T Nation

Does Lifting Stunt Your Growth?

Isn't it a myth that if you lift as a teenager (your growing years), you do not grow to your full potential?

If I am correct, please direct me towards any articles or evidence proving this. I am trying to get my cousin to start lifting but he is very hesitant because he does not want to mess up his height.

Thanks

BS

just try to get a routine,nutrition and rest proper for your age,size,weight. You shoudl be fine.

exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weightlifting/YouthMisconceptions.html

[quote]Fluid wrote:
Isn’t it a myth that if you lift as a teenager (your growing years), you do not grow to your full potential?

If I am correct, please direct me towards any articles or evidence proving this. I am trying to get my cousin to start lifting but he is very hesitant because he does not want to mess up his height.

Thanks[/quote]

No
end thread

brownab please stay off my thread. thanks

A similiar thread esisted not so long ago. Gmoore’s post clears the issue up.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
If I remember correctly I think there is something like 5 or 6 documents related growth plate fracture on younger kids and weight training, and apprently none were exactly convincing…

Rippetoe’s SS book has a very intersting article in it with a table showing the injury rates for sports, with soccer being by far the highest, and supervised weight training being very low somewhere on the list…

It also outlines the fact that most people(in this case, gym class teachers and kids looking at incorrect technique on the interenet and such) simply don’t know how to effectively and safely train with weights and poor instructon and poorer techinique are the culprits for this myth[/quote]