T Nation

Does Russia Invade the Ukraine?

So for the next world distracion, does Russia invade Ukraine?

Troops on the border, alledged coop attempt…

What’s your thoughts on this?

Russia already invaded Ukraine in 2014 and the war - involving regular Russian troops - has been going on for seven years now, albeit mostly static trench warfare for the last five years.

The question is whether Russia launches a massive offensive to create a land bridge to Crimea.

In previous military adventures Putin approval ratings were the most reliable indicator - when they fall down below a certain threshold military action ensues. Due a massive Covid death toll (excess deaths are close to 600k) his numbers have falled roughly to levels not seen since before the Georgia War and the invasion of Crimea and that’s a bad thing.

2 Likes

You should really stop using the excess death rate or excess deaths metric. It is very misleading. It is not a metric that shows how many additional deaths are due to to the normal deaths. It is a metric to measure Covid deaths more accurately (debatable) in case something gets unreported. The limitations are that all excess deaths are now trown to the Covid numbers. Really stop misleading people.

There are around 260k covid deaths in Russia and most of these people would have died anyway.

Russia had more deaths in 2005 and 2010 than 2020 and 2021.

On Topic. What means invades? They are perfectly capable of gaining Ukrainian teritory, but to invade entire Ukraine, I dont think so.

1 Like

Correction. All of those people would have died anyway.

2 Likes

There is no international fear of the U.S. anymore. Maybe because Biden is more stable and predictable than Trump would have been, or maybe because Biden is a huge pussy. I don’t know. But if I lived in the Ukraine or Taiwan, I’d be pretty damn nervous about now.

1 Like

I mean trump literally bullied North Korea into peace talks with South Korea via Twitter. Biden is beyond the scope of competence and kamala looks better suited to join the Kremlin than be the VPOTUS. The two are not the same.

#FireandFury

1 Like

I which alternate universe did this happen? He did give Kim Jong Un a photo op that didn’t produce absolutely anything. Kim continued testing missiles capable of carrying nuclear payloads even further afield.

Although, to be fair he did introduce Kim to the concept of fat jokes:

1 Like

You really gotta stop assuming everything trump is bad.

" Moon and Kim met a second time on 26 May to discuss Kim’s upcoming summit with Trump.[116] The summit led to further meetings between North and South Korean officials during June.[117] On 1 June, officials from both countries agreed to move forward with the military and Red Cross talks.[118] They also agreed to reopen an Inter-Korean Liaison Office in Kaesong that the South had shut down in February 2016 after a North Korean nuclear test.[118] The second meeting, involving the Red Cross and military, was held at North Korea’s Mount Kumgang resort on 22 June where it was agreed that family reunions would resume.[119] After the summit in April, a summit between US President Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un was held on 12 June 2018 in Singapore. South Korea hailed it as a success.[ citation needed ]"

If you want a more easily readable version, here’s the link: North Korea–South Korea relations - Wikipedia

Skip to “2018 thaw”.

It should be noted that North and South Korean relations improved significantly after Trump tweeted “North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States”, “They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen”

Correlation =/= causation, but I think watching NK’s attitude changing drastically less than 6 months after sure is suspicious.

I’ll concede that this was not entirely trumps doing, but to say he held no part in this is false. I’m not a huge trump fan, but shit sure was better under his leadership than current.

2 Likes

Non woke meta verse. In other words the real world.

That started during the Vietnam War, if not earlier. If there had been fear of the US, 9/11 would never had happened. And who was president then? If there had been fear of the US, the Marine barracks in Beirut would not have been bombed. And who was president then?

Those were terrorists, not states. Not the same thing.

You’ve gotta stop looking at everything through a Trump lens. Less than a year after the photo op meeting Kim launched another missile to test Trump and his Twitter bluster that led to the meeting.

As usual, Trump moved the goalposts by claming that Kim’s tests were “very standard” and should be shrugged off, despite Twitter threats about the very same issue less than a year back.

But it’s not that Biden’s administration is doing much better, as their foreign policy took a back seat to navel gazing about diversity quotas and culture wars.

Terrorists who operated freely in states and under the protection of states.

You don’t seem to understand that people can agree with trumps policies without liking trump. I admit that I liked watching people cry because trump said something that hurt their feelings, but ultimately that is what costed him his re-election. His policies were decent, but HE was a nightmare. At least now there’s no more thin veil of “honest reporting” and we can all now see that every news source is heavily biased. Unfortunately, now we just don’t care.

2 Likes

Russia seemed to be behaving themselves for years, up until the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Then everybody talked smack about packs ravenous wild dogs wandering the streets and Russia being a shit hole in general. Since then Putin’s been a real pain in the ass.

North Korea really calmed down after the world made a big deal about Kim’s little sister attending the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Maybe everyone can pretend Putin and Russia are really cool and make a big deal about it during the 2022 Winter Olympics,stroke his ego and calm this jerk off down.

The Russo-Georgian War [note 3] was a war between Georgia, Russia and the Russian-backed self-proclaimed republics of South Ossetia and Abkhazia. The war took place in August 2008 following a period of worsening relations between Russia and Georgia, both formerly constituent republics of the Soviet Union. The fighting took place in the strategically important Transcaucasia region. It is regarded as the first European war of the 21st century.[31]