T Nation

Does supplemental creatine prevent herpes recurrences?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Does supplemental creatine prevent herpes recurrences?

Ness SR, McCarty MF.
Med Hypotheses 2001 Sep;57(3):310-2
Pantox Laboratories, San Diego, California 92109, USA.

While functioning as a general practitioner at the Camp Pendleton Marine Base, the first author treated numerous patients with recurrent genital herpes. Beginning in 1998, a number of these patients failed to return for periodic acyclovir therapy. Inquiries revealed that these patients had all commenced supplemental creatine after their last outbreak, and had experienced no further outbreaks. A literature search uncovered a report that cyclocreatine, a synthetic compound structurally and functionally homologous to creatine, inhibits the replication of cytomegalovirus, varicella-zoster, and herpes simplex types 1 and 2, in low millimolar concentrations; furthermore, dietary cyclocreatine reduces morbidity and mortality in mice infected with HSV-2. The fact that both creatine and cyclocreatine exert neuroprotective and cancer-retardant effects in rodents, encourages the speculation that creatine shares the anti-viral activity of cyclocreatine. Pilot studies to assess the impact of creatine loading on recurrence of oral and genital herpes appear warranted; the impact of creatine on shingles occurrence in high-risk patients could also be explored. Although initially conceived as an aid to athletic performance, creatine loading may prove to have broad preventive and therapeutic applications.

Well, it’s something to think about. I’m sure we could probably get a decent sampling of people here who have (a) had oral herpes (cold sores, cancre sores) and (b) supplemented with creatine. Did any of you guys notice anything different?

Brock wrote about this in “Useful Stuff” at T-mag.

No.

The amino acid Lysine works for cold sores and herpes outbreaks. Take a 500mg capsule with water, in between meals. If you have a raging cold sore, go ahead and start with 2 grams divided up throughout the day. If you just suspect you are on the verge of something, try a solo dose of 500mg. (half gram). Try to taper off after a few days, as your cold sore or herpes dries up. This is the kind of thing you want to save for when you really need it, and not an everyday supplement that you take every day no matter what. And the best part is that it works!

Why do you ask? Trying to tell us something? :wink:

Just wanted to second the Lysine thing. Although I find that a gram every three hours or so (6g/day total) is necessary to really put a dent in the outbreak. But if you can get by with less, then you should obviously do so.

I used to get cold sores all the time all the time and have tried everything. The Lysine does help but by far the best thing I have ever used is Zovirex cream (prescription) for cold sores and if you start application as soon as you feel one coming on, it never even develops into a full blown cold sore. If you start after the blister has formed it will stay contained, small, and heal really, really fast.