Does Maxing Make You Stronger?

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
They can definitely build strength. Remember, 3 keys to build strength according to Louie:

Lift maximal weights (ME day)

Lift submaximal weights as fast as possible (DE day)

Lift submaximal weights as many times as possible (RE day - best for size)

Finally, to avoid CNS burn out you can’t max out continually in the same exercise every week.

The short answer is yes, it does work but you can’t do it all the time because it stops working after a while. I don’t think anybody could say “no, it doesn’t work” and not have to qualify their answer.

The longer answer is that maximal effort doesn’t have to mean hitting a true 1RM as many posters have noted, I find that singles in the 87-97% range but doing multiple sets or clusters or however you want to set it, can all work very well because this keeps the all important intensity but builds in the needed volume for adaptations as well.

I agree, lots of good points in the discussion[/quote]

You can not “burn out” your central nervous system with weight training. That is an old myth that really needs to die. If your cns was really burnt out, you’d be lying in a hospital bed.[/quote]

The sun won’t come out tomorrow that is an old myth, it never went in.

[quote]Caltene wrote:

You can not “burn out” your central nervous system with weight training. That is an old myth that really needs to die. If your cns was really burnt out, you’d be lying in a hospital bed.[/quote]

Why do we sleep?

[quote]Caltene wrote:

You’ve clearly not worked hard enough in the gym then. Or, you aren’t strong enough to know the truth.

Nobody here is idiotic enough to be implying that using the phrase “burnout” with regard to the CNS denotes a literal sense of burnout, like say…electrocution or lightning strike.

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Why do we sleep?[/quote]

That’s a loaded question that doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

They can definitely build strength. Remember, 3 keys to build strength according to Louie:

Finally, to avoid CNS burn out you can’t max out continually in the same exercise every week.

The short answer is yes, it does work but you can’t do it all the time because it stops working after a while. I don’t think anybody could say “no, it doesn’t work” and not have to qualify their answer.

The longer answer is that maximal effort doesn’t have to mean hitting a true 1RM as many posters have noted, I find that singles in the 87-97% range but doing multiple sets or clusters or however you want to set it, can all work very well because this keeps the all important intensity but builds in the needed volume for adaptations as well.

I have been pretty fucking close on several occasions. [/quote]

Just eat more and you shouldn’t come close.

Caltene pls

Trolldar alert.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

You’ve clearly not worked hard enough in the gym then. Or, you aren’t strong enough to know the truth.

Nobody here is idiotic enough to be implying that using the phrase “burnout” with regard to the CNS denotes a literal sense of burnout, like say…electrocution or lightning strike.[/quote]

lolwut?

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Just eat more and you shouldn’t come close.[/quote]

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Why do we sleep?[/quote]

That’s a loaded question that doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said.[/quote]

I honestly would not mind debating this issue with you if you wish to do so, however your response to Storm that he should “just eat more” is making me question if it is even worth it.

If you want to debate the issue then let’s start by doing the following:
How do you define CNS fatigue
Is it possible for anything to produce CNS fatigue or not? If yes than what are some examples that you think would cause such an effect?
Why do we sleep (not a loaded question and directly related to the topic)?

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Nobody here is idiotic enough to be implying that using the phrase “burnout” with regard to the CNS denotes a literal sense of burnout, like say…electrocution or lightning strike.[/quote]

lolwut?[/quote]
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23821208.jpg

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

I’ve never thought of it that way. Thanks for the constructive addition to this thread. Seriously, you have a wealth of information that has obviously come from real life strength training and hard earned “under the bar” experience. I’d say you are actually the most influential person to my own training. I just wish I could have found you sooner and not wasted so many years of my life chasing my tail in the weightroom. I will start eating more so that I don’t have CNS fatigue… that you say isn’t a real thing… but you say eating more will help when it happens. These kind of insane contrasting statements on real life things that happen or don’t happen or kinda happen could only come from one of the greatest minds in the iron game. Honestly, I don’t even know how you have time to post here. You’ve got to be up to your elbows in power point presentations for seminars or developing programs for numerous high level strength sport athletes. Thanks again for making the time to share all of this meaningful and scientifically definite information that you have spent countless hours researching. I appreciate everything you have done for my personal life and my training life. I actually have strong physical and emotional attachement to you. I can feel the sweet, excited release of endorphins everytime I come across a new post of yours. What I am trying to say is, I love you. Keep up the good work. I’ll be watching :wink:

I’ve never thought of it that way. Thanks for the constructive addition to this thread. Seriously, you have a wealth of information that has obviously come from real life strength training and hard earned “under the bar” experience. I’d say you are actually the most influential person to my own training. I just wish I could have found you sooner and not wasted so many years of my life chasing my tail in the weightroom. I will start eating more so that I don’t have CNS fatigue… that you say isn’t a real thing… but you say eating more will help when it happens. These kind of insane contrasting statements on real life things that happen or don’t happen or kinda happen could only come from one of the greatest minds in the iron game. Honestly, I don’t even know how you have time to post here. You’ve got to be up to your elbows in power point presentations for seminars or developing programs for numerous high level strength sport athletes. Thanks again for making the time to share all of this meaningful and scientifically definite information that you have spent countless hours researching. I appreciate everything you have done for my personal life and my training life. I actually have strong physical and emotional attachement to you. I can feel the sweet, excited release of endorphins everytime I come across a new post of yours. What I am trying to say is, I love you. Keep up the good work. I’ll be watching ;)[/quote]

LMAO

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Why do we sleep?[/quote]

That’s a loaded question that doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said.[/quote]

I honestly would not mind debating this issue with you if you wish to do so, however your response to Storm that he should “just eat more” is making me question if it is even worth it.

Is it possible for anything to produce CNS fatigue or not? If yes than what are some examples that you think would cause such an effect?
Why do we sleep (not a loaded question and directly related to the topic)?[/quote]

Well, you using the phrase “cns burnout” in a weight training article makes me question if it is even worth it. So does you insisting on me telling you why we sleep, lol.

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

I’ve never thought of it that way. Thanks for the constructive addition to this thread. Seriously, you have a wealth of information that has obviously come from real life strength training and hard earned “under the bar” experience. I’d say you are actually the most influential person to my own training. I just wish I could have found you sooner and not wasted so many years of my life chasing my tail in the weightroom. I will start eating more so that I don’t have CNS fatigue… that you say isn’t a real thing… but you say eating more will help when it happens. These kind of insane contrasting statements on real life things that happen or don’t happen or kinda happen could only come from one of the greatest minds in the iron game. Honestly, I don’t even know how you have time to post here. You’ve got to be up to your elbows in power point presentations for seminars or developing programs for numerous high level strength sport athletes. Thanks again for making the time to share all of this meaningful and scientifically definite information that you have spent countless hours researching. I appreciate everything you have done for my personal life and my training life. I actually have strong physical and emotional attachement to you. I can feel the sweet, excited release of endorphins everytime I come across a new post of yours. What I am trying to say is, I love you. Keep up the good work. I’ll be watching ;)[/quote]

lmao! That was actually funny, I’ll give you that.:slight_smile: But try paragraphs next time please, walls of text hurt.

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Why do we sleep?[/quote]

Why do we sleep (not a loaded question and directly related to the topic)?[/quote]

Don’t bother Tim, check out any of his recent posts -non stop trollling and douchery.

What I don’t understand is why a guy who has been here for the better part of 5 years and only less than a hundred posts now starts to be an idiotic troll? This is some fucking Russian KGB sleeper-agent type shit going on here!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
What I don’t understand is why a guy who has been here for the better part of 5 years and only less than a hundred posts now starts to be an idiotic troll? This is some fucking Russian KGB sleeper-agent type shit going on here![/quote]
lol

Too bad some jackass took a good discussion off the rails.

Shame, this is a great topic too