Does Weightlifting at an Early Age Stunt Growth?

Or is this simply a myth?

I would think there would be little stunting of height, if any.

That said, until a couple years into puberty, I would restrict resistance training to body weight movements, and wind sprints or stair runs.

This guys started at 9. He only made it up to 4’10".

No that is indeed a myth. Several studies have shown so and google search would yield you better info than opinions on here. Not a poke,just a suggestion.

1 Like

It does not stunt growth.

The theory started with the following logic:

• heavy loads cause microfracture in bones
  • fractures in growth plates will prevent growth/elongation in the bone in question
  • resistance training stunts growth

However, the magnitude of loading that resistance provides is not enough to cause a growth plate fracture significant enough to stunt growth.

In addition, the forces kids experience just by running/jumping/falling like they do playing games day-to-day are far higher than the forces imposed by resistance training

1 Like

No, it doesn’t. I started training when I was 18 months old (nothing serious, just 5’s PRO with FSL as assistance) but have kept at it. I’m completely average sized based on the graph below. I stand at 42" tall and am healthy and strong. I guess I should mention I do live in the Shire and my build is a bit pygmy-esque.

2 Likes

I will say I tend to get shorter every time I do a yoke walk

I read somewhere that it is best not to lift to failure until kids are past puberty (I think). No Joker Sets for Junior.

No Widowmakers for weewees.

1 Like

Hang on a sec…surely its better to ask on here (ie a group of fittness enthusiaists) rather than Google? Otherwise what is the point in this community?

The Shire?

I see…so ok to do resistance training even before puberty?

I believe his point is this is a question that’s actually been studied, so you can read literature vs. get opinions.

This, in my opinion, is kind of a loaded question. I’m not offering an “it’s right/ wrong” opinion either way, but I will say I think there are other factors to consider than growth plates when putting external load on a prepuscent spine.

1 Like

Exactly sir. Well stated.

1 Like

My thought is that “settled science” is an illusion. Get some more opinions.

I believe science is debate, and wasn’t opining differently here; just trying to clarify an intended statement.

I do think data is the backbone of that debate… or else

Jim Wendler recently posted a blog about his 10 year olds summer training includes weights sports and academics

It’s okay to do, but there’s some things you need to keep in mind.

For context, I work as a strength and conditioning coach at a big private school, where I’ll have contact with kids aged 6-18 years.

When training the really young ones (8-12), we always consider:

1. Do they actually want to lift?

Usually, the answer is no. Most young kids want to play and have fun, and sitting in a stuffy weight room with a coach correcting them every second bores the shit out of them. If they don’t want to lift, don’t lift. Get the kids tumbling, racing, chasing, climbing, wrestling, jumping and playing, and their physical development will come

1. If they do want to lift, do they want to be instructed?

Again, usually the answer is no. Most kids try picking something up a few times and then are bored 5-10 minutes later. Taking a kid who doesn’t want to be told what to do, and telling them what to do over and over, will kill their fun, their relationship with you and their relationship with the gym. When you get kids who like lifting, but hate being coached, just provide them with exercises that are impossible to stuff up, and let them go mess around. Messy technique is honestly okay if you’ve chosen the right exercises

1. If they do want to lift, and they do want to be instructed, what do you (the coach) want them to gain?

Having a clear “long-term” outcome for your athletes is incredibly important. Personally, when I’m working with kids I want them to develop confidence in their bodies, a healthy relationship with exercise and appropriate technique. This means that I choose exercises that kids can perform easily with minimum instruction, and present them in ways that are fun and engaging. If they are doing things wrong despite trying, I don’t fixate on it. I praise them a lot and make sure they finish the session with as many “wins” as possible.

Overall, just remember that kids are not little adults. Kids in general are highly resilient, play-oriented, hate rules and constraints and have short attention spans. Too many coaches treat young children like grown-ups who should just “suck it up” and drill “the basics” over and over, but you can see in the kids’ eyes that they hate it. Make it fun, make it safe, and judge the success of the session by the number of smiles, not the number of sets.

2 Likes

That was terrific

1 Like

Thanks man, this is something I feel very strongly about. I had a shocking relationship with exercise, mostly because of experiences like my baseball coach making me run laps when I was 8.

Working in the setting now, I try so damn hard to make sure kids don’t have the kind of mindset that I did. I feel this is especially important in a time where physical activity is becoming less and less appealing to kids versus sitting indoors playing video games.

1 Like