T Nation

Does This Indicate Fast Twitch?

interested in what you think: every week for i add the nice little 2.5 lbs weight to my compounds and so i gain 5 lbs on every compound mostly about every 2 weeks…the weird thing is each time i do this i can always and only do 3…and if i take a step back and go back to the old weight i notice i can still only do 3.its odd think it characterizes fast twitch muscle fibers?

also i run 5ks every weekend and my legs burn like hell by the end but when i see the finish line a begin to sprint and its like a whole new set of muscles have started working and its like i have new legs…then i stop running and im burnt…fast twitch?

[quote]bkmacky9288 wrote:
interested in what you think: every week for i add the nice little 2.5 lbs weight to my compounds and so i gain 5 lbs on every compound mostly about every 2 weeks…the weird thing is each time i do this i can always and only do 3…and if i take a step back and go back to the old weight i notice i can still only do 3.its odd think it characterizes fast twitch muscle fibers?

also i run 5ks every weekend and my legs burn like hell by the end but when i see the finish line a begin to sprint and its like a whole new set of muscles have started working and its like i have new legs…then i stop running and im burnt…fast twitch?[/quote]

…sure…

Everybody has both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers. The variance is in the percentage of them. Repetitious movement with minimal strain (ie running long distances) tends to activate more of the slow twitch fibers. Fast twitch fibers are used more for explosive power which is why it may have felt like your legs were renewed. It’s also part of the basis for programs like 10x3. Fast twitch muscle fibers have a higher potential for growth and by doing explosive sets of 3 reps you activate mainly fast twitch. As you fatigue your muscles will start recruiting slow twitch muscle fibers as well. So there’s an answer to your question and a little extra info.

[quote]bkmacky9288 wrote:

also i run 5ks every weekend and my legs burn like hell by the end but when i see the finish line a begin to sprint and its like a whole new set of muscles have started working and its like i have new legs…then i stop running and im burnt…fast twitch?[/quote]

Consider this: a five pound increase to a 225 pound barbell is about 2%. So what your saying is that your training within 2% of your “3RM” or less. This means next too nothing. If you can add weight that is great, but don’t read too much into it.