Does this Upset You?

If so…why?

Personally I would rather not have any man compaired to Jesus (Obama, Lebron, Trump…whoever), especially with the crown of thorns it offends me on that level.

But this is America… and I should be allowed to be displayed.

I’m offended at the use of “over-exaggerated.”

One of those girls said it portrays the way Obama is treated. She said he is crucified, and that is just dumb. Why doesn’t someone paint the same picture with Bush, I am sure he was crucified a lot more than Obama. Anyway, it doesn’t offend me too much, but I believe it is distasteful.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
One of those girls said it portrays the way Obama is treated. She said he is crucified, and that is just dumb. Why doesn’t someone paint the same picture with Bush, I am sure he was crucified a lot more than Obama. Anyway, it doesn’t offend me too much, but I believe it is distasteful.[/quote]

I thought it could just as easily represent a commentary on Obama’s deification, especially by the black community.

Probably not, but that’s what I’d say if I were the artist.

It doesn’t offend me in the slightest, but just like Serrano’s trash, I think it’s worthless.

Not really. Doesn’t bother me that the church I went to growing up had him very much looking European either when it’s in all likelihood he wasn’t.

Art is art is art. I can’t really imagine anything offending me, especially when I have no idea what the artist is trying to argue or say.

Trying to race bait again Professor ?

You did well with Clint’s empty chair, hope these folks don’t fall for it twice.

Yes.

The lack of emotional and aestethic sophistication does a number on my more evolved sensibilities.

appropriate and humorous

[quote]Professor X wrote:

If so…why?
[/quote]
This is offensive: because it portrays a known public figure who is not Jesus, as Jesus; and because it portrays the U.S. Presidency as being equivalent to Jesus’ ministry.

Given a different life path for Barack Obama so that he were not a known public figure; the same face and hands on a cross with the body clothed in period-appropriate garb for first century A.D. Palestine (or even with a particular culture’s customary representation of garb for first century A.D. Palestine; or with a particular culture’s customary representation of garb for Jesus); and nothing else indicating that somebody other than Jesus is being made out to be Jesus: this would not be offensive.

[quote]undoredo wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

If so…why?
[/quote]
This is offensive: because it portrays a known public figure who is not Jesus, as Jesus; and because it portrays the U.S. Presidency as being equivalent to Jesus’ ministry.

Given a different life path for Barack Obama so that he were not a known public figure; the same face and hands on a cross with the body clothed in period-appropriate garb for first century A.D. Palestine (or even with a particular culture’s customary representation of garb for first century A.D. Palestine; or with a particular culture’s customary representation of garb for Jesus); and nothing else indicating that somebody other than Jesus is being made out to be Jesus: this would not be offensive.[/quote]

Dead on. It’s extremely offensive, not because of the skin tone of the figure, but because a specific historical figure is being equated with Jesus. I don’t think it should be taken down - as another said, that is the point of free speech - but the current cultural state of this nation, a nation rapidly losing any concept of “taboo,” is extremely depressing. Worse, some people essentially believe Obama IS the savior.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
appropriate and humorous[/quote]

Seriously, are you like the special needs contrarian?

[quote]KingKai25 wrote:
Worse, some people essentially believe Obama IS the savior.[/quote]

http://global.christianpost.com/news/jamie-foxx-defends-calling-barack-obama-lord-and-savior-86090/

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]KingKai25 wrote:
Worse, some people essentially believe Obama IS the savior.[/quote]

http://global.christianpost.com/news/jamie-foxx-defends-calling-barack-obama-lord-and-savior-86090/[/quote]

Foxx- “But I was joking”

/only saying that because I realized later that it was a stupid thing to say

[quote]orion wrote:
Yes.

The lack of emotional and aestethic sophistication does a number on my more evolved sensibilities.

[/quote]

this ^^^

i was initially intrigued then those feelings were very quickly replaced with ennui - which is pretty much a benchmark that tells me I’m looking at crappy art

Looks like something I could pick up at a flea market. I wonder if I could get one on velvet…

It’s just more political artwork.

I never like to see things people hold sacred used for political jabs, be it a flag or a crown of thorns… But it’s still their right to express themselves freely.

I think the message is that Obama is held accountable for everything, and so he’s being crucified is the message?

I don’t think the message is that he’s like Jesus and will die for your sins or anything like that haha. But I totally see how it can be offending and don’t particularly like it.

About as “artistic” as piss Jesus.

Billions of people worship worthless idols and worthless people every day. I don’t see this as anything different than the norm.

Take away the crown of thorns and it just looks like he’s about to draw the curtains over the presidency (or maybe it could look like he’s opening them, but that’s definitely not what he’s done).

The crown of thorns is just a symbol. It could never even begin to represent what Christ means to me. No collection of idols and symbols could ever represent what He means to me.

So, Prof X, are you going to answer your own question?