T Nation

Does Pasteurization Break Avidin Bond?

I’m wondering who here uses liquid eggs in their protein shakes and what they use.
Obviously if the Avidin in the eggs isn’t broken then the protein is kind of useless and if they’re not pasteurized they’re somewhat dangerous.

I’ve seen several companies that offer pasteurized egg whites. The problem though, is one of the companies says the pasteurization process neutralizes the Avidin, and another one specifically says it doesn’t.

For example:
http://www.betterneggs.com/faq/answer.cfm?qid=17
“AllWhites must be fully cooked in order for the Biotin present in egg whites to be available for absorption. In its natural raw state, Avidin, a protein found in egg whites, binds with Biotin (a B-vitamin). When bound to Avidin, our bodies are unable to absorb Biotin from the egg white. The heat treatment or pasteurization temperature of the AllWhites is not high enough to denature the Avidin protein, therefore the Biotin remains bound.”

http://www.eggwhitesint.com/go/bodybuilding-protein
"100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International, are cooked, and yet kept in a liquid state. They are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 31/2 minutes. This proper temperature kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin without damaging the protein, to allow the egg white to be digested safely by the human body. "

It sounds like both pasteurize, but ‘Egg Whites International’, I?m assuming, goes to a higher temperature to break that bond??? I?m curious what temp each goes to. If they go to the same temp and one is saying the bond is broken and the other says it?s not, then there is a problem.

What do youguys think? Anyone know for sure?
Are there better products?

Wow man. You already did the research. Either accept that the company cooked the shit to the proper temperature to denature the avidin, or don’t trust them and cook your shit. You don’t have to put egg whites in your protein man. Cook them and eat them. Or use some egg albumen protein.

[quote].jond wrote:
I’m wondering who here uses liquid eggs in their protein shakes and what they use.
Obviously if the Avidin in the eggs isn’t broken then the protein is kind of useless [/quote]

All avidin does is block the absorption of biotin taken at the same time (one of the B vitamins.) No big deal, just don’t rely on biotin taken at that time.

While your quotes said this, you seem to have taken it to mean a whole lot more than it does.

Blocking absorption of avidin consumed at the same time hardly makes the protein “useless” if the avidin is not denatured.

I have no idea whether pasteurized eggs have the avidin denatured or not, other than what the companies say which I have no reason to doubt.

Pasteurization is the required to mostly sterilize and to sterilize to a degree fully satisfactory and safe for refrigerated storage and human consumption (full sterilization is usually called ultra-pasteurization, and allows long-term room temperature storage.) There are at least two differing protocols use (three is you count ultra-pasteurization.)

It would seem reasonable enough for you to assume that each respective company is giving you accurate information. Why assume they are lying? One company very well might apply a higher temperature and/or greater time under heat and thus have different outcomes with regard to avidin as they say they do.