Does Satan Exist?

Funeral for 6-Year-Old Christopher Barrios Held; Suspects Took Turns Assaulting Boy
Friday, March 23, 2007

BRUNSWICK, Ga. ? Six-year-old Christopher Michael Barrios was laid to rest Thursday, a day after a convicted child molester and his family were indicted for sexually abusing and killing the Georgia boy.

According to an indictment issued Wednesday, convicted child molester George Edenfield and his father took turns sexually assaulting Christopher while the molester’s mother watched, then they choked the boy to death.

The indictment charges all three family members with murder and child molestation in the slaying of Christopher, whose body was found March 15 inside a trash bag dumped by a roadside.

District Attorney Stephen D. Kelley said he will seek the death penalty against 32-year-old George David Edenfield, who has a prior child molestation conviction from 1997, and his parents, David and Peggy Edenfield.

“This is one of the most horrific crimes that I have seen in 21 years of prosecutions,” Kelley said.

Christopher went missing for a week before police found his body about three miles from his trailer park home outside Brunswick, a Georgia port city 60 miles south of Savannah. The suspects lived in a mobile home across the street from the boy’s grandmother."

If you consider satan Psychological disorder the yes!!!

THis is a terrible thing for sure,

But I’m not so sure the recent trend of posting up human tradgedies in relation to child molestation is a good one.

It’s a terrible crime for sure, but there have been quite a few threads lately on basically the same thing. Sure, we need to be aware of the dangers out there and I can understand why people feel angry about these crimes…i feel angry… but i gotta wonder what the point of all these similar threads is…

[quote]CELTIC-DEVIL wrote:

But I’m not so sure the recent trend of posting up human tradgedies in relation to child molestation is a good one.

It’s a terrible crime for sure, but there have been quite a few threads lately on basically the same thing. Sure, we need to be aware of the dangers out there and I can understand why people feel angry about these crimes…i feel angry… but i gotta wonder what the point of all these similar threads is…

[/quote]

The more people that are aware of this real tragedy in our society, the more likely it is that it will be dealt with. Most of us don’t want to think about such things, I know. But it won’t go away by simply ignoring it or being oblivious.

Public airing of grievances. Commiserating. Sharing feelings of sorrow, shock, grief, disbelief, anger, etc. It’s a way of talking about what’s (or one thing that’s) bothering you. It’s cathartic.

People do it.

[quote]CELTIC-DEVIL wrote:

[/quote]

Damn dude, you start the most depressing threads ever.

The cornerstone of atheism rears its big logical head again.

I’ve stopped blaming the devil - he’s as non-existent as god.

Now this may have nothing to do with Headhunters thread but to me it does - so fuck off if you dont like it.

I asked my friend Howard Bloom how he became an atheist and his response changed me as well - Enjoy.

I realized I was an atheist at thirteen years old and it wasn’t a choice, it just happened. But no benevolent God would be so cruel. No benevolent God would create a cosmos with such pain. Any God so vicious would be one that we, as humans, would be obliged to oppose with every muscle and every cell.

And, in fact, whether there is a god or not it is our obligation to oppose the outrages and pains of this planet. Here’s something I wrote a while back.

Since there is no god, it is our job to do His work. God is not a being, he is an aspiration, a gift, a vision, a goal to seek. O

urs is the responsibility of making a cruel universe turn just, of turning pains to understandings and new insights into joy, of creating ways to soar the skies for generations yet to come, of fashioning wings with which our children’s children shall overcome, of making worlds of fantasy materialize as reality, of mining and transforming our greatest gifts–our passions, our imaginings, our pains, our insecurities, and our lusts.

This is the work of deity, and deity is a power that resides in us. - Howard Bloom

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
CELTIC-DEVIL wrote:

The more people that are aware of this real tragedy in our society, the more likely it is that it will be dealt with. Most of us don’t want to think about such things, I know. But it won’t go away by simply ignoring it or being oblivious.

[/quote]

Great point. Satan does exist. People want to sugar coat that fact by calling it a “psychological disorder”. It’s pure evil. Plain and simple. Ignoring it won’t make it go away. Giving it a clinical name only justifies it. Just like some people are filled with the Holy Spirit, some people are filled with the spirit of Satan.

I expect the athiests to chime in very soon with mounds of scientific evidence to disprove this.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
[/quote]

I am not sure this is true. The truth is that these type of gruesome acts have existed for a long time. I dont think that there is less or more evil now than before.

While it is true that we need to be aware of these things, the existence of
electronic media (tv, internet) makes it seem like these things are more prevalent than they actually are.

The Press, looking for sensational stories, exploits these kinds of stories to no end, concentrating for weeks on one story. After a while, people start getting paranoid, thinking that their child has a HIGH chance of being molested in a similar manner. And so, parents start being hyper-vigilant. Wont let their children go out to play, etc.

Now I dont want to diminish the horror of such tragedies, however, the child has a MUCH greater chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the supermarket…yet, parents wont think twice about putting the child in the car and taking a trip to the supermarket.

If ultimate good exists, then ultimate evil must also exist. In every major religious thought the idea of postive and negative, or good and evil exists. There are a lot of wonderous and beautiful things in this world. There is also pure evil in this world.

The reason why we need to post things like this is that we are Men and Women of action at T-Nation. We need to get upset about these horrific events and try to change them. Imagine if your that poor little boy bein sodomized again and again by the people that are supposed to love and protect you. I can’t imagine that this is an isolated incident.

I would much rather know about something like this and try to help change things in the future, than live my life with blinders on hoping that nothing like this ever effects my family or me.

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
I asked my friend Howard Bloom[/quote]

You are friends with Howard Bloom?

[quote]Thai_Bxr wrote:
If ultimate good exists, then ultimate evil must also exist.[/quote]

That isn’t true. Everything isn’t guaranteed an opposite.

People like this deserve to be tortured in the most inhumane ways imaginable. I was abused when I was younger myself. I am not here to debate religion but thank God I made it through to the other side. My abuser was like most others, I was not the only one. And like most of them as well, he got away with it within the courts. But not from me. Let me know where this “family” is please. I’ve done it before, I can do it again. And I sleep very well at night thank you.

He called me friend first :slight_smile: so yes, I am.

He has changed my life in every way possible. A true mentor. If you’d like to discuss his books separately, do PM me. I’d love to chat.

Amir

[quote]nephorm wrote:
AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
I asked my friend Howard Bloom

You are friends with Howard Bloom?[/quote]

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Just like some people are filled with the Holy Spirit, some people are filled with the spirit of Satan.
[/quote]

Oh that is right, it is not those people’s fault that they raped and murdered the child-- Satan made them do it. Do you even know what the word satan means and how it originated? Evil is as evil does Forrest; everyone should assume responsibility for their actions. If it is proved that those worthless pieces of protoplasm actually committed the crime, then they should be publicly eviscerated. And no, before you jump to your assumptions, I am not an atheist; I am a baptized Southern Baptist with a golden ticket to Heaven.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Thai_Bxr wrote:
If ultimate good exists, then ultimate evil must also exist.

That isn’t true. Everything isn’t guaranteed an opposite.[/quote]

There is an equal and opposite reaction. You do something good for me and I do something evil for you. Isn’t that how it works?

Im glad people out there think like me. The law is full of loopholes - one child rapist or molester getting away with this heinous crime is one too many for me. Personal god I don’t buy - personal justice I’m all giddy about. Live on man! I hope you can wake a few others up to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, we cant always leave justice up to the courts and the police.

Amir

[quote]2fat4me wrote:
People like this deserve to be tortured in the most inhumane ways imaginable. I was abused when I was younger myself. I am not here to debate religion but thank God I made it through to the other side. My abuser was like most others, I was not the only one. And like most of them as well, he got away with it within the courts. But not from me. Let me know where this “family” is please. I’ve done it before, I can do it again. And I sleep very well at night thank you.[/quote]

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Thai_Bxr wrote:
If ultimate good exists, then ultimate evil must also exist.

That isn’t true. Everything isn’t guaranteed an opposite.[/quote]

it’s true to the degree that “good” exists on a continuum, where the lack of good is “evil”.

Evil exists. And I think the line between evil and mental illness can be pretty thin. And that it’s often not a distinction that should be made for practical purposes and when society responds. I don’t why Satan need be brought into the equation. It doesn’t really matter what the source is.

As far as no benevolent God allowing bad things to happen, that is not necessarily so. Without pain, there is no growth. Adveristy teaches strength and resilience and builds character. If everything was perfect, we’d all be bouncing around like the vapid little sprites of fantasy novels. And maybe there’s no good without evil. If everythings exactly the same, there’s nothing to contrast or compare it too. And good things lose some or all of their meaning.

You should all read the book: 'Why Bad Things Happen to Good People'. It's not necessarily entirely convincing. But it IS thought-provoking.

his father and friend took turns molesting the boy while his mother watched… before killing him? what must have been going through that kids mind?

i think the real question here would be: is god real? because if he is, he certainly doesn’t seem to give a shit.