T Nation

Does Test Cyp SubQ Absorb the Same as IM?

I have been doing testosterone Cyp for a good while IM ventrogluteal.

Thanks to this site, I just got new syringes in for Subcuataneous. I have stabilized at a specific level and am wondering if SC will absorb more poorly, at the same rate as IM or what the difference in level may be.

I am .5 ml once a week Intramuscular ventrogluteal.

Should I do .25 ml twice a week subcutaneous? or will I need to inject more T Cyp due to a lesser absorption rate? Or will it be about the same?

While I have no clue, it seems like IM would have a more efficient absorption rate but that is only a guess.

Thanks for input.

Yes IM is a faster route for delivery but this doesn’t mean the half-life is shorter. The half-life 5-7 days is established by the cypionate function group. The cypionate has to be metabolized before it becomes useable testosterone.

Subcutaneous just means it has to enter small vessels in your fat before reaching circulation. Whether there is an advantage to either is individual and debatable.

I use the same dose for SQ that I did IM. I like SQ better, but it did take a couple of weeks before I “leveled” out, so to speak.

Thanks for the input.

I don’t mind IM at all doing ventrogluteal.

However, if I figure once a week for the next 20 years thats poking 1,000 holes in my muscle.

Plus, several times a week should keep me at a more stable level.

I appreciate the timely input, leaving for vacation week on saturday. I think I will do one IM while gone, and start the SC twice weekly when I get home. Don’t really want my body to be adjusting during vacation.

Also, doing the HCG three times a week, and B12 - may just be easier to remember to stick myself everyday rather than trying to keep up with a schedule.

I stopped doing gluteal injections because it seemed that I was breaking-out with cystic acne on my cheeks. They were painful. But, I have a sedentary job in front of a computer and sit for long periods of time. I only inject in my quads now and don’t seem to break-out there. I worked with another guy on TRT and he had to go to the clinic weekly for his gluteal injections and he quit because he said the injections made “hamburger” out of his a$$. Not meaning to get off topic but was curious if you had the same side effects or just throwing it out there as a caution.

Have been doing “ventro” gluteal which is on your side. Umm, dunno probably 50 or more by now.

Absolutely no issues. I made a post in the pinned first thread which shows how to find the position.

Not only that, painless. There are fewer nerves and blood vessels there. More and more progressive thinking is to get away from “dorsal” gluteal which is your ass.

“ventro” gluteal is considered the safest place to do an IM injection. Actually, there are so fewer blood vessels there that aspiration is not required. I only aspirate because the nurse said that more than once she had seen blood vessels where there were not supposed to be any. In 50 or more shots have never pulled back blood.

“ventro” if viewed from the side is almost dead center between front and back. At 68, I don’t have the flexibility to reach that with both hands to aspirate. My wife won’t stick me, but she will aspirate and inject. If she is not around when I get the shot, It is easy to inject myself with one hand and I don’t bother to try to aspirate.

Bottom line - Ventrogluteal is a whole different ballgame than dorsalgluteal.

The medical community as an overall is slow to change and pick up on newer, better techniques such as ventrogluteal.

And the reason this site is so good for our questions and concerns.

PS You will need another person to help locate the position, and it takes a while to learn to find it. Well worth the effort IMO.

That’s where I was injecting - ventro-gluteal. I did it while looking in the mirror. I may try there again. You’re right, it was painless or the least pain. But since I stopped injecting there, my butt hasn’t had the outbreaks. So for me it’s a toss-up whether I inject there again & deal with the side-effects.

In either case, absorption is 100%. The release time rate curves are a bit different. In any case, you should have a number of injections sites releasing T and their release curves are overlapping. So if you inject often enough, T level are very steady.

“a more efficient absorption rate” is a meaningless concept

Use the tiny little insuline needles, and inject in your outer thigh. It doesn’t hurt at all and the needle does little or no harm, its tiny. I use .5ml, 29 gauge, 1/2" needle. It amazes me at the size needles some guys use. Takes a couple minutes to load but pushes out just fine and no pain, no damage.

[quote]
“ventro” gluteal is considered the safest place to do an IM injection. Actually, there are so fewer blood vessels there that aspiration is not required. I only aspirate because the nurse said that more than once she had seen blood vessels where there were not supposed to be any. In 50 or more shots have never pulled back blood.[/quote]

I pulled back blood going ventro gluteal just last week for the first time in a year or more, so I would still definitely aspirate – just in case!

While docs say there should be nothing back there to hit, you never know. My Dad found out he had 5 extra feet of colon when he went in for surgery once, that he wasn’t supposed to have. We are forever mutating / evolving.

All of the land marked areas for IMs have blood vessels in them. Typically they’re of the much smaller variety. The point of landmarking is to avoid hitting nerves and major vessels. I think aspirating is kind of pointless because you could move at any time during the injection and dump it in a vessel.

Let’s say you pass through a vessel and then aspirate but when you move back 2mm the needle is in a vessel. Major vessel bad, minor, not so much. It’s supposed to reach your blood fairly quickly from an IM anyway. It’s not like it will become a pulmonary embolism.

[quote]C27 H40 O3 wrote:
All of the land marked areas for IMs have blood vessels in them. Typically they’re of the much smaller variety. The point of landmarking is to avoid hitting nerves and major vessels. I think aspirating is kind of pointless because you could move at any time during the injection and dump it in a vessel.

Let’s say you pass through a vessel and then aspirate but when you move back 2mm the needle is in a vessel. Major vessel bad, minor, not so much. It’s supposed to reach your blood fairly quickly from an IM anyway. It’s not like it will become a pulmonary embolism. [/quote]

Not to get off topic or hijack but
I would love to know what land marking is ?

Oh sorry, landmarking is simply using anatomical structures and usually some hand positioning to locate the appropriate location. For instance the ventrogluteal site you put your palm on the greater trochanter of the femur with the index finger pointing at the ASIS(a structure on the hip) and the middle finger pointing straight up. The V formed by the index and middle fingers border the area that is safe.

For deltoid it’s 3 fingers below the acromium process of the scapula forming a base and the other hand forms a V that completes an inverted triangle. The area inside the triangle is safe.

These are pretty simple to do but you can imagine how vital landmarking can be if you are say inserting a catheter into the spine for analgesics or anesthetics.

Went subq a week and a half ago and I’m never going back. IMV, subq is a slower route of administration, which causes lower peaks and generally (if you’re doing E3D or EOD) ultrastable levels of T in your system, which keeps your E2 down and should therefore increase your T:E2 ratio (arguably as important or more important than the absolute numbers of either).

It’s also better mechanically in that you don’t have to aspirate (always a nerve-raiser for me when I did IM). I inject into my upper glute fat, making sure I close off the needle hole with my index finger immediately after pulling the needle out and rub it for half a minute or so to save “every drop of that man oil,” as Dr. Crisler says.

The only catch is that it might take a week or more (up to a month) for your levels to stabilize if you’re coming from IM, and presumably on the longer end if you’re high SHBG. Subq is the best overall, IMO, but the biggest boon for low SHBG folks given the slower metabolism, which prevents big spikes typical of low SHBGers.

Am I the only one that was shown by my Doc to shoot my thigh to administer? I use a 23g 1.5" pin once a week. Alternate legs, and have zero pain for close to 2 years now.

My Doc told me to switch to upper thigh if I wanted. I inject in the glute and she said either place is fine its just a personal choice. So now I rotate between both legs and both glutes.

There are lots of places to pin IM. The thighs are easier to hit than the glutes if you are doing it yourself. Many guys here (myself included) have moved to SQ injections.

I wouldn’t do test cyp sub q or any test subq it’s ment for intramuscular use only depend on where ur getting ur test from under ground or script it says rite on package if u get from pharmacy like I do brand not under ground because I have a script it says IM only. I would never do subq on it. To be sure I would ask a doctor or pharmacist if u can go subq route but I wouldn’t suggest it probably burn and leave bumps under your skin bro! But make sure u ask medical professional before doing anything like injections the way there not ment to be injected!

That is so lame.

Most medical professionals are idiots who do not think about these things. You should start reading and developing a basic understanding so these things are obvious to you.

Many are doing sub Q without problems. Some who get lumps can then do IM. Absorption is 100% either way. A Canadian study researched sub Q and found that for weekly injections, the T delivery was smoother and guys felt better at the end of 7 days.

Lol I wouldn’t trust anything s Canadian said lol might seem lame but Atleast I won’t be in the er for injecting test subq. Inject it into your balls or penis a Canadian researcher told me that works faster to!