Does Geared Training Increase Raw Numbers?

I don’t know ,i never used them before ,i am not stalling in my raw progress yet, im still doing it good! so when and why gear are usefull?

I might just be making this up but… I don’t think its the actual training in gear that increases your raw numbers but just the fact you are training and getting stronger in general there will be carryover. It might also depend on your training level, if your relatively new then what I just said is even more true.

If you get close to your genetic potential doing raw then switch to gear and back to raw again you may do worse just by the fact you had not been training those exact movements for some time. Also some lifts have more carryover than others, deadlift vs the other two.

Geared powerlifting isn’t something you do to improve your raw numbers. There’s some merit to occasionally training in loose briefs or with a slingshot to overload the lockout of the associated movement, but accomodating resistance satisfies the same needs. The force curve for a raw lifter just doesn’t jive well with trying to train in gear hoping for carryover.

Ive asked a few strong equipped fellas,
most said equip teaches your cns to get used to heavier loads,
Therefore making your raw numbers a little easier to raise.

[quote]gurbob wrote:
Ive asked a few strong equipped fellas,
most said equip teaches your cns to get used to heavier loads,
Therefore making your raw numbers a little easier to raise.[/quote]

Lifting heavier weight is a good way to teach your body to lift heavier weight. Crazy how that happens.

For raw lifting, I’d say there are 2 good scenarios to use gear. First, if you’re hurt, beat up or injured the gear can allow you to train through it. Secondly, as has been mentioned, the overload factor can be beneficial.

If you’re still making steady progress, don’t change anything. Don’t fix a problem that you don’t have.

I would think chains, slingshot, reverse bands, or partials could achieve a similar effect for a lot less money unless someone just gave it to you or you found a really good bargain.