T Nation

Does HOT-ROX Make You Feel Flat?

I’m about a week into taking HOT-ROX Extreme and noted most remarkably how flat I feel and look after taking it. After some research, I think my flatness is best attributed to an increase of cAMP within my cells and the HRX’s interference with glucose uptake*–NOT a significant loss in fat or a sign of insufficient carbohydrate consumption.

In other words, the heat in my body is depleting my glycogen stores. This flatness is killing my motivation in the gym; sure, I feel somewhat stimulated, but also weak and small.

Does anyone else experience this? Recovery seems fine enough, but is it possible that my performance may be hampered by this lack of glycogen?

Also, Tim Patterson suggests HOT-ROX is tailor-made for a clean bulk, while there are others who claim that taking thermogenics with the aim of adding mass is somewhat self-defeating, or at best a waste of time.

Could someone knowledgeable weigh in on this? I mean, COULDN’T one indeed conceivably gain lean mass, given a calorie surplus, while minimizing fat gain or even decreasing its percentage? I mean, isn’t that what the product is supposed to do? Or is it a question of likelihood–as in, how likely is it that all the factors will be in place for this to happen?

Comments?

*-Thanks, Dr. Lowery.

anyone?

Never happened to me.

Maybe you’re not eating enough or are using too high of a dose.

Sorry, never tried HOT-ROX,perhaps you should give more info about your diet, that maybe responsible for your feelings of lethargy.

If you are in a surplus how can you lose fat? that seems a bit self defeating. Doesn’t fat lose occur when one is burning more than they are ingesting?

During my first cut when takign HRX; i wasn’t eating enough and ended up loosing a lot of muscle, and i was also “flat” if that’s how you describe the way your muscles look/feel.

but that’s just due to an improper diet on my part. thankfully i’ve learned since then and am back up about 40lbs :slight_smile:

Thanks. I think I’m gonna take some time off the HOT-ROX and see what happens.

Flatness can occur just from being under-hydrated. Or from extended periods of carb restriction.

Beyond that taking HOT-ROX during a bulk has been done, with limited success. From what I gether doing a clean bulk with some cardio and Carbolin 19, which is what people take HOT-ROX during a bulk for anyway, is the better way to go.

Drink more water, most likely the increased body temperature combined with the increased rate of fat oxidation is depleting water in your body much faster than usual, therefore resulting in less water going into your muscle cells.

OP are you on a bulk?

If he’s cutting then that would explain the flatness. Although I have to say I thought this was going to be a thread about flat-chested women.

Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?

I have used it twice during the Velocity Diet and once on its own and never experienced this. As others have mentioned I would check out your daily caloric intake as it may not be quite enough. Also, assess your water intake.

Christopher

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
Drink more water, most likely the increased body temperature combined with the increased rate of fat oxidation is depleting water in your body much faster than usual, therefore resulting in less water going into your muscle cells. [/quote]

I think Shoebolt’s assessment best explains my experience.

Yes, I am on a bulk (have been for over a year), but became a little concerned about my body fat. I considered doing a clean bulk with some cardio and Carbolin 19 as eengrms75 suggested, but decided instead to try HOT-ROX and see what happened. I now believe the former to be the better decision.

Probably a lot of different factors at play here–reduced appetite, possible insufficiency of carbs, personal sensitivity to stimulants, not enough water–but in all I think what ended up happening was that I was on an inadvertent cut.

As I mentioned before, I’m off the HOT-ROX now and I, personally, feel better. However…

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?[/quote]

I’m sure there are other means, but this seems like a legit question. For if this were the case, I think the depleted glycogen could compromise strength and recovery in the long run, and that is not bulk-friendly. Anyone know how much the Carbolin 19 could kick in to prevent this?

Also, thanks for the replies.

[quote]CollarTie wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?

I’m sure there are other means, but this seems like a legit question. For if this were the case, I think the depleted glycogen could compromise strength and recovery in the long run, and that is not bulk-friendly. Anyone know how much the Carbolin 19 could kick in to prevent this?[/quote]

That isn’t how HRX works, or even could work. Glycogen is depleted by contracting your muscles outside of their normal tolerances (i.e. lifting weights), not taking a pill.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?

I’m sure there are other means, but this seems like a legit question. For if this were the case, I think the depleted glycogen could compromise strength and recovery in the long run, and that is not bulk-friendly. Anyone know how much the Carbolin 19 could kick in to prevent this?

That isn’t how HRX works, or even could work. Glycogen is depleted by contracting your muscles outside of their normal tolerances (i.e. lifting weights), not taking a pill. [/quote]

You’re oversimplifying what I wrote.

As I mentioned before, there may indeed be other factors at play, but if HOT-ROX contributes to keeping glycogen stores in a chronically depleted state, this may not be conducive to bulking, no?

[quote]CollarTie wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?

I’m sure there are other means, but this seems like a legit question. For if this were the case, I think the depleted glycogen could compromise strength and recovery in the long run, and that is not bulk-friendly. Anyone know how much the Carbolin 19 could kick in to prevent this?

That isn’t how HRX works, or even could work. Glycogen is depleted by contracting your muscles outside of their normal tolerances (i.e. lifting weights), not taking a pill.

You’re oversimplifying what I wrote.

As I mentioned before, there may indeed be other factors at play, but if HOT-ROX contributes to keeping glycogen stores in a chronically depleted state, this may not be conducive to bulking, no?[/quote]

You’re not giving much weight to what I wrote. HRX does not work this way. If anything it works the exact opposite, since one of it’s primary functions is to preserve lean tissue when cutting. The reason it’s not intended for bulking is it’s a thermogenic and for some has a negative effect on appetite.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?

I’m sure there are other means, but this seems like a legit question. For if this were the case, I think the depleted glycogen could compromise strength and recovery in the long run, and that is not bulk-friendly. Anyone know how much the Carbolin 19 could kick in to prevent this?

That isn’t how HRX works, or even could work. Glycogen is depleted by contracting your muscles outside of their normal tolerances (i.e. lifting weights), not taking a pill.

You’re oversimplifying what I wrote.

As I mentioned before, there may indeed be other factors at play, but if HOT-ROX contributes to keeping glycogen stores in a chronically depleted state, this may not be conducive to bulking, no?

You’re not giving much weight to what I wrote. HRX does not work this way. If anything it works the exact opposite, since one of it’s primary functions is to preserve lean tissue when cutting. The reason it’s not intended for bulking is it’s a thermogenic and for some has a negative effect on appetite. [/quote]

HOT-ROX does not have to work by depleting glycogen for it to still chronically deplete glycogen, which still is not good for a bulk. That’s the point of what I’m saying.

For example, if swallowing broken glass is not conducive to a bulk because the eater’s purpose was to eat less, but instead what happens is that he ingests less food because of a bleeding stomach, the end result is the same: HE STILL EATS LESS.

[quote]CollarTie wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?

I’m sure there are other means, but this seems like a legit question. For if this were the case, I think the depleted glycogen could compromise strength and recovery in the long run, and that is not bulk-friendly. Anyone know how much the Carbolin 19 could kick in to prevent this?

That isn’t how HRX works, or even could work. Glycogen is depleted by contracting your muscles outside of their normal tolerances (i.e. lifting weights), not taking a pill.

You’re oversimplifying what I wrote.

As I mentioned before, there may indeed be other factors at play, but if HOT-ROX contributes to keeping glycogen stores in a chronically depleted state, this may not be conducive to bulking, no?

You’re not giving much weight to what I wrote. HRX does not work this way. If anything it works the exact opposite, since one of it’s primary functions is to preserve lean tissue when cutting. The reason it’s not intended for bulking is it’s a thermogenic and for some has a negative effect on appetite.

HOT-ROX does not have to work by depleting glycogen for it to still chronically deplete glycogen, which still is not good for a bulk. That’s the point of what I’m saying.

For example, if swallowing broken glass is not conducive to a bulk because the eater’s purpose was to eat less, but instead what happens is that he ingests less food because of a bleeding stomach, the end result is the same: HE STILL EATS LESS.
[/quote]

That’s a pretty stupid argument. You would only be chronically depleting glycogen if you were cutting on purpose. If your intention was to bulk and you were chronically depleting glycogen then you don’t know how to bulk, with or without HRX. That in and of itself is not a reason to not use HRX while bulking. That is a reason to learn how to bulk.

If your point with this argument is to explain that you in fact do not know how to bulk, then you’ve succeeded. But if your point is to say that HRX by itself or in some direct way depletes gylcogen then you are wrong.

It may be a factor, just as much as about anything else, including stress, what’s on TV, what time you wake up, how hard you workout in the gym, etc. Don’t over-complicate things to try and find a reason why you failed. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
CollarTie wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Would depleted glycogen be how the HRX works? No more glycogen and the body turns to fat for energy?

I’m sure there are other means, but this seems like a legit question. For if this were the case, I think the depleted glycogen could compromise strength and recovery in the long run, and that is not bulk-friendly. Anyone know how much the Carbolin 19 could kick in to prevent this?

That isn’t how HRX works, or even could work. Glycogen is depleted by contracting your muscles outside of their normal tolerances (i.e. lifting weights), not taking a pill.

You’re oversimplifying what I wrote.

As I mentioned before, there may indeed be other factors at play, but if HOT-ROX contributes to keeping glycogen stores in a chronically depleted state, this may not be conducive to bulking, no?

You’re not giving much weight to what I wrote. HRX does not work this way. If anything it works the exact opposite, since one of it’s primary functions is to preserve lean tissue when cutting. The reason it’s not intended for bulking is it’s a thermogenic and for some has a negative effect on appetite.

HOT-ROX does not have to work by depleting glycogen for it to still chronically deplete glycogen, which still is not good for a bulk. That’s the point of what I’m saying.

For example, if swallowing broken glass is not conducive to a bulk because the eater’s purpose was to eat less, but instead what happens is that he ingests less food because of a bleeding stomach, the end result is the same: HE STILL EATS LESS.

That’s a pretty stupid argument. You would only be chronically depleting glycogen if you were cutting on purpose. If your intention was to bulk and you were chronically depleting glycogen then you don’t know how to bulk, with or without HRX. That in and of itself is not a reason to not use HRX while bulking. That is a reason to learn how to bulk.

If your point with this argument is to explain that you in fact do not know how to bulk, then you’ve succeeded. But if your point is to say that HRX by itself or in some direct way depletes gylcogen then you are wrong.

It may be a factor, just as much as about anything else, including stress, what’s on TV, what time you wake up, how hard you workout in the gym, etc. Don’t over-complicate things to try and find a reason why you failed. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.[/quote]

argumentum ad hominem

I think it’s pointless to argue with you. I trust that readers will be intelligent enough to distinguish which logic is flawed and sound, and glean whatever information they should find necessary for their endeavors. Again, thank you eengrms76 and everyone else for your help.