Does The 10x3 Method Really Work?

IamMarqaos you know what you are talking about but you have misinterpreted my post

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Magarhe wrote:
Depends how quickly you do it. 10x3 with little rest between sets, obviously using less weight, WILL be effective at gaining size.

Why not try 2 weeks of 3x10, then, do 2 weeks of 10x3 ? I guarantee you that will get good results.

The object of 10x3 was to use 80-85% of 1RM and 70-90 seconds of rest between sets. So 10x3 with little rest and less weight is NOT what Waterbury had in mind.
[/quote]

As far as I am concerned, 70-90 seconds IS little rest, compared to 3-5 minutes. But I should have been specific. Also 80-85% is less weight that I would use for 10x3 with 3-5 mins rest.

[quote]

When a coach mentions something that has worked wonders for him you need to try it exactly the way he has outlined it, whether it is counter intuitive or not. If you ‘tweak’ it in any way then you cannot know comment on the efficacy of the coaches program.

Marc[/quote]

I agree, if you change what they recommend, don’t complain it does not work.

But as far as I am concerned, Waterbury does not “own” 10x3 even if the OP was talking about Waterbury. I do not care about following what the Waterbury says to the letter, and what I recommended does work. No it is not Waterbury but it is ten sets of 3.

Fuck yea it works…You should try it, you won’t lose size I promise.

[quote]Joaquin wrote:
I have a hard time believing that 10 sets of 3 reps will result in hypertrophy. It goes against what has worked historically and is proven. Don’t get me wrong here… I actually prefer this style of lifting, but I don’t want to lose my current mass and would like to gain some. Can anybody report any REAL results?

Muchas Gracias![/quote]

If you don’t believe in the program it won’t work.

[quote]tpa wrote:
Joaquin wrote:
I have a hard time believing that 10 sets of 3 reps will result in hypertrophy. It goes against what has worked historically and is proven. Don’t get me wrong here… I actually prefer this style of lifting, but I don’t want to lose my current mass and would like to gain some. Can anybody report any REAL results?

Muchas Gracias!

If you don’t believe in the program it won’t work.[/quote]

that’s not true, plenty of things we don’t believe in work regardless of what we believe

just look at any fat person who believes they really don’t eat much

I’m in the 2nd week of the Waterbury method…clearly it’s to early for me to comment on the success of the program, but thus far I’m liking it. Felt so good to switch to a totally new program. Never done anythign like 10x3 before…I’ll keep ya’s posted.

only HIT works

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
that’s not true, plenty of things we don’t believe in work regardless of what we believe

just look at any fat person who believes they really don’t eat much[/quote]

Ha! :slight_smile:

I have used this method before and got very strong and eventually stagnated. I should have done some periodization. Regardless, if 10x3 was the way to go why don’t any top bodybuilders (juiced and naturals)use this method? I like heavy weight, low reps and high sets… but the top guys don’t use it.

I am in the final week of 10x3FFL and it has honestly kicked my behind. Its really tough especially as the weeks go by and you reduce your rest time. I cannot recommend it more.

[quote]Joaquin wrote:
I have used this method before and got very strong and eventually stagnated. I should have done some periodization. Regardless, if 10x3 was the way to go why don’t any top bodybuilders (juiced and naturals)use this method? I like heavy weight, low reps and high sets… but the top guys don’t use it. [/quote]

You are not a top guy! Those guys used various programs before settling in on a juice split that they use now. Don’t judge a program simply because a pro doesnt use it.

i like the sound of it but not convinced

[quote]Kal-El wrote:
Joaquin wrote:
I have used this method before and got very strong and eventually stagnated. I should have done some periodization. Regardless, if 10x3 was the way to go why don’t any top bodybuilders (juiced and naturals)use this method? I like heavy weight, low reps and high sets… but the top guys don’t use it.

You are not a top guy! Those guys used various programs before settling in on a juice split that they use now. Don’t judge a program simply because a pro doesnt use it.[/quote]

Top naturals dont train this way either. I would be willing to be that there are a lot of top guys who have never trained this way, natural or not. Are you implying that one has to be on in order to make good gains with a bodypart split?

paging Mad Titan, Exile Swede, Caveman, and Prof X…

[quote]jon andrew wrote:
i like the sound of it but not convinced[/quote]

Why not?

It’s a modified power lifting scheme that’s been used for decades…

Try it you may like it…

Worked really well for me. I did the
CW 10x3 FFL for 12 weeks then rotated into
a 5x5 routine for 12 weeks and then to a
3x15 setup for 4 weeks. Repeat. Just finishing
up the 3x15 part and I’ve put on
just over 15 lbs by the end of the first cycle.

Diet is 40/40/20 @ 2800Kcal/day. 42 YO @ 6’4" @
230 lb @ 15%BF.
Weights have gone way up, especially during
the 10x3. Still haven’t figured out a workable
cutting diet. Would like to get to <10% BF.

Before my 20 year layoff from bb, I had a friend who always had a strong bench, but never worked out consistently worked out. Strong, stocky little SOB, about 5’9", 220lbs.

Anyway, he had never benched over 365, no matter how much he worked out, but always wanted to do 405. Long story short, I put him on a program of flat benches, working up to 3 sets of 2, with only 1 min. rest between the sets of 2, and weighted dips. When he started, although his PR was 365, he could only do 325. But in six weeks he benched 405.

One note, he stopped the workout because his joints, shoulders and elbows hurt. He actually got too strong too quick for his joints, tendons, ligaments, etc. to keep up.

Anyway, that was b4 there was an Internet, and all of the training schemes you see today, but I can tell you that similar rep schemes do work, at least, for gaining strength, and breaking plateaus…

-james

I just want to say I found my musles growing bigger and stronger on ABBH as well as on the WM.

I should note, however, I have mostly trained in a traditional strength method and have only recently begun training in aesthetically based methods, so that could have been one reason my muscles reacted so quickly…

Mid

Only HIT works

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Only HIT works[/quote]

You are correct, HIT works; for about 5 minutes. Then you have to do something else.

The basic problem is that HIT is too hard on your CNS. So your muscles recover very quickly and are ready to increase in load, but your CNS does not recover that quickly and will hold back your muscles by not activating them or reaching failure sooner. So you basically have not way to progress in load using HIT once you CNS is fatigued. And if you can’t progress in load you can’t build.

The only way to use HIT is by cycling it or it is worthless.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Only HIT works

You are correct, HIT works; for about 5 minutes. Then you have to do something else.

The basic problem is that HIT is too hard on your CNS. So your muscles recover very quickly and are ready to increase in load, but your CNS does not recover that quickly and will hold back your muscles by not activating them or reaching failure sooner. So you basically have not way to progress in load using HIT once you CNS is fatigued. And if you can’t progress in load you can’t build.

The only way to use HIT is by cycling it or it is worthless.

[/quote]

Thats why HIT has you working out once every 4-7 days…so that your CNS can recover. The idea is to fatigue both your muscles and your CNS simultaneously, and then rest for an unreal amount of time before the next workout.

"I like heavy weight, low reps and high sets… but the top guys don’t use it. "

Read the Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. Nearly every workout that Arnold did had heavy (less than 5 reps) workouts in it. He said these were important to building solid mass.