T Nation

Dog Days

I've decided to log my training here under the eye of people who live the life and who can lend their advice and criticism.
I'm here to learn and to help if I can.

I am a 25 year old boxer, competing at Super Middleweight under 168lbs or 76.2kg.
I train as hard as I can and I honestly enjoy doing so.

This morning was my first return to training, but I woke easily at 6am. I had completely failed to prepare my kitchen, but I still managed a reasonable breakfast of Oat granola and natural yoghurt. Nutrition will be my key, so I have to be a lot more attentive here.

Gym session at 7am.
I warmed up with some mobility exercises and grabbed a medicine ball for plyos.
Step Forward throws 3 3 3 3 (each side)
Step Laterally 3 3 3 3 (each side)
Step Back throws 3 3 3 3 (each side)
Power Snatch 6 light sets of triples. 40kg.
Benchpress Triples; 6 sets increasing load.
Static Bicycle; 20 minutes low resistance.

Very basic first session back. I won’t feel I’m back training until I hit the boxing gym tonight.
Took Syntha 6 for recovery after this session. Seems to be a very sugary sort of supplemnt, so I may get rid of it quickly in favour of another supplement i use much more frequently.

Looking forward to it man. Best of luck.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Looking forward to it man. Best of luck.[/quote]
Thanks fella; your log obviously the inspiration to commit thoughts to words!

This is awesome. I’m sure we’ll all benefit a lot from this.

Sorry to hear about the decision. Getting any blemish on your record is always disappointing, more so when it is undeserved. It’s hard to take when you’ve made so many sacrifices just to be in the ring on fight night. At the end of the day, all any of us can do is try harder next time to take the decision out of the judges hands. Props to you mate for traveling away for the bout. You’ll be a better fighter and a more rounded person for the experience. Do you know the areas you could have done better in to make the decision go in your favour? Do you have a date in mind for when you’re looking to fight again?

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
Sorry to hear about the decision. Getting any blemish on your record is always disappointing, more so when it is undeserved. It’s hard to take when you’ve made so many sacrifices just to be in the ring on fight night. At the end of the day, all any of us can do is try harder next time to take the decision out of the judges hands. Props to you mate for traveling away for the bout. You’ll be a better fighter and a more rounded person for the experience. Do you know the areas you could have done better in to make the decision go in your favour? Do you have a date in mind for when you’re looking to fight again?[/quote]
Thanks for the kind words mate; when its all said and done, I’ll have tasted the best and worst parts of our sport. Hopefully when the time comes this will make me more qualified to pass on some experience.

The decision seems to have been predetermined. I dont believe anything outside of a stoppage could have gotten me the victory, but there certainly are areas in which my boxing could have been better.
He clinched a lot and I failed to break from this with effective punching. I feel I need to lower my base and allow only one shoulder to come into contact to prevent this happening again. I’m thinking of the Romanza style of boxing here (Marquez, Finito etc.)… I will have to learn here.
I also neglected to capitalise on counter opportunities. Perhaps out of arrogance I made him miss and failed to capitalise. Lesson learned I guess?

Ok, little bit of a catch up on last night’s session.

Arrived in the gym at 6.30 and began to warm up. The junior amateurs filtered in and their training got underway at 6.45.
A very generic aerobic warmup was followed by some pressups, some dynamic stretching and a few bodyweight exercises.
Joining the juniors I began with 3 x 3s bagwork.
After the weekend I focused on lowering my base; keeping the knees bent and letting the combinations flow with the momentum generated from the core.
I have to admit I felt a little labored, with perhaps too much weight on the floor, but my punching form felt right and my defense improved, with my left shoulder intercepting my opponents line of attack - to steal a phrase :smiley:
3x3s shadowboxing followed. Obviously the bags are useful for punch technique, so I used this to work on other aspects, starting from the floor. Using the mirrors I tried to retain a seperation between my legs.
I imagined an intersecting axis; a big “plus” sign I suppose, seperating my feet. The vertical vector simply placed one leg and hip either side. But the horizontal vector placed one leg/hip to the fore and one to the rear.
During all movements I strived to retain this stance, with the toes of my left foot orientated toward 1 o’clock and the toes of my right towards 2 on this figurative clockface.
I immediately spotted a tendency to relax my rear foot and allow it to stray toward 3, impeding the speed of my forward momentum and perhaps my ability to rotate the right hip quickly.
spotting this made me appreciate what I learned from Howard Rainey.
The extra concentration to bend the knees may sort this out and hopefully will improve my defense as I make it my goal to place 60% of my weight on that rear leg, further elevating that front shoulder to serve as a false target.

Another 3x3’s on the bag and I strived to be more natural, attempting to put all of that theory into more cohesive free flowing rounds. I was relatively satisfied and certainly spotted a greater aptitude for elongated combinations.

At the break in sessions my coach played my previous fight in the weigh in room for the junior amateurs. I remained warm and joined the seniors session on the floor.
For me I was serving as sparring for one of our amateurs before he competes internationally. At 91kg he’s a fantastic athlete and a nice boxer, taking an U21 national title last year. Sparring did go really well for me, but if I take the negatives I felt I relied too heavily on countering his attacks and body work.
I must initiate more and improve my attacks up top.

My fight was again shown after training. Getting very sick of seeing it!
I’m going to start using a simple Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) scale for all sessions I log on here; I find it interesting to see the relationship between psychology and exertion.

Session RPE; 6

Focus;
-Stance Axis
-Punching Technique
-Defensive Posture

This morning I decided to do a little psychological healing.
Thursday morning would usually be an athletic/bodyweight session for me, just healing the body up, but there was no need for that.
Instead I decided to grab the clock and labour through 60 minutes of dull aerobic cardio.

Some may disagree, but I got through the 60 minutes mixed between jogging, static bike and arc trainer.
I know now that I still have my fitness despite the fact that I was on auto-pilot; absolutely no concentration or thought required.
I’m never a fan of such sessions, but it did the trick and now I’m looking forward to more stimulating sessions.

RPE; 5

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:

Sorry to hear about the decision. Getting any blemish on your record is always disappointing, more so when it is undeserved. It’s hard to take when you’ve made so many sacrifices just to be in the ring on fight night. At the end of the day, all any of us can do is try harder next time to take the decision out of the judges hands. Props to you mate for traveling away for the bout. You’ll be a better fighter and a more rounded person for the experience. Do you know the areas you could have done better in to make the decision go in your favour? Do you have a date in mind for when you’re looking to fight again?[/quote]
Thanks for the kind words mate; when its all said and done, I’ll have tasted the best and worst parts of our sport. Hopefully when the time comes this will make me more qualified to pass on some experience.

The decision seems to have been predetermined. I dont believe anything outside of a stoppage could have gotten me the victory, but there certainly are areas in which my boxing could have been better.
He clinched a lot and I failed to break from this with effective punching. I feel I need to lower my base and allow only one shoulder to come into contact to prevent this happening again. I’m thinking of the Romanza style of boxing here (Marquez, Finito etc.)… I will have to learn here.
I also neglected to capitalise on counter opportunities. Perhaps out of arrogance I made him miss and failed to capitalise. Lesson learned I guess?
[/quote]

It’s heartbreaking when you work so hard and have been robbed before the first bell has even rung. All anyone can ask of themselves in that situation is that they keep their own high standards, and leave the ring with their pride and dignity intact. Sounds like you more than did that.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Looking forward to it man. Best of luck.[/quote]
Thanks fella; your log obviously the inspiration to commit thoughts to words!
[/quote]

That is a huge compliment. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Returned to the boxing gym last night at 6.00pm.
Got warmed up; just joints and muscles and a little bit of a blow out.
Our coach put 12 rounds on the clock and i was to alternate two and two, from bags to shadowboxing. My coach then used a whistle and once blown I was to fire 5 middle distance jabs.

Bagwork went well, concentrated on remaining in the correct posture and felt the benefits.
Shadowboxing I used to feel a bit more comfortable on the feet and slowly I find I’m adapting.
I think the stylistic adjustment may be important in longer fights and I certainly enjoy that split second extra to react defensively.

I closed out the session with 2 bonus rounds on the pads. Our head coach is out with hand problems, so our 2nd coach took the pads. An ex flyweight he kept me busy and always had to work hard to get in position.

RPE; 7

I coached a fitness class then from 7 until 8. A decent sized group, but with the summer setting in, they found it difficult to keep their work levels up.
Had a nice circuit for them;
1 minute each of;
Tyre Jumps
Med Ball Throws
Walking Lunge (weighted)
Bag Punchout
Agility Ladder
Sandbag Squats
Mounted OPunching
Bound into Vertical Jumps
Interval Sprints
Skippiong

One rotation of this was enough for them. Filled out the rest of the hour with bagwork, core exercises and warmup/cooldown

Some catching up to do here…
Friday 17.05.13 6.30pm

Started off with a very little cardio warmup.
Hit the bags for 3x3’s
Attempted to integrate the weeks work with being too conscious of the change.
It worked quite well, so we can say we’ve had some progress.
3x3s Shadowboxing at a nice high pace. I turned up the volume here completely and enjoyed the exertion. feet are improving, but pushing right occasionally my rear foot can impeded my movement and my center of gravity is slightly compromised.
3x3s Bagwork nice high pace, attempting to incorporate a defensive maneuver after each attack.
6x3s padwork.
Finished off my session with 6x3s on the pads with my second coach. Really was a fantastic blowout. Not as technical as our head coach, there was plenty of bodywork and instinctive attacks. Really enjoyed this.

RPE; 7/8

The weekend was nice and light as I was conscious my body needs to recover from the previous fight.
I had light sparring Saturday, with ten rounds of technical work. I really enjoyed these and its a nice place to be; practicing technique while not under threat of being taken out for your novice endeavors! 10x3s and had a nice little sweat.
Sunday was a nice easy cardio day. I decided just to run. Not for any other reason than to enjoy the nature near home.
Kicking back into gear now for the start of a big week !

Really enjoying your log mate.

You’re obviously very aware of your technique and the areas for improvement. I was wondering how much of what you post is based on feedback from your coach, and how much is based on things you yourself are picking up during training? (eg, compromised centre of balance when moving right).

One thing I am particularly interested to know that isn’t in your log, is how have you felt mentally in the gym this week? Reading between the lines it seems like you are in a decent place, given the dubious decision, and are fresher psychologically than might be expected.

Really enjoying your log mate.

You’re obviously very aware of your technique and the areas for improvement. I was wondering how much of what you post is based on feedback from your coach, and how much is based on things you yourself are picking up during training? (eg, compromised centre of balance when moving right).

One thing I am particularly interested to know that isn’t in your log, is how have you felt mentally in the gym this week? Reading between the lines it seems like you are in a decent place, given the dubious decision, and are fresher psychologically than might be expected. [/quote]
Well I’m glad you’re enjoying it, but any criticism you may have feel free to throw it in.
Most of the pieces here are factors I’ve become aware of myself. One coach is quite technical, so his padwork and even shadowboxing is more similar to drilling i.e. I’ll be focusing on specific instruction and that is our focus. Any other deficiencies I state are those I feel myself.

My mentality has been an issue. In the gym, I enjoy myself, I feel happy, but when at home or alone, I do get disillusioned.
I feel very unprepared for my fight in three weeks, but believe that I need to train and fight, to vindicate my lifestyle.

ver nice log to follow, something little different!

Couple of questions: Disillusioned with the lifestyle? with the training? with the fighting? Depending on the answers, the following might be less than useful:

I’ve been there feeling under-prepared, but really boxing works on levels. You’ve just come off a solid performance in a different country over an 8 round fight. You could only spar once or twice between now and the fight and still be razor sharp. You could cut your training to three days a week and still be a match for anyone on your level in a few weeks time. The reality is, you’re where you need to be to compete with anyone on your tier of the pro ranks. Of course, we all want to push on and try to hit the next rank up of guys, and smash them, but we can’t always improve our technique or physical abilities bout to bout. We all reach a point where returns on time invested come slower. The question at that point becomes less about how we improve technically, and more about how we prepare tactically to employ our skill sets against types of fighters that we’ve already seen a hundred times before in competition. Do you know what type of boxer you’re fighting? Do you know how you are going to outsmart him?

You’re obviously a smart lad, you know exactly how to handle all this and I hope nothing there came across as patronising.

Couple of questions: Disillusioned with the lifestyle? with the training? with the fighting? Depending on the answers, the following might be less than useful:

I’ve been there feeling under-prepared, but really boxing works on levels. You’ve just come off a solid performance in a different country over an 8 round fight. You could only spar once or twice between now and the fight and still be razor sharp. You could cut your training to three days a week and still be a match for anyone on your level in a few weeks time. The reality is, you’re where you need to be to compete with anyone on your tier of the pro ranks. Of course, we all want to push on and try to hit the next rank up of guys, and smash them, but we can’t always improve our technique or physical abilities bout to bout. We all reach a point where returns on time invested come slower. The question at that point becomes less about how we improve technically, and more about how we prepare tactically to employ our skill sets against types of fighters that we’ve already seen a hundred times before in competition. Do you know what type of boxer you’re fighting? Do you know how you are going to outsmart him?

You’re obviously a smart lad, you know exactly how to handle all this and I hope nothing there came across as patronising.

[/quote]
I should have specified sorry; I think this sport is magnificent, I was a boxing nerd as a child and I still hold the sport in the highest regard. But the business I have no love for.

Your words make perfect sense.
the proposed opponent was actually on the same national team as me a few years ago and we’ve sparred a lot. I have a definite gameplan and I’m well rehearsed.
In truth, I relish this fight. He is a good name opponent, but I have no hesitation in fighting him.

I’ve been ordered an x ray later this evening, if that comes through clear the fight is all go :slight_smile:

Thanks for your words too man. I can see I’m going to learn a lot from your experience.

20.05.13 6.30pm

Mobility Circuit before standard cardio warmup.

3x3s Bagwork
High paced rounds, working at middle distance. This is the first time I’ve really felt the benefit of the concentration on footwork.
The focus here was combination punching with some defense after each… the footwork allowed me to comfortably move from an aggressive position to a defensive position.
3x3s Shadowboxing
Utilisng the mirrors I selected head movement as my focus. My head movement is quite satisfactory in defensive terms, but I’d like to exploit more countering opportunities. I try generate my head movement from the hip and below, a pivot of the right foot and a drop of the knees causing me to slip just outside the imaginary opponents right. I’ve started to drop the heel of the left foot to act as a brake. I then pivot the left clockwise, causing a violent rotation of the hips and let the left hook go. The right heel will then act as a brake to prevent the right leg over rotating and compromising your stance balance.
3x3s Bagwork.
In honesty this was just work. I used very little technique and was just trying to keep the punch output up above the 100+ mark
Corework.
I decided to focus on some nice satisfactory abdominal flexion.
4 sets of 50 crunches were mixed with sets of “aquaman” posterior work.
3 sets of 30 side to side crunches joined 3 sets of 20 russian twists with the feet off the floor. All nice and easily achievable.
4x3s Bagwork.
This was nice light Bagwork. I just concentrated on punching form and the pleasant sound when a punch twists in on the target just right.
Sparring
I was scheduled for 6x3s with two of our good amateur guys. Into my 2nd round I threw a punch that caused my wrist to shoot with pain (again.)
I couldn’t get an x ray last night, so hoping to get one today. I really would like to be 100% when i get back in there.

Regardless, the fitness was very satisfactory and nice to see some improvement.
RPE;7

Very eventful day, but unfortunately not in terms of training.
Saw the doctor at 4.30 who ordered me in for an x ray and mri.
I attended our local private clinic and they very kindly saw me immediately;
I’ve torn the muscle in my right forearm/wrist and snapped a ligament.

We weren’t out of ammunitiion yet so I saw the national am team’s physio, who’s going to help me repair it.
6 weeks with no impact or load.
Taking the bright side here. If ever I wanted the opportunity to work on technique exclusively, here is my opportunity!

Obviously both my coach and myself are gutted, but I actually see this as an opportunity. If anyone has any experience of training one armed, or with any restrictions I’d appreciate your input!

Very eventful day, but unfortunately not in terms of training.
Saw the doctor at 4.30 who ordered me in for an x ray and mri.
I attended our local private clinic and they very kindly saw me immediately;
I’ve torn the muscle in my right forearm/wrist and snapped a ligament.

We weren’t out of ammunitiion yet so I saw the national am team’s physio, who’s going to help me repair it.
6 weeks with no impact or load.
Taking the bright side here. If ever I wanted the opportunity to work on technique exclusively, here is my opportunity!

Obviously both my coach and myself are gutted, but I actually see this as an opportunity. If anyone has any experience of training one armed, or with any restrictions I’d appreciate your input!

[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the ligament mate.

I dislocated my shoulder a couple of times (once during a fight). I spent the next two months shadow boxing and keeping up with my road work.

I used the time to focus on my defense and footwork. It was one of the periods in my training where I made the biggest leap forwards. All the pressure of ‘being a fighter’ was off my shoulders, and I could just relax and work on the 50% of boxing that inevitably gets neglected. We obviously place a lot of importance on punching effectively, and always punching better or harder. It’s not so easy in a sport where your pride is so openly on display to ignore throwing punches, and focus on moving nicely, efficiently, and effectively. It’s also not a sport where it is easy to make defense your main focus. Right from the first time sparring, the blokes that stick it out tend to be the ones that get hit and think ‘right motherfucker, I’m gonna get you for that one’. Most don’t get the opportunity to spend weeks or months perfecting their defensive qualities. I would see the injury as potentially a hidden blessing, although it is only what you make of it.