Does This Ever Happen to You?

Sometimes, I find it’s like, impossible to read anything. Like, if something is like several long paragraphs long, I’ll get lost within them. I’ll just forget which sentence I’m on, forget what I just read, have to start over, and end up reading it all only to finish and realize I have no idea what I just read.

I guess it’s like reading something in another language. I can read the words, but once you’re finished with them all, I don’t know what they meant.

All the time

Was it written by vroom?

That’s nothing! Wait till you see the tangerine trees and marmalade skies.

D

[quote]grew7 wrote:
Sometimes, I find it’s like, impossible to read anything. Like, if something is like several long paragraphs long, I’ll get lost within them. I’ll just forget which sentence I’m on, forget what I just read, have to start over, and end up reading it all only to finish and realize I have no idea what I just read.

I guess it’s like reading something in another language. I can read the words, but once you’re finished with them all, I don’t know what they meant.[/quote]

This is because your brain needs exercise - just like your muscles. Read something challenging. Start with some short essays. George Orwell is a good writer to start with.

I play logic puzzles. It helps me in my job and keeps me sharp. I also do brain exercises from “Exercises For Your Mind.”

A man with weak brain is as worthy of disaprobation as obese people.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
grew7 wrote:

I guess it’s like reading something in another language. I can read the words, but once you’re finished with them all, I don’t know what they meant.

This is because your brain needs exercise - just like your muscles. Read something challenging. Start with some short essays. George Orwell is a good writer to start with.

I play logic puzzles. It helps me in my job and keeps me sharp. I also do brain exercises from “Exercises For Your Mind.”

A man with weak brain is as worthy of disaprobation as obese people. [/quote]

Your kidding right Cali? You do realize reading the serious responses are grew’s stimulation.

D

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
grew7 wrote:

A man with weak brain is as worthy of disaprobation as obese people. [/quote]

I don’t know about that…

For me it only happens when what I’m reading is boring, but maybe it’s different for the OP.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Your kidding right Cali? You do realize reading the serious responses are grew’s stimulation.
D [/quote]

Yes. I’ve complimented him before on his brilliance. If he’s not already, the guy should be writing screenplays/scripts.

The post was directed at people who will take his post seriously.

[quote]grew7 wrote:

I guess it’s like reading something in another language. I can read the words, but once you’re finished with them all, I don’t know what they meant.[/quote]

Considering I’ve had to absorb 10,000+ pages of information this semester, this doesn’t happen often. However, I do feel this way from time to time and generally can attribute it to a lack of sleep and exercise.

Most likely you don’t understand the words. Try a dictionary.

Learning disability?

[quote]vision1 wrote:
I don’t know about that…

For me it only happens when what I’m reading is boring, but maybe it’s different for the OP.[/quote]

Same.

CL, I read constantly, but when I read something boring I literally get lost reading it. I’ve had to read paragraphs in textboots multiple times not to absorb it- but to even know what it said. Your mind is somewhere else, even if your eyes are following the words.

[quote]m_mackenz wrote:
Learning disability?[/quote]

Possibly. I tend to think I suffer from some sort of ADD when my eyes roll over a forum reply that takes more than 1 ‘screen’. I wish I could attribute it to partial ADD, but then again I have no problem reading what TC writes in his Atomic Dog posts.

Writing style counts. Generally, less is more. :0)

[quote]ill wrote:
Most likely you don’t understand the words. Try a dictionary.[/quote]

I agree completely with this. I’ll bet you can track your distraction back to a word you really didn’t understand, everytime. Sometimes you think you know the word because you’ve seen it before, but you really don’t understand it.

Would love to give u a answer but u lost me after the first line and i just skimmed the rest :smiley:

King of Kings

[quote]pookie wrote:
Was it written by vroom?[/quote]

LMFAO!

Buy a book on speedreading. It will very quickly solve the problem of backskipping (which seems to be your biggest problem), will shorten the time it takes you to get through material, and will allow you to retain the maximum amount of information, and understand it better.

Your main problem appears to be not a lack of understanding, but a lack of concentration. Even if you aren’t interested in reading extremely fast, the techniques used to read fast will force you to stay focused on what you read, and this will probably solve 95% of your problem. An Evelyn Wood book is a good place to start.

[quote]grew7 wrote:

I’ve heard reading with your eyes closed really helps. That way you let less light in, and as well all know UV rays are killer on concentration.

Yes.

I use ritalin for the boring or important stuff and modafinil+caffeine for the rest.
Otherwise I get nothing done.

I’ll have try Bushy’s stack with vinpocetine added.