T Nation

Does Getting Stronger= Getting Bigger?

so far articles that ive read here say to pick a goal: get stronger, get bigger, or get ripped.

technically wouldn't getting stronger= getting bigger? more muscle is needed to get stronger, so more muscle would equal more size correct?

If you eat enough, then hell yes.

I’m getting stronger, but I’m not getting bigger!
It all depends on what your goal’s are…

In general, yes, getting stronger = getting bigger.

Specifically though, getting stronger in the >5 reps = getting bigger. Less than that and you really don’t have enough volume.

I’m sure others will disagree. This has just been my experience. Working with triples, doubles and singles has done wonders for my strength, but has not added too much mass.

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
I’m getting stronger, but I’m not getting bigger!
It all depends on what your goal’s are…

[/quote]

how is that? more strength= more muscle right? more muscle would equal more size correct?

my new goal is to get bigger/hypertrophy. i was on a cutting phase for about 3 months and lost about 15 pounds while i got a little stonger. now im going for size. im currently reading Thibs article on designing a dam good workout routing.

tips?

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
…and lost about 15 pounds while i got a little stonger…[/quote]

You know why you lost weight and got stronger? Lower reps and sub-maintenance caloric level.

You can get stronger by increasing the efficiency of your Central Nervous System, ie total motor neuron recruitment and rate coding. Basically you can change how many you recruit or how fast they can be recruited again.

You can also get stronger by increasing the size of the muscle known as hypertrophy.

Technically getting stronger does not mean getting bigger, but they generally they occur at the same time to a degree since things aren’t so cut and dried.

well for the most part i was doing 8-10 reps, and a caloric intake of about 1800.

8-10 reps is in the classic hypertrophy range, but you aren’t going to gain any size eating as much as a 130lb female.

Eat and bust your ass in the gym.

its amazing how i added strength on a deficit though. ive noticed the stop in strength though. before it used to be 1800 total k/cal including my PWO, now im gonna switch it up to 1800 plus the surge PWO.

These goals are almost entirely congruent

Now, if by ‘bigger’ you have in mind ‘more asthetic’ things may change a little

[quote]Lancey wrote:
These goals are almost entirely congruent

Now, if by ‘bigger’ you have in mind ‘more asthetic’ things may change a little[/quote]

yes thats what i have in mind.

Incremental gains in bodyweight + progressively heavier weights repped to failure + lots of protein = hypertrophy

can we just get something straight? because lots of people read this stronger = bigger stuff and start doing 6 x 3 and stuff. which is NOT going to make you bigger.

you can still get stronger from moderate reps, and still get bigger.

i think another problem is people always throw out the “powerlifters are big and lift heavy” argument but i guess it slips poeples minds that powerlifters dont train heavy all the time. they divide it into higher rep weeks and lower rep weeks, sessions, whatever.

so please guys to avoid wasted training time keep the reps moderate that way you can perform decent weight but still make size gains. which will equate to size and strenght.

its amazing how i added strength on a deficit though. ive noticed the stop in strength though. before it used to be 1800 total k/cal including my PWO, now im gonna switch it up to 1800 plus the Surge PWO.[/quote]

Double this.

There’s no point spending all this time lifting weights if you’re not eating enough to get any results from it.

Seriously, I don’t know if you’re counting your shit up right, but 1800 is less than maintenance for an inactive adult male. It’s hard to do, but just eat a ton. I used to try to do a “clean bulk” and thought I was eating a lot because all I ate was fucking chicken breasts.

I was eating 1600 calories a day or something. You really don’t notice because you eat a lot, but it’s all very low-calorie. I stopped being afraid to put on fat and started eating a lot and not holding back on what I eat. I’ve put on 50lbs of mostly muscle. It’s not that impressive since I started out at 150ish, but that’s just a personal example.

Go do the same thing and you can put on even more weight. Just remember to keep lifting hard.
1800… seriously?

my rmr is 2100.

180lbs, 5’6"

I don’t know what rmr is, but I’m guessing it’s your daily caloric requirement. If so, why are you eating 1800 if yours is 2100?
Didn’t you decide to pick getting big and strong out of those 3 options that you originally listed?
Anyways, I’m confused by your goals.

RMR = resting metabolic rate I assume?

Anyhow I think we can all agree that unless you’re a freak of nature, you are not going to get strong if you’re not eating above maintenance levels (In my case, it was significantly above before I started to really get the poundages up)

Some people will respond from more sets in the lower rep range and some people will need more of a traditional 8-12 rep range in order to grow. The point is figuring out what works for YOU.

Or why can’t you go through a strength phase of 5x5 or 8x4 and then go back to a 3x10 scheme except now you can add 20lbs from the last time you did that lift 3x10.

I’ll repeat the cliche that everything works, but nothing works forever.

my rmr is 2100.

180lbs, 5’6"[/quote]

1800 cals still seems way too low if you’re trying to gain weight. i know everyone is different, but i’m 5’7" and just shy of 160 lbs, and i’m taking in between 3000 and 3500 cals a day.

you should look at Berardi’s massive eating article. he has a good formula to figure out your daily caloric expenditure. take that number and add a few hundred cals to it and see where it takes you.

read my 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread. i said i was cutting for 3 months while on 1800 calories a day and was amazed how i lost fat and got stronger at the same time.

i also said i was gonna switch it up with this new progran. i am gonna bump up my calorie intake though.