Does Your GF/Wife/Partner Even Lift?

My girl does the mindless hour of cardio a few times a week, complains that the endorphins released during exercise have the opposite effect of pissing her off, and asked me how to spot reduce fat on her arms the other day.

Then she texts me during the day to ask how my squat workout went, tells me to go smash PRs, and buys me powerlifting reading material.

I like that she’s so supportive even though she has no real idea what she’s supporting

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve dated many girls over the years who have “gone to the gym”, or had some background in dance, or athletics of some kind when they were still in school. When I met my (now) wife, she had the usual “I go to the gym regularly with my sister” and “I’ve worked with a personal trainer before”. Of course while I would never intentionally make anyone go to the gym with me, or even look over what they’re doing for fear of appearing as a know-it-all. Well, I soon found that my girl had no clue what she was actually doing as far as creating LBM, keeping her metabolism up, and basically eating to support a lean physique. I had to be very careful the first few years as I basically tore through everything she thought she knew from her past “trainers”.

Eventually, after watching me compete a few times, she expressed interest in stepping onstage herself. I honestly did my best to talk her out of it! -lol. I don’t think she fully realized how much I played down my actual suffering during my past preps. Long story short, she decided doing a mock-contest prep would help her rehab her recently broken humerus bone. About half way into our proposed 16 week run down, she decided to actually commit to the same show I was getting ready for.

It definitely changed her life, no doubt. While like me, she realizes that competing isn’t your life, it’s just something you do, she took the year off as she planned our wedding, focused on work, and basically took care of real life issues. Now, she’s all ready to step things up and get back up on the dais this coming Spring. In a true reversal of roles, I’ll be sitting out the 2013 season (shoulder surgery), and doing my best to support my girl as she ensures that someone carries our name onstage in their underwear :slight_smile:

I’d never want her to do this FOR me, or thinking that it’s what I want her to do, but so long as it’s her desire to train hard, competing or not, I’m supportive and damn proud of her.

S[/quote]

Impressive!! What else is funny is she looks so much like the trophy haha

I helped a girl I know well and I maaay have as a GF in the future…ha! I guess it counts.

:frowning:

Was over a year ago now, possibly longer.

Apparently due to her medical degree she neglected her health big time. Add on top of that an Ex-Bf who never failed to turn up and beg her to take him back.

At 5’8 she weighed in as skinny, poor nutrition and her family were worried. I told her to get checked out in hospital and she did. From what I understand she had a bad check up and was kept in hospital for a week so they could run some tests.

In the meantime I informed her on nutrition and exercise. Things that were relevant to her needs and that she shouldn’t neglect her body for the sake of two degrees in 7 years.

Fast forward a few months and she is now at a healthy weight, doing exercises that suit her. Non of the cardio crap on treadmills. She began walking to work and university, eating real food she cooked and taking up pole dance classes which she loves.

She developed a curvy arse as a result and put on a fair bit of lean mass, things which didn’t go un-noticed by her friends who claimed she must have had elective butt-enhancing surgery. I do not kid.

Its been a while since I last talked to her but its due in part to me being hundreds of miles from her doing a degree and her cramming in 7 years of study into 4. Maybe when I get shit sorted after uni but I’m not thinking about that now.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
and taking up pole dance classes which she loves.[/quote]

I’m happy to see someone else validating the legitimacy of pole dancing.

Pole dancing + lifting is a combination that seems to work out very well.

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

very true, fit people are just better people in general.

[/quote]

The irony it burns.[/quote]
ouch

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
My more recent ex (4 days now) did not lift and thought I was obsessed when I told her I was at the gym and got off work expecting to hang out. she would get disappointed. I broke up with her for other reasons but being with her made me not want to go to the gym. Since the 4 days I’ve been away from her I am having unreal workouts again. I tried to get her to go to the gym for health reasons as she had depression but was very self conscious. It really played into my psyche.

Thus far, best decision of my life to let her go. Not saying to do that with your current gf hah. [/quote]
Been there, myself.

If you genuinely care about a person, it sucks the life out of you… and feel guilty when you think about leaving her. At least I did.

You def did the right thing.[/quote]

No he didnt.

Not one mention of a powerbomb or clothesline anywhere

No thumbtacks or barbed wire…nothin

I though you were from the home of ECW[/quote]
LOL

[quote]optheta wrote:

[/quote]

ouch[/quote]
is it moist?

Thanks friends!
Some great information in here!

Im in the process of trying to teach my gf about the gym while trying not to be pushy and a know-it-all. She used to be a professional swimmer and for exercise she either swims laps or plays water polo.

Im still at the stage of trying to to educate her that lifting a weight is not going to turn her into she-hulk, and I think I am fighting a losing battle. The other day she asked if I could write a gym routine for her, although Im hesitant to do this as I feel she is only doing this to make me happy. I want her to learn why heavy ass weight is good, and I believe the only way you can discover it , is by yourself.

tweet

I don’t have a girlfriend, but I couldn’t date a girl who didn’t lift.

CS

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

[/quote]

ouch[/quote]
is it moist?[/quote]
sriracha flavored lube om nom nom

YEP and NOPE!

She was huge into yoga, hard core pilates, cardio and lifting (with the standard current women’s biases)…

She was REAL lean, striations everywhere, even abs… Very nice…

She has started lifting heavier. We ride long distance bikes. She’s put on 10 maybe 20… IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES!

Reminds me I gotta up my game!

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
… and doing my best to support my girl as she ensures that someone carries our name onstage in their underwear :slight_smile:

I’d never want her to do this FOR me, or thinking that it’s what I want her to do, but so long as it’s her desire to train hard, competing or not, I’m supportive and damn proud of her.

S[/quote]

This is awesome. And I want her shoulders. She’s gorgeous, Stu.

Thanks guys. Believe me, just her being supportive of my endeavors was a wonderful thing. I never even tried to get her into the gym any more than she was already doing on her own. I know that the level I take things to is pretty intense, and most girls would likely be turned off. She went on her own, and I never forced my input.

Heck, even nowadays when we go together, she goes off and does her thing (usually a program I’ve designed), and I go off and do my thing. If she has questions, she finds me. If not, she’s her own woman, who’s there of her own accord for her own goals. Cat is more certainly not the girlfriend who go just to watch her boyfriend train -lol

I’m a very lucky man :slight_smile:

S

I finally got my GF to begin lifting a few months ago, She started squatting with dumbbells as she couldn’t squat the bar, now she’s squatting over her body weight. 120 lbs, and dead lifting 140lbs +. not too bad :slight_smile:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
and taking up pole dance classes which she loves.[/quote]

I’m happy to see someone else validating the legitimacy of pole dancing.

Pole dancing + lifting is a combination that seems to work out very well.[/quote]

Pole dancing benefits immensely from weight training. Deadlift anyone?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

[/quote]

ouch[/quote]
is it moist?[/quote]
sriracha flavored lube om nom nom[/quote]

Your avatar is disgusting.

I saw my husband for the first time at my first ever meet in 2008. He was the short sexy guy in the bench shirt. We actually met and spoke at what is now the PL Club we both belong to in Spring 2009. We moved in together, built a basement gym and got married in October… in that order.

We were talking about this the other night in that we like that neither one of us got the other into the sport. We were both pursuing it and found each other. It seems to be a fairly common theme. When we competed at Worlds last year, there were three couples competing together just on the Canadian team. It’s a highly romantic sport.