gonna make it when they’re gone.

I agree. Which is why I gave an example of a working dog. I like pitbulls but I don’t agree that any dog of any breed is entirely “trustworthy” in any situation. The dog’s instinct needs to be understood. And pitbulls have been bred for gameness and kill instinct.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

I agree. Which is why I gave an example of a working dog. I like pitbulls but I don’t agree that any dog of any breed is entirely “trustworthy” in any situation. The dog’s instinct needs to be understood. And pitbulls have been bred for gameness and kill instinct.[/quote]

Ah. We’re basically on the same page. As a dog owner, one needs to educate themselves about the(ir) breed so they know what they have. Pits, for example, were farm dogs (amongst other things). For hundreds of years they were used to get vermin of your land. So, it’s wise to surround your pit with as many different breeds (big and small) so it’s not caught off guard the first time it see’s a chihuahua. Know it’s cliche, but it really is how you raise 'em. I’ve never wanted my guy’s to know they’ve got Terminator in their DNA, so they’ve always been treated like teddy bear’s.

I’d recommend a German shepherd - Amstaff Terrier mix, but I already got the best one on the planet (he’s the one in the middle)

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

You’ve got some beautiful dogs there, bud. Boxers are awesome. Knuckleheads, but super loveable knuckleheads.

My male will be 10 in March, and my two girls will be 8 & 7 this year. Try not to think about how long they’ve got 'cause even thinking about it works me over. Not sure how I’m gonna make it when they’re gone. [/quote]

I know exactly how you feel. The big boy in my Avatar is Dempsey; we had to put him down last Thanksgiving. I still miss him and me and my wife and boy still regularly talk about what a good friend he was when something happens that reminds us of him.

[quote]biggestfrank wrote:
I’d recommend a German shepherd - Amstaff Terrier mix, but I already got the best one on the planet (he’s the one in the middle)[/quote]

Beautiful dog you’ve got there. I love German Shepherds - although with one qualification: today they’re bred as show dogs, like most thoroughbreds. And for some reason people seem to like German Shepherds with a strange angle to the rear making them look like frogs. Best to avoid these lines. See pic for reference.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

My male will be 10 in March, and my two girls will be 8 & 7 this year. Try not to think about how long they’ve got 'cause even thinking about it works me over. Not sure how I’m gonna make it when they’re gone. [/quote]

I know exactly how you feel. The big boy in my Avatar is Dempsey; we had to put him down last Thanksgiving. I still miss him and me and my wife and boy still regularly talk about what a good friend he was when something happens that reminds us of him.
[/quote]

Dogs have all of man’s positive qualities minus all of our bullshit. Why I generally prefer 'em over humans. He’s a helluva dog, man. Sorry for y’all’s loss.