Does My Routine Look Decent?

hey everyone first post here i was wondering if this routine is decent. Its geared towards a mix of both strength and muscle (bodybuilding with some strength training)

day 1
squat 3x5
leg press 2x7
shrugs 3x9
calf raise 3x11

day 2
OHP 3x5
dips 2x7 (assisted because i weigh 250 and I’m not strong enough yet to do much more)
close grip bench 3x8
pullups 2x7

day 3
off

day 4
off

day 5
deadlift 1x4
farmers walk
palm down forearm curl 3x8
front squats 3x6

day 6
bench press 3x5
rows 3x7
DB press 3x6
bicep curl 3x8

day 7
off

day 8
off

please don’t beat it up to much, i spent all night putting it together and would like opinions on if i will do well. i know there are probably more options that are more optimal but since i created this by myself i would like to finish it for about 8 weeks. please let me know what modifications you would use or if you would use it at all. thanks

ps. this is for a natural lifter trying to gain more strength and muscle

No offense but this is a mix of random and illogical put on a piece of paper. If you dont know how to program then stay with the time test programs man. This is not a stab at you but you don’t know what your doing and this will most likely have you spinning your wheels (that will stay small) for a while. I’m not a huge fan of 5-3-1 but it is a good program for beginners and your goals. Once you learn more or get with some more experienced guys then try to experiment.

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:
hey everyone first post here i was wondering if this routine is decent. Its geared towards a mix of both strength and muscle (bodybuilding with some strength training)

day 1
squat 3x5
leg press 2x7
shrugs 3x9
calf raise 3x11

day 2
OHP 3x5
dips 2x7 (assisted because i weigh 250 and I’m not strong enough yet to do much more)
close grip bench 3x8
pullups 2x7

day 3
off

day 4
off

day 5
deadlift 1x4
farmers walk
front squats 3x6

day 6
bench press 3x5
rows 3x7
DB press 3x6
bicep curl 3x8

day 7
off

day 8
off

please don’t beat it up to much, i spent all night putting it together and would like opinions on if i will do well. i know there are probably more options that are more optimal but since i created this by myself i would like to finish it for about 8 weeks. please let me know what modifications you would use or if you would use it at all. thanks

ps. this is for a natural lifter trying to gain more strength and muscle
[/quote]

No, it’s not.
Stronglifts 5x5, Greyskull LP, 5/3/1

I’ve already done 5/3/1 and strong lifts. my deadliest is 405 and bench is 265 and squat is 390. any other programs? i wanna try something new and not 5x5 and 531 i wanna incorporate more stuff

If you like the strength and body building training try power body building I’ve recently done the dieting version its amazing the bb one looks good too I’m going to do that later in the year

its basically your big 4 lift 7 sets of 4 for 4 reps weeks then 3reps then 2 reps on a rotations each over 4 weeks followed by 4-5 exercise 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps depending on what body part you are doing.

I’ve just started 5,3,1 its like that but you lift as much as you can for the lifts you don’t work off percentages your lifts will go up but it is really taxing on the body.

But the real answer to your question is find a split that you like and do it at the end of the day if you don’t like the split you are doing you wont do it.

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:
I’ve already done 5/3/1 and strong lifts. my deadliest is 405 and bench is 265 and squat is 390. any other programs? i wanna try something new and not 5x5 and 531 i wanna incorporate more stuff[/quote]

Try an upper/lower split like lyle mcdonald’s generic bulking routine.

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:
I’ve already done 5/3/1 and strong lifts. my deadliest is 405 and bench is 265 and squat is 390. any other programs? i wanna try something new and not 5x5 and 531 i wanna incorporate more stuff[/quote]

I’ll never understand why some one would refuse to do a program that is producing results for them just because they wanna add some extra stuff.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:

I’ll never understand why some one would refuse to do a program that is producing results for them just because they wanna add some extra stuff. [/quote]
Exactly. It sounds like your goal is to have interesting workouts. If you goal is to get stronger and leaner, then keep doing what is working.

Also, 5/3/1 has a lot of templates. Pick one that has the assistance moves that you want to do. If you get bored, switch to a different assistance template while continuing to build the main lifts.

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:
my deadliest is 405 and bench is 265 and squat is 390.[/quote]
This sentence may contain one of the greatest typos I’ve ever seen on this site.

But I agree with the guys, that monstrosity of a routine is just too nuts. If you “need” something different, look into one of these:

Can I ask, though, at 5’10" and 250, about how fat are you? Not a percentage, but chubby/muffin top, kinda-sorta-a little lean, bodybuilder-jacked? Not trying to tell you what your goals should be, but would it be prudent to consider spending time dropping some bodyfat?

Reed wrote;

No offense but this is a mix of random and illogical put on a piece of paper. If you dont know how to program then stay with the time test programs man. This is not a stab at you but you don’t know what your doing and this will most likely have you spinning your wheels (that will stay small) for a while. I’m not a huge fan of 5-3-1 but it is a good program for beginners and your goals. Once you learn more or get with some more experienced guys then try to experiment.

Funny enough this is really similar to my 4 day split, I call it, the Random and Illogical split
day 1, Squats, and curl’s (supersetted)
day 2, horizontal push, and pull (supersetted)
day 5, Deads, and hammer curl’s (supersetted)
day 6, vertical push, and pull ( supersetted)

Strange as well, I also like to front squat after deadlifting, we must both be from the same planet :slight_smile:

day 1
squat 3x5
leg press 2x7
shrugs 3x9
calf raise 3x11

day 2
OHP 3x5
close grip bench 3x8
pullups 2x7

day 3
off

day 4
off

day 5
deadlift 1x4
farmers walk
front squats 3x6

day 6
bench press 3x5
rows 3x7
DB press 3x6
bicep curl 3x8

day 7
off

day 8
off

Day 1, looks half decent
Day 2, Id put the pull-ups between, or with the OHP, also throw in some face-pulls in with either dips, or CGB, dont need both, alternate week to week if you need to.
Day 5, Id put the front squats before the farmers walk, then it looks solid
Day 6, dump the curls, and put some rear latteral work here ( your already training bi`s twice a week)

I think some guys are over reacting, your not far off a solid program, not everyone enjoys a cookie cutter program, I might change the rest days a bit, like 1 on, 1 off, and I might very the reps a bit, use some higher reps on some of the asistance, and cycle the reps a bit on the main moves, if youve run 531 before, than you have a grasp on how to do this. Lifting is a life long journey, you learn as you go, the sad part to me is guys, that have been lifting for a decade or more, and still following cookie cutter programs to the letter. In order to learn different things, you have to try different things. My roster is full, and Im at a point where Im actually turning clients down, because I think outside the box, and have been screwing around with different program ideas for 20yrs, using myself as guinie pig, some hits, some misses, but learning every step of the way. Good luck OP

No offense by the way, Reed, and Chris are both guys Ive learned from in the past, I think probably because Ive done alot of upper/lower splits, and programs similar to the OPs, for athletic training, I saw somthing salvage-able, if thats a word. Anyway not looking for arguement today, or one of Reeds savage comical attacks, just stating an opinion :slight_smile:

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Reed wrote;

Funny enough this is really similar to my 4 day split, I call it, the Random and Illogical split
day 1, Squats, and curl’s (supersetted)
day 2, horizontal push, and pull (supersetted)
day 5, Deads, and hammer curl’s (supersetted)
day 6, vertical push, and pull ( supersetted)

Strange as well, I also like to front squat after deadlifting, we must both be from the same planet :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Lol I was referring more to his rep scheme more than anything. I also Front Squat after Deadlifting haha so :-p.