Does Thyroxine (for Hypothyroidism) Reduce Muscle Size?

Hi all,

I’ve been prescribed Thyronorm 25 mcg (Thyroxine sodium) by my doctor. My TSH levels are 8.210 uIU/ml according to the latest blood tests. I’ve been working out since last 15 years and I always have had difficulty gaining muscles, even when my thyroid tests were normal (I usually get my blood tests done once or twice every year).

I’ve heard from people that when you’re on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, you gradually lose muscle size.

I searched on this topic and this is what I read in this page:

“The results show that weight loss due to levothyroxine treatment in hypothyroid patients is due to a decrease in muscle mass which results from a decrease in total body fluid.”

Anybody have experience on this topic? Would be really helpful to know your thoughts on this…already getting depressed thinking about losing the hard earned average muscle mass I have :confused:

P.S. Here’s the result of the recent thyroid tests:

Test Name (Method, Specimen)                  Result                              Reference Range

Free Triodothyronine - FT3 (ECLIA, Serum) ---------- 3.26 pg/mL ---------------- 2.00-4.40 pm/mL
Free Thyroxine ----------------------------------------------- 1.06 ng/dL ------------------ 0.93-1.70 ng/dL
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone - 3rd Gen.---------------- 8.210 uIU/ml --------------- 0.27-4.20 uIU/ml
(ECLIA, Serum)

This is basically T4 which is in turn a reservoir for T3 in simple terms. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it as long as this helps your TSH get back into normal range. How does your male hormone panel look? Have you ever tested TT, FT, FSH, LH, SHBG and E2? I would ask the doc for a male hormone panel. Thyroid issues like that can impact production of your other hormones which in turn would result in the ‘hard to earn’ muscle mass.

Yea I got Testosterone Total and Free tests done. Results were normal…

Test Name ------------------------------------------ Result ------------------------- Reference Range

Testosterone Total (ECLIA, Serum) --------- 5.450 ng/ml --------------------2.8-8 ng/ml
Testosterone Free (CLIA, Serum) ---------- 23.980 pg/ml ------------------- 15-50 pg/ml

Well shoot. That seemed like a logical scenario. Regardless, if your TSH comes back in range you should be fine. Bodybuilding competitors and the like that supp with T3 have to worry about your initial concern more than taking medication such as synthetic T4. Good luck sir.

1 Like

Thanks man!