T Nation

Does Your Partner Train?

Does your partner train?

Is he or she athletic?

Or do you have a different outlook on training?

Any inspiring/funny or even mundane stories welcome.

My partner’s in decent shape, but after a pretty much head-on collision with a lorry, her back is messed up and she hasn’t been able to do a single rowing movement for the last 4 years.

And she used to be pretty competitive. Sad to see someone go through that, but it made me think of how everyone else’s partner gets on with their training, if at all.

My wife is a runner, pretty fit milf. We can’t train together though, I don’t run distance and every time she does weights it turns into aerobics. We do hike, ski etc… together.

My guy is also a competitive powerlifter. That’s how we met. Needless to say, we mostly train together since my garage is our gym. I can’t think of any funny stories but I used my first ammonia cap before max. deadlifting when training together on Sunday. There’s a romance story in there somewhere :slight_smile:

mine did ballet for 20 years. Her legs are ridiculous… i taught her pl squats and she does more than most guys in the gym. She runs alot too… cant get her to train martial arts though :frowning:

Mine works out, he doesn’t train. He’s blown his right ACL and left Achilles and patellar tendons, but still squats (although not super heavy). He lacks consistency and doesn’t love the iron, and I think he misses playing basketball (the cause of the three ruptures and five surgeries).

We lift together for the most part, but it causes some tension because I always expect him to know more than he does.

My wife has done years of weight training. Now she does yoga.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
mine did ballet for 20 years. Her legs are ridiculous… i taught her pl squats and she does more than most guys in the gym. She runs alot too… cant get her to train martial arts though :([/quote]

Ballarena - mine did that too. Awesome. And its a shame she won’t do MA; same here.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Mine works out, he doesn’t train. He’s blown his right ACL and left Achilles and patellar tendons, but still squats (although not super heavy). He lacks consistency and doesn’t love the iron, and I think he misses playing basketball (the cause of the three ruptures and five surgeries).

We lift together for the most part, but it causes some tension because I always expect him to know more than he does. [/quote]

Sorry to hear about him not being able to do basketball. Nothing worse than not being able to do your favourite sport.

My girlfriend does martial arts, she has done for the past 4 or so years.

My SO has been training on and off, mostly off for 8 years. I guess I’m responsible, since I thought that a homegym would apply to everybody - which it doesn’t. Last year, she went to find a commercial gym and has been pretty consistent since. She likes it so much that she’s even started to take simple peri-workout nutrition.

No funny stories apart from the fact that she handles carbs way better than I do and always sports somewhat visible abs: she could practically eat whatever she wanted without really putting on much padding. She’s also taller than me. I guess the only thing we’ve got in common in the physical department is a predisposition for good bis.

Oh, I got a semi-funny (or sad, depends on the perspective) story: she conc-curls more than some guys I know. Generally speaking, she has that ‘lean girls’ wiry strength which complements her training: ‘manhandling’ her has become a lot more difficult in the last 6-9 months. Speaks volumes about my lifting progress, eh? :wink:

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
My SO has been training on and off, mostly off for 8 years. I guess I’m responsible, since I thought that a homegym would apply to everybody - which it doesn’t. Last year, she went to find a commercial gym and has been pretty consistent since. She likes it so much that she’s even started to take simple peri-workout nutrition.

No funny stories apart from the fact that she handles carbs way better than I do and always sports somewhat visible abs: she could practically eat whatever she wanted without really putting on much padding. She’s also taller than me. I guess the only thing we’ve got in common in the physical department is a predisposition for good bis.

Oh, I got a semi-funny (or sad, depends on the perspective) story: she conc-curls more than some guys I know. Generally speaking, she has that ‘lean girls’ wiry strength which complements her training: ‘manhandling’ her has become a lot more difficult in the last 6-9 months. Speaks volumes about my lifting progress, eh? :wink:

[/quote]

Lol. Mine always - and still does - fell for all of the myths regarding bodybuilding e.g. don’t want to lift weights (as it’ll make me muscular), don’t want muscle as it’ll turn into fat. For someone so clueless, she’s in great shape.

For some reason, I always end up nailing girls that do yoga - not that I’m complaining. I think it’s gotten pretty trendy for hot chicks in DC to do Yoga or Pilates. There’s like a studio on every corner now.

My girlfriend is a swimmer. She like wants to be a dolphin hahahaha. At track practice I usually partner up with my buddy Jahleel. But at home where it gets serious I don’t lift with anybody except for sometimes my friend who lives with me. He’s only 140’ish though. Having over a 130 pounds on him doesn’t help me alot.

Mine does but I try and show her “advance” lifts. I showed her how to stiff leg deadlift because she wanted a lower back exercise. I told her “If you do this one consistently, it’s the only lower back you’ll need to do.” I never want to get into detail about anything fitness with her because she always losses interest.

Scenario:

Me: “I have to eat a lot more to gain weight.”
Her: “It won’t like do anything for you. All you’ll do is shit more.”
Me: “Hahah, you said shit”

Just cut it off right there. She’s still in that mode of “I don’t want to get to bulky”. We often just do our own thing.

my girlfriend trains really hard, she does some real tough workouts and is on the road to doing her first figure athlete competition…she is really dedicated to the gym and her diet and we workout together whenever we get a chance too…she also does boxing which is pretty sweet and i train in self defense/martial arts classes, so sometimes we see whos training is better = ) turns into a fun time!!

haha but all in all, shes awesome, and since she is so into training it definitely adds another dimension to a relationship that i definitely couldnt imagine having…its a great thing when both people are so dedicated to training…

IronWarrior

My fiance is an elliptical juggernaut, she can stay on one of those things for two/three hours if she has time to. I tried to get her into weight lifting, but she swears she’ll get “too bulky”. She used to be a dancer, so now she takes Zumba(?) classes at work.

I wouldn’t seriously date somebody that doesn’t train, so yes, my wife certainly does. I’m not going to bust my ass 6-8 hours a week and have my SO at home sitting on the couch watching fucking Oprah. That shit wouldn’t fly. I can’t imagine how you could live in the same house with someone that doesn’t eat healthy either. There is no temptation in our house because the only junk food we have is a box of Metabolic Drive bars. It’s always that way, and it makes dietary compliance a piece of cake.

Our outlooks on training are significantly different. I do it because I love it, and she does it because she hates not doing it. I want to get bigger and stronger, she wants to get smaller and stronger.

The first day I took her to train at my gym (she had already been training on her own for 3-4 years at this point), she was very nervous. She was pulling 2 plates and on her 3rd or 4th rep, she fell over backward. Didn’t even drop the bar, just pulled it right back onto herself. I laughed like a madman, she was mortified. Then, the same day, she was unloading plates off of a bar and broke the cardinal rule of taking all the plates off of one side while leaving two on the other side, and the bar flipped off of the rack and crashed to the floor. After we left, she swore she was never going back.

I train alone.

While im hitting the weights,shes at the treadmill. I think if we did workout together,we would probally be to much of a distraction.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.