Dog Days

08.01.15 am CONDITIONING

I got up at 5 with relative ease.
I really need to do a laundry day; I’ve seriously fallen behind here haha

On the gym floor for 6.00am.
There were four of us training.

This kettlebell session comprised of 5 exercises back to back.
This constituted one round.
I performed 5 rounds with double 20kg bells.

The core circuit was 4 exercises. 10 repetitions a station and 4 rotations.
Nice tidy little session, tough but enjoyable!

RPE:8

pm BOXING

I arrived at the boxing gym and there was another am club visiting for sparring.
I managed to get 3 rounds light sparring. I had to completely hold back, but by attenuating my weak points I exposed a few areas I need to work on badly.
Next were some defense drills and calisthenics.

Finally PJ, an old friend and good trainer took me for some padwork. I’ve been doing a lot of padwork with PJ lately and it is certainly helping.
We did about 8 x 3’s of easy technical pads- repeating isolated combinations or movements.
This was really enjoyable and was again beneficial. Another coach - Hughie, lent a critical eye.
They were much more complimentary than I would have been.
I sense some bad habits and mistakes that I must erase immediately.

RPE: 6

So it was 10.00 before I got home and 10.30 before I was washed, had my casein and glutamine in.
I ran out of ZMA so that is on the shopping list.

I went to bed and fell asleep just after 12.00 I think.
I know that I was having a really good sleep until I woke at 2.30. I heard a bang.
I thought I was dreaming at first, but then sure enough i heard it again and again.
I got up and I checked the front door, the back door and initially I couldn’t figure it out.

Our house is heated using a solid fuel furnace. It heats the LPHW for the radiators.
The ash door had come open and the furnace heat exploded. It heated the water system to 96 degrees celsius!
(100 celsius being boiling point!)
Released the pressure through the PRV and simply running off the hot water in the house.
It was pretty crazy.

Sleep ruined = morning off.

Bit behind on some sessions here.
I’ve had some insanely tough training sessions in the interim.
I’ll try and give you an abstract of the sessions.

10.01.15 am CONDITIONING

This was a Saturday am session which meant I had a good night in bed and a little lie in.
I felt rested and strong going in.

45 minutes of body weight complexes before a ten minute Kettlebell finisher was the order of the day.
The body weight session was moderate, got a good sweat up and felt good.
The finisher was a killer and definitely ramped up the RPE for the session.

RPE; 9

12.01.15 pm BOXING

I feel my training has been fantastic, but my nutrition less than perfect.
I am very fit, but not in perfect condition.
I programmed this session to make myself suffer and to remind myself of the level I need to be.

Warmup; Joints and Muscles
General loosen up

4x3s Bagwork - Open bagwork. Lots of combinations and angles
4x3s Sparring - Loose and technical, I felt fresh and powerful
4x3sShadowboxing - Combinations, head movement and defense
4x3s Bagwork - set rounds. Each minute I repetitiously fired a combination with the best technique I could.
4x3s Defense work - (i) slips (ii) guarding (iii) dips and rolls (iv) open
5 Mile run*** a RUN not a jog.

Cooldown

RPE: 8
This session I meant to be intense. My work rate was up, my aggression was up - everything.
But I was psyched too, so when it was all over I was ready for more. Slept really well after.

13.01.15 am Conditioning

Early morning session…
Like really early.
The weather is at its worst, its cold, frosty and not very inviting.
Dragged myself from bed and got to the gym.
Had a big circuit made out with lots of new exercises.
Performed really well.

RPE:7

Trying to nail the diet. Need to get a scales to monitor, what I hope will be gradual weight loss.

Holy baby Santa…

Hope to hell things are going alright for you.

You posted about gluten free pizza crust and then fell off the internet. That isn’t quite a “call the authorities, we are concerned” type of situation, but it is close.

Hope you are well.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:
Hope to hell things are going alright for you.

You posted about gluten free pizza crust and then fell off the internet. That isn’t quite a “call the authorities, we are concerned” type of situation, but it is close.

Hope you are well.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]
Good morning Sir!

All is good. Its fight week and training has been good.
I’m a little heavy, but feeling really fit/healthy/strong.
I should make the weight just fine.

I had refrained from posting as my training was a little “fractured.”
Training had been very intense until I was hit by the flu. There’s a little epidemic locally; a few elderly people have died because of it, but thankfully I wasn’t quite struck down by it.
I had one conditioning session that saw me nigh on collapse, so I took 3 days off.
(on the request… instruction… orders of my girlfriend.)
The only bother I had was a congested chest and once that passed I returned training.

I’ll take this opportunity to outline my return session:

31.01.15 AM CONDITIONING

6 Mile Run to the Gym - 35 Minutes***

Bodyweight Rounds
2 x 3 Minute Rounds - Warmup Exercises
5 x 5 Minutes Rounds - 4 exercises, 10 sec break between, repeat twice.
10 Minute Finisher - 3 Cleans, 1 Press,2Squats; 2 x 24kg KB’s

6 Mile Run Home - 45 Minutes.
RPE:9

I felt really good, fully recovered and the confidence shot up for Saturday!
I was jaded after the session, but my form was good to finish the KB’s and a scalding hot bath left me with zero muscle soreness.

I hope all is well with you my friend - I’ve been reading a lot recently, thank you for your contributions to this log and this board :slight_smile:

***As a sidenote, in relation to my time running to the gym…
I was pretty impressed. I didn’t jog. I ran, felt strong throughout and you know…
I was happy with that time.

Before I posted to T-Nation I decided to check the world record for 10,000m.
Kenesia Bekele 26:17:53

You fast little fecker!!!
What the HELL?!
Is that even human?

Good to see all’s well mate. All the best for the weekend. 6 miles in 35 minutes is extremely impressive - 6 x back to back sub 6 minute miles is nothing to sniff at.

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
Good to see all’s well mate. All the best for the weekend. 6 miles in 35 minutes is extremely impressive - 6 x back to back sub 6 minute miles is nothing to sniff at. [/quote]
Thanks mate - I guess this is a routine outing, but I’m well prepared and boxing well.
I boxed a 5x3’s exhibition two weeks ago and was really satisfied with my defense.

Fitness is definitely at a high level.

I can also definitely identify areas I will change in my training before I fight again.

Hope yourr own training is going well.
I saw you’re adopting 531. With your discipline, you will excel.

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:

Good to see all’s well mate. All the best for the weekend. 6 miles in 35 minutes is extremely impressive - 6 x back to back sub 6 minute miles is nothing to sniff at. [/quote]
Thanks mate - I guess this is a routine outing, but I’m well prepared and boxing well.
I boxed a 5x3’s exhibition two weeks ago and was really satisfied with my defense.

Fitness is definitely at a high level.

I can also definitely identify areas I will change in my training before I fight again.

Hope yourr own training is going well.
I saw you’re adopting 531. With your discipline, you will excel.[/quote]

Thanks bud. Training is going pretty reasonably at the moment. I’m getting to the end of my first week on 5/3/1 and I really like it. Can’t believe I didn’t get on it sooner, ego got in the way I guess. I can see myself sticking with it for a long time, it has already helped me focus and dial in some goals. I know you’re a fan, and it definitely doesn’t seem to have done you any harm at all!

Great to see you are ready. You have worked far too long and too hard for this Saturday to be derailed by such a small thing as influenza. OK, no bullshit I am glad you recovered, and rest is important so secondary issues don’t show up. Remember, you want the other guy to have to seek medical.

I am doing alright, thanks.

Regards,

Robert A

Thanks bud. Training is going pretty reasonably at the moment. I’m getting to the end of my first week on 5/3/1 and I really like it. Can’t believe I didn’t get on it sooner, ego got in the way I guess. I can see myself sticking with it for a long time, it has already helped me focus and dial in some goals. I know you’re a fan, and it definitely doesn’t seem to have done you any harm at all![/quote]
Good to hear.

The 531 protocol seems to enthuse that slow steady progress equals long term benefits - and I do believe in that. It fits with the boxing ethos.
Keep it up man :slight_smile:

[quote]Robert A wrote:
Great to see you are ready. You have worked far too long and too hard for this Saturday to be derailed by such a small thing as influenza. OK, no bullshit I am glad you recovered, and rest is important so secondary issues don’t show up. Remember, you want the other guy to have to seek medical.

I am doing alright, thanks.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]
Glad to say I’m fully recovered - training yesterday evening and this morning went well.

Glad all’s well :slight_smile:

02.02.2015 pm BOXING

Finished work at 5.30.
It had been a good day; busy and it passed quickly.
At 5.00pm I had a shake; 1 scoop whey, 1 tsp. glutamine and 200ml of milk.

I dumped my gear in the gym and jogged to the boxing club - roughly 3 miles.

When I got to the gym I did the following;
4 x 3’s Bagwork; Open; loose combinations, movement and defense.
4 x 3’s Shadowboxing; Loose; a lot of footwork, head movement and combinations
4 x 3’s Bagwork; More pressure and power, lots of combinations

I jogged back to the gym, showered and checked my weight.
I had to look twice…
I thought I couldn’t have lost that much. I met my girlfriend and we went back to my place.
Sure enough the scales said 4 pounds down since morning.

I’m really well hydrated- the only difference is I’ve been drinking a lot of green tea- I must have been holding a lot of water.
Anyway, I won’t complain. I’m not going to have to cut at all!

RPE: 7

03.02.2015 am CONDITIONING

Awake this morning at 5.00am. I had a really good sleep last night, but it still wasn’t easy getting the feet out of bed.
Stripping down and stepping on the scales my day got off to a good start - I’m right where I want to be.

I had a shake - Whey, Glutamine and peanut Butter.
We arrived into the gym at 6.00am.
Gerry had the same setup as last Tuesday… the same setup that nearly rendered my unconscious last Tuesday.
Today, I don’t think I broke a sweat until round 3. My confidence really grew and I was glad to have done it.

RPE: 7

Wish you all the best!

[quote]jorrytommy wrote:
Wish you all the best![/quote]
Greatly appreciated, thank you

I was literally just out of the ring…
I haven’t actually watched this yet, so I dont know what rubbish I was talking but here’s where we’re at…

Good man, congratulations on the win. You look more like you went for a walk in the park.

Good man, congratulations on the win. You look more like you went for a walk in the park.[/quote]
Almost embarrassed by it mate.
Got boo’ed quite a lot for boxing so defensively;
but on the plus side, video evidence doesnt show me being hit, at all.

Congrats on the WIN, I thought that was a good interview. Is there anywhere we can catch the fight.

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:

Good man, congratulations on the win. You look more like you went for a walk in the park.[/quote]
Almost embarrassed by it mate.
Got boo’ed quite a lot for boxing so defensively;
but on the plus side, video evidence doesnt show me being hit, at all.[/quote]

Not that you need reassurance, and I haven’t seen the fight, but I’m guessing from your interview you went in there and executed your game plan immaculately. As you said, you’re known as an offensive fighter. All well and good, until you meet someone who can (out)match you offensively. You went in there to work your defense and stick to the plan in front of a crowd trying to pressure you into doing something rash. People in the audience don’t necessarily have the personal experience, or recognise that fights are important learning experiences for fighters looking to progress, and that opponents are picked to let you achieve a particular thing as you climb the ladder. There’s times for fights full of drama, and blood an glory, but you only have so many of them before they take their toll, and it’s smart to save it for the fights/opponents where you can make your name and step up a level.

Long story short, fuck anyone who boos you mate. Keep your health and your career strong, and keep working towards the bigger picture. And don’t forget about us when you hit the big time (I’ve never been to Vegas, just saying)!