Does it Matter What You Eat

It’s hard to hit the macro’s you’re aiming for (ie: to get shredded) eating pizza or other junk food, so by virtue you will undoubtedly be forced into eating some more “healthy” foods to achieve the calorie and macro goals.

That being said, while from a physiological perspective carb sources from children’s cereal may be the same as potatoes (in terms of fat loss), I’ve found there is a big difference between the satiety of the two foods. By eating good whole “clean” foods you can eliminate a lot of the cravings that are associated with overeating.

At least that’s the case with me.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]ben_joven wrote:
I’m going to have to disagree with the theory that it doesn’t matter where your sources of macronutrients come from.

As far as carbs are concerned you should really steer clear of gluten, wheat, legumes and grains. That stuff can really mess up your gut, and as you know your gut is your 2nd brain, so if you’re eating a lot of stuff that’s going to mess up your intestinal track and your belly you’re going to feel like sh*t.

As far as protein is concerned I would go with some good clean whey, grass fed beef or some wild caught salmon. Don’t fuck with that corn fed beef, because it will really mess up your innards.

I would get my carbs from things like nuts, greens and non-starchy veggies like yams and sweet potatoes.

Google the “Paleo diet” or “Paleolithic diet” and you’ll see what I mean.[/quote]

Yay, someone’s had their first read of Robb Wolf and knows how to regurgitate all his info. Whey is not paleo btw. You’ve contradicted yourself. [/quote]

Yeah whey, dark chocolate and almond butter is going to be the death of me but besides that and a little espresso every morning I try and eat 80-90% paleo ie no more gas, bloating or constant belching and GI issues. Also I don’t have brain fog like I did when my food intake was high processed foods and wheat.

[quote]qsar wrote:

[quote]ben_joven wrote:
I’m going to have to disagree with the theory that it doesn’t matter where your sources of macronutrients come from.

As far as carbs are concerned you should really steer clear of gluten, wheat, legumes and grains. That stuff can really mess up your gut, and as you know your gut is your 2nd brain, so if you’re eating a lot of stuff that’s going to mess up your intestinal track and your belly you’re going to feel like sh*t.

As far as protein is concerned I would go with some good clean whey, grass fed beef or some wild caught salmon. Don’t fuck with that corn fed beef, because it will really mess up your innards.

I would get my carbs from things like nuts, greens and non-starchy veggies like yams and sweet potatoes.

Google the “Paleo diet” or “Paleolithic diet” and you’ll see what I mean.[/quote]

I just want to add that for me, eating tons of wheat-based products does screw up my digestive system. I just found this out the hard way. Looking for good replacements (rice, potatoes?).

I also want to add that eating a lot of whey also makes my belly ache and I end up taking a piss every 2 hours at night :
[/quote]

Dude there’s a ton of “Caveman” type carbs that I love eating, Almond butter from Trader Joe’s is pretty good, yams and sweet potatoes post workout is pretty good and a little fruit for that insulin spike post-workout is good too.

[quote]Samir wrote:
The ‘I ate junk and I’m ripped’ usually boils down to two things, in my experience

• Teenager metabolism, in which a guy who eats like crap but is active and young has a 4-pac and no development.
  • A guy who secretly eats properly alone and has pizza/beer when he’s out socially, and a decent physique but still held back because of frat night/poker night/football sunday binges.

You can’t be impressively huge, impressively cut and impressively healthy if your diet is unimpressive more than 5-10% of the time.
[/quote]

I think you should also count in a third factor: genetics. The first example that comes to mind is college football players. I went to a SEC school and have talked to some of the athletes there, and they basically ate whatever junk they wanted. Granted, they were working out hard enough and frequently enough that they were just trying to make sure they got the food in, but it’s shocking to me how little college programs talk to their athletes about proper nutrition. Of course, all this would be unsurprising if I were just talking about the offensive linemen or something, but the same holds for the running backs, tight ends, linebackers, etc.

Thanks for all the responses everyone I appreciate it. TimbahWolf is one of the main people who comes to mind when I think about this topic.

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post links but this guy shredded by anyone’s standards and he’s gotten ripped eating junk food to prove a point that it can be done.

I agree with the folks on here saying that it would behoove a person to eat quality foods rather than junk. But, playing devils advocate, skip loading definitely has its successes, and that is a dieting technique pretty much focused on eating craptastic food for an entire day. Now before someone says “that’s not all you eat, it’s only for the day of the load!” I realize that, but the fact that the whole diet strategy is centered around that ungodly amount of processed sugary carbs and that it can get you shredded as hell makes me think it is a little more dependent on macro/metabolism and less on macro quality. fwiw I have tried skiploading and it is effective, but I didn’t like the fact that the only way to do it effectively was to eat crappy food, i tried it with quality food, and there was no way I could get in the amount of carbs necessary for it to work properly.

I only eat grass fed unicorn steaks and brown rice grown with holy water blessed by a Buddhist monk on the highest peak in the Himalayan mountains.

Already addressed on the same page of this forum! Read some threads before posting. Granted this guys post title wasnt the most obvious.

If you’re talking purely about weight loss and weight gain, where you get your calories from doesn’t matter. When you start talking about body composition, physique and performance, hormones come into play and then the source of your macros GREATLY matter.

[quote]robertgoulet wrote:
I agree with the folks on here saying that it would behoove a person to eat quality foods rather than junk. But, playing devils advocate, skip loading definitely has its successes, and that is a dieting technique pretty much focused on eating craptastic food for an entire day. Now before someone says “that’s not all you eat, it’s only for the day of the load!” I realize that, but the fact that the whole diet strategy is centered around that ungodly amount of processed sugary carbs and that it can get you shredded as hell makes me think it is a little more dependent on macro/metabolism and less on macro quality. fwiw I have tried skiploading and it is effective, but I didn’t like the fact that the only way to do it effectively was to eat crappy food, i tried it with quality food, and there was no way I could get in the amount of carbs necessary for it to work properly.[/quote]
If you are eating healthy but low calorie most of the time and then binge on some junk purely for calories/carbs then its not going to be as detrimental in the long haul. However eating shit food all the time with the reasoning that it doesnt matter what source the macros are coming from is definately a bad idea.

[quote]
If you are eating healthy but low calorie most of the time and then binge on some junk purely for calories/carbs then its not going to be as detrimental in the long haul. However eating shit food all the time with the reasoning that it doesnt matter what source the macros are coming from is definately a bad idea.[/quote]

I agree, but I was making the point that as far as physique goals are concerned skiploading is proof that people can eat junk food and get in contest shape. albeit they don’t eat junk food constantly it’s still a significant amount, (probably more than someone should eat in a few weeks) downed in just a few hours.

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
If you’re talking purely about weight loss and weight gain, where you get your calories from doesn’t matter. When you start talking about body composition, physique and performance, hormones come into play and then the source of your macros GREATLY matter.[/quote]

This.

The extent to which the macros matter is based on individual genetics. Some people need to be much more careful/precise with what goes into their body than others, in order to look their best.

I still go back to moderation. You should aim to include mainly whole food sources for your carbs…because well to me they are simply more satiating and of course, they do offer a much better micronutrient profile.

That being said…you should never go longer than a week without some form of kids cereal…or you will die.

x2 on kid’s cereal. Got some cinnamon toast crunch in the cupboard.

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Yeah this has always confused me. Guys like John Romaniello say that what you eat is very important for losing weight. Meanwhile guys like TimbahWolf (search youtube) eats whatever food sources he wants and he’s walking around at like 8% bodyfat. [/quote]

as for “timbahwolf” a.k.a Kane sumabat… he eats poorly as Stu said, a treat. He does not eat donuts and twinkies on a regular basis.

[quote]eightohfive wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Yeah this has always confused me. Guys like John Romaniello say that what you eat is very important for losing weight. Meanwhile guys like TimbahWolf (search youtube) eats whatever food sources he wants and he’s walking around at like 8% bodyfat. [/quote]

as for “timbahwolf” a.k.a Kane sumabat… he eats poorly as Stu said, a treat. He does not eat donuts and twinkies on a regular basis. [/quote]

Back when I was over at bodybuilding.com (god help me) we sent some messages back and forth and he talked about how he did an entire cut getting his macros from whatever sources he wanted.

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

[quote]eightohfive wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

as for “timbahwolf” a.k.a Kane sumabat… he eats poorly as Stu said, a treat. He does not eat donuts and twinkies on a regular basis. [/quote]

Back when I was over at bodybuilding.com (god help me) we sent some messages back and forth and he talked about how he did an entire cut getting his macros from whatever sources he wanted. [/quote]

Well I can say just macros on their own (energy macros) mean less in a legitimate caloric deficit. Once protein is accounted for at atleast 1g/lb of bodyweight…how you shuffle the energy macros around won’t mean all too much assuming a deficit. Unless we are talking about cutting into obscene low levels of bodyfat.

Now for SOURCES…I mean…this gets convoluted because there is no one, clear definition of “clean” food or “dirty” food…So, I’ll go back to moderation. If you are allowed 100g of carbs and you eat 80g from a “clean” (undefinable) source…and the the other 20 or so grams from a candy bar…do you really think this is going to dent you?

if you account for animal derived protein, fiber, and total kcal…

you can become a fucking legend…

Eat purple potatoes!