T Nation

Does My Strength Program Suck?

DOES MY PROGRAM SUCK â?? iâ??ve read a lot (started out reading all of stronglifts, now am reading through t nation, have picked up stuff here and there from westside barbell [way too advanced for me but good to know for if i get past intermediate stage)

Iâ??m training for strength and nothing else. Iâ??m 6â??9 and 98kgs BW.

This is my program I train every 48 hours so I do an A workout every 4 days and a B workout every 4 days:

Note there is NO PRESSING AT ALL (horizontal or vertical) in my program as I have shoulder front ligament tightness/damage that I donâ??t know how to rehab--- Itâ??s not aggravated by any of my current lifts I donâ??t think?). The shoulder thing means I also canâ??t do pullups or FRONT SQUATS

Note also, I add weight to each lift every workout.

A

Squat 5*5
Power Clean 5*3
Weighted Back extension on Roman Chair 4*12
Unilateral single leg movement A, B or C (cycling through them each session [currently these are Pistols 4*10-12, Weighted Walking Lunge 4*8-10 each leg, Weighted Reverse Lunge from a step 4*6])

B
Squat 5*5
Deadlift 1*5 (after 2 warm sets of 5 reps) Alternating (so once every 8 days) with Deadlift from a 4.5inch deficit 4*6-8 reps [the deficit is to work on my weakness getting the bar off the floor]
Weighted Back extension on Roman Chair 4*12
Unilateral single leg movement A, B or C (cycling through them each session [currently these are Pistols 4*10-12, Weighted Walking Lunge 4*8-10 each leg, Weighted Reverse Lunge from a step 4*6])

The Back extension is an assistance exercise that I will change when I stop progressing: Iâ??ve been doing it nearly 4 weeks and am up to holding 40 kg.
I started doing the back extension as I was leaning forward on the squat too much as a result of losing tightness in core region (I think). Now Iâ??m worried that my back is taking over on the squat and the deadlift.
The assistance exercises I have to choose from when I switch are: Reverse Hyper (if I can find somewhere to do it; no reverse hyper station at my gym), Glute Ham Raise, Pull through for back or for glute. [Iâ??d like to use Good Mornings and/or RDLs as an assistance exercise but I understand you canâ??t as theyâ??re main exercises???]

I will be changing the Unilateral single leg movements up (switching to Bulgarian split squat, Lunge step up) when I stop progressing on them: Iâ??m up to 25-27.5kg dumbbells for the lunge movements

Iâ??m on Squat 5RM 112.5kg*5
Deadlift 5RM 120*5
Power Clean 72.5*5*3

The main reason Iâ??m doing the single leg stuff is to equal out my leg strength; currently my right quad is weak on pistols but the right glute is strong and vice versa on the left leg. I also want to fix knee caving on the squat and single leg movements should help fix my weak adductors.

Things I think are wrong with my program:
-Too much volume: squatting heavy 3*a week (trying to increase weight each time)
-Too much volume on deadlift (Iâ??m only doing 80kg*8 on the deficit day but when this gets over 100kg it will start causing overtraining as I will be deadlifting heavy (for me) once every 4 days
-Too much for legs doing Squats, powercleans and single leg movements???
-No horizontal pulling: Iâ??d really like to do inverted row progressions, then bent over barbell row or something similar BUT Iâ??d be overtraining back if I did this on powerclean day???
-NO pressing (horizontal or vertical as I have shoulder front ligament tightness/damage that I donâ??t know how to rehab--- Itâ??s not aggravated by any of my current lifts I donâ??t think?) ---- Is no pressing going to affect my squat/dead/clean?

quit worrying about over training. many many many people including myself squat more than 3x/week. You will be fine if you vary the intensity. squat medium, light, heavy over the course of the 3 sessions.

Doing horizontal pulling after power cleans is fine. What is your actual shoulder injury or is not even diagnosed? You should get it diagnosed and fixed up by a good sports rehab therapist. You should be able to floor press without aggravating it.

you are far far far from over training as long as you eat enough and sleep.

-chris