Dog Days

Someone gave me a link to this and I thought it was worth passing along.

LB great video, great fighters.

[quote]Dude623 wrote:
LB great video, great fighters.[/quote]

Truth brother. There’s so much good stuff out there, we’ve got no excuses for not improving!

19.03.2015 Target Fitness - Conditioning

Great session this morning. Kettle bell conditioning, an hour long.
I didn’t eat before training and felt the better for it.
My shoulders feel good, my elbows feel good… I still have the niggle in my left ankle, but other than that I’m fine.

Training this morning was 6 no. rounds - 8 x 30 second stations, 10 seconds intra.

I performed well - the best I have in quite some time and feel healthy afterwards.
I’m boxing tonight and will be starting camp for the next fight.

RPE: 7

25.03.2015 am BOXING

I’m overdue a catchup here in this log.
I’m settling into a new phase of training, trouble shooting the times, gyms and techniques I’m using.
Nutrition has been really good this week, maybe a little light on protein, but can add more.

I’ve really started to think about my training and am programming in a way which should allow me to work on my weaknesses.

Yesterday evening I led a session through the following;

Warmup
Exercise the length of the Floor - Run back
(i) A Skips (ii) Leg Swings (iii) One Leg Deadlift (iii) Bear Crawls (iv) Inchworm (v) Lateral Skips
Stationery Mobility;
(i) Row to Flye
(ii) Squat pauses
(iii)Side Lying Windmill
(iv) YTW’s
(v) Hindu Pushups

Footwork Line Drill;
I had the club seperate into 3 groups of six boxers with each standing arms distance behind the other.
As a group then they followed the instruction of the leading coach…
If the group follows instruction nobody bumps into one another and nobody gets hit
(i) Advance/Retreat
(ii)Advance/Retreat & Laterals
(iii) Advance/Retreat with straight punches

Here, I retreated to training and being coached.

Footwork drills;
Attacking Drill
Retreat Drills

Partnered 3 step drill (reactions)

Slipping Drills
Pivot Drills
Rolling Drills

Linear Shadowboxing

Sparring;

I was asked in to spar some younger guys to help them develop.
This was pretty restricted, but I could still work on some defense, boxing southpaw, some slick counters and then just helping them.
I got in about 6x2’s with the little guys and then had to give 3 rounds to my other half, who is boxing really well at the moment.

I then worked on some padwork with PJ. He’s got some great concepts and had me work on changing the angle a lot.
He’s going to have me work on rhythm, reaction and cohesion between stages.

Cooldown

25.03.2015 am BOXING

Awake nice and early for my first session of my new boxing training… in my old gym. The first place I ever learned to fight!

Jake is a guy I started with and I’ve asked him for his help in the run up to this fight.
He and i were the only guys in there at 6.00 this morning.
We started off with a session of my own design;

Warmup
5 Mins - Squats, Renegade Rows, Foot March Plank, Hindu Pushups, Side Lying Windmills
5 Mins - Skipping

10 Mins - 4 x 2’s Movement Drills (with 30 secs break)
15 Mins - 4 x 3’s Offense Drills (with 45 Secs Break) (i) First Phase Attack (ii) Linear Attack Drill (iii) HIA (iv) 3 for 3 attack/defend
15 Mins - 4 x 3’s Defend & Counter (i) Slip Out (ii) Down Parries (iii) Roll Out (iv) Catch & Roll

10 Mins Cooldown with bodyweight

RPE: 6

This session was really beneficial and I can see it improving as we become accustomed to one another.
Fantastic foundation for intelligent training.

Love this;

26.03.2015 am Target Fitness Conditioning

Tough to get out of bed this morning.
I had about 7 hours sleep or so (and took my ZMA) but I still woke quite tired.
I took no foods in before training either, but felt great when I got on the gym floor.
I’ll try remember the session; though its hazy!

Warmup - Gerry’s Warmup Routine

(i) KB Swing, KB Snatch, ankle touches (x2)
(ii) KB Swing, see saw Press, KB plyo pushup (x2)
(iii)KB Swing, ski jumps, KB Squat (x2)
(iv)KB Swing, 1/4 TGU, Plank lateral crunch, Russian KB Situp. (x2)
(v)KB Swing, Thruster KB, Upright Row KB, mount climbers (x2)
(vi)KB Swing, Good Morning, KB Windmill (x2)

Cooldown - Gerry’s Routine

Felt Great throughout this session. Getting bigger and stronger for sure.
Nutritional approach seems to be working!

Donny,
Ok , whats up? Still training and fighting? Seriously, hope you and yours are doing well. Check back when you get time. Stay safe.

[quote]idaho wrote:
Donny,
Ok , whats up? Still training and fighting? Seriously, hope you and yours are doing well. Check back when you get time. Stay safe. [/quote]
Idaho, whats happening man?

All is well here - thanks for asking!
Its been really busy as I’ll summarise below

I moved jobs and got made senior with a new, albeit smaller company.
They all work hard, but its allowing me a lot more predictability in my schedule.
This area of construction is what we grew up as kids and it was our bread and butter. So I’m truely happy with my work situation.

I moved house too; I’m living in an apartment 8 miles from my family home with my girlfriend.
They say you don’t know a person until you live with them…
And I’m pretty sure that I’m slowly driving her like full crazy -
but as long as I’m happy, that’s all that really matters…
Seriously though, Its been a really smooth transition and she’s a great girl.

Training has been consistent - but at a lower intensity.
I wouldn’t even call it pre-season type training. I’d call it troubleshooting.
A lot of filmed sparring and drilling - poking holes in my technique and trying to put new drills in place to rectify those issues.

I’m trying to sign a fight June 6th -
with a guy who beat me actually, but he doesn’t seem to be too cooperative signing the rematch.

Hope all is well with yyou and looking forward to catching up with all the ggoings on on the board

Congrats on the new job. Best of luck with the rematch!

[quote]fearnloathingnyc wrote:
Congrats on the new job. Best of luck with the rematch![/quote]

X2^^^^^^

Donny,
Glad you are still with us, always enjoyed your log and learned a lot. When you have the time, go over to the "PBF vs Pacman " and give us your breakdown on the fight. Stay Safe and good luck on the trials and tribulations of living with a woman:))

Good weekend for me

Good man. I see from boxrec you won on points, how did the fight go, comprehensive victory I presume?

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
Good man. I see from boxrec you won on points, how did the fight go, comprehensive victory I presume?[/quote]
Hey man, what’s happening?

Yeah, nice points win.
I took the fight on one weeks notice. Most calculated cut I’ve ever performed and I got it 100% right thank goodness.
The opponent had been scheduled to box another Irish guy who broke his hand and I got the call.

The last weeks training went like this
(Keep in mind I hadn’t actually been training all that hard leading up to this!)

S Sparring 12 x 3s Good Rounds.
S Sparring - 6 x 3s Good rounds.
M 3 Mile run am. Boxing pm - Shadowboxing etc.
T Conditioning am. Boxing pm - technique.
W 3 Mile run am. Sparring pm.
T Training 7.00pm - 2 hour session, no contact boxing session. Cut food 12pm Cut water
F Weighed in 12.30pm 76.2kg / 168 lbs

The cut was fine,but my technical sharpness was badly affected.
I lost the first round which really shocked me. Thereafter I just put the fot on the throttle, went forward ad beat him up.
Immensely disapppointed I didnt take him out, but a lot of lessons learned.

Eamonn O’Kane vs. Lewis Talor was a wicked fight. Great great scrap.

I travelled back home Sunday and was essentially crippled yesterday after the journey.
Back training this morning and felt surprisingly good.

Hey Donnie,

just a heads up - I posted a summary of my rope climbing experiment in the 531 section.

DD- Nice points win. That has got to feel good, as well as boost the confidence. Makes you feel like its worth the effort. Well bask in the sun for a while.

13.10.2015 AM

It’s been too long.
I last boxed in June, a good win on short notice. Following that victory I began training quite intensely with a view to a fight in September.
This never materialised and focus was adjusted towards November.
I had been scheduled to box November 6th, but curiously I was removed from the card.
Mental fatigue had become and issue and motivation was lacking.

Honestly, I spent a few weeks indulging in all that I had abstained from while I had been training so hard.
I maintained strength training and let the conditioning slide.

Right now I am at my peak weight; I’ve never been heavier. I am muscular, but carrying useless fat.
I feel strong with all joints and muscles healthy. I’ve adopted a much more disciplined stretching and mobility regime.
My strength work has changed greatly from past work, I no longer program my own strength work. A coach I’ve known since II was young helps me out there.
I was in the gym this morning 7.30am for some easy work;

Mobility;
Rolling, Crawls, Deadbugs, Birddogs, Squat Stretches, 90/90’s

3 Nr. Rounds; 20kg Bells

KB Snatch 10/10
KB Squat 10 (Double)
KB Swing 10
KB Press 5 (Double)
Pushups

2 Nr. Rounds

Ab Rollouts 10
KB Windmill 10/10
Leg Pushdowns 20
TRX Side Plank 30/30

RPE; 5

14.10.2015 AM STRENGTH

I was awake early. Too early, as my coach called; he had a sick son and cancelled our session. I went back to bed for a couple of hours.
I was coaching at 7.15am, so I got in there and did some mobility.
My younger cousin was in training. Strength this morning. He’s had a lot of injuries, but with new mobility, stretching and good technique he’s going to go far.

I had my own strength session afterwards. My strength coach Don set the program and I was also on for a strength day.

Warmup;
Foam Rolling & Mobility

Hang Cleans to Push Press;
5x3s
3x1s

Trap Bar Deadlifts 6 x 1’s
Bench Press 6 x 1’s

One Armed Rows 3 x 5/5’s
Nordics 3 x 9’s
Back Extensions 3 x 5’s
Landmines 3 x 5/5’s

RPE; 7; Some good lifts

Good to see you back brother. What’s next on the horizon for you?

Hey London; good to see you posting too man.

Not entirely sure when it will materialise, but relatively sue my next will be a tilt for the national title.
Hope all is well. Loved your log

16.10.2015 AM Mobility & Core

Been doing some work with my cousin - just mobility and core today.

Foam Rolling;
Calves, Hamstrings, IT Bands, Quads, Glutes, T Spine

Mobility;
Bearcrawls, SPiderman Crawls, Birddogs, Deadbugs, 90\90s, Squat Mobility.

Corework;
3x
Ab Roller
KB Windmill
Leg Raises
TRX side plank
Aquaman

TGU’S
Armbars
Headstands
Handstands

RPE: 6