Does Evolution Destroy Religion?

[quote]Karado wrote:
Yep…Hope. Chuck Missler once spoke about a secular Quantum Physicist that discovered we do
not stay dead and Humans will resurrect after death eventually, apparently the revelation was so profound to him he couldn’t cope with it and killed himself as a result.
A Psychologist’s nightmare lol…trying to analyze why he did it, because one would think
he would utterly ecstatic about his personal discovery, but we are not fucking logical,
We’re so emotionally complex and varied in our thinking it isn’t funny.

[/quote]

Missler is also an “ancient astronaut” guy, no?

This topic has been beaten to death. Its so annoying just to see this yet again. Believe what you believe, and I’ll believe what I believe. Simple as that.

Based upon my knowledge of evolution, personal observation, experience and contemplating the scientific literature, it is my most considered opinion that the process of natural selection favors those who have religious belief. Because religious belief does give us a survival benefit.

Whether or not god or gods exist is not important, what is important is the belief. Without belief you get no benefit, but with belief you do get a benefit.

Hope is what religion gives us. Hope that there is a God that is bigger than us, Hope that he Loves us, Hope that there is an afterlife, and Hope that God made a way for us to be with him in the afterlife.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Based upon my knowledge of evolution, personal observation, experience and contemplating the scientific literature, it is my most considered opinion that the process of natural selection favors those who have religious belief. Because religious belief does give us a survival benefit.

Whether or not god or gods exist is not important, what is important is the belief. Without belief you get no benefit, but with belief you do get a benefit.[/quote]

Interesting. How does religion help us survive? It may add to group cohesion, I get that. And religion does take the place of the police sometimes.

But for the first 90,000 years of homo sapiens, we were just hunter-gathers looking for food and pussy.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Humans evolved and our brains developed so as we could survive and prosper on this earth. Our brains didn’t develop in order to do anything else except survive as the fittest for survival. Our brains didn’t develop any capacity for religion and knowing god simply because those things weren’t required for survival.[/quote]

Then where did religion come from? Human brains didn’t evolve to have the capacity for religion… so aliens came and imprinted ideas for religion in human brains? I mean, religion exists, ipso facto, human brains have the capacity for religion. Otherwise it would never have come up…[/quote]

We developed an imagination. Imagination is helpful for survival. Humans then misdirect the imagination for purposes other than survival. Religion is simply an error.
[/quote]

Evidence of the reptilian brain at work.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Sifu wrote:

Whether or not god or gods exist is not important, what is important is the belief. Without belief you get no benefit, but with belief you do get a benefit.[/quote]

Interesting. How does religion help us survive? It may add to group cohesion, I get that. And religion does take the place of the police sometimes.

But for the first 90,000 years of homo sapiens, we were just hunter-gathers looking for food and pussy.
[/quote]

How the fuck do you know? How do you know they weren’t flying around in space ships and eating patee? For all we know they could have been far more advanced than us. We don’t know shit past the last 6000 years. There is almost no evidence about early man save for the fact they likely existed. Otherwise we don’t know shit about what they did, how they lived, what their societies looked like.
Hell for all we know they destroyed themselves in a nuclear war and this is what starting over looks like.

Likely existed eh?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Likely existed eh?[/quote]

Where you there?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

Fun to watch these guys went they don’t have an answer: “Were you there?”

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

“Otherwise we don’t know shit about what they did, how they lived, what their societies looked like.
Hell for all we know they destroyed themselves in a nuclear war and this is what starting over looks like.”

Well, at least you have a clue on that one, like the past Nuclear holocaust ‘brighter than a thousand suns’
which destroyed the “Rama” Empire of India…I read awhile back there’s an area that’s still too
radioactively "Hot’ in India to even build there…talk about “smoking gun”.

Someone asked me why this Rama Empire event is specifically not in the Bible, and I answer…well
World Wars 1 and 2 weren’t specifically in the Bible either…Epic events as well…Millions dead.
The Bible not a history book in the first place, it’s a series of books on God’s relationship with Man,
Sin, Redemption, etc…not EVERY thing in History past or present is in there,
Why? Becuse it fucking doesn’t need to be.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Sifu wrote:

[/quote]

It helps us survive in a number of ways. One big benefit is the division along religious lines that has existed throughout history. Because there were groups of humans who isolated from or limited their contact with other religious groups it limited the spread of disease such as plague.

But on a more basic level it can provide a mental boost that gives one the resilience to endure an extreme survival situation that they may not have otherwise survived. For example, consider the experience of the Marines in Fallujah or in the Phillipines fighting jihadists. The Marines sometimes had great difficulty getting the enemy to die like they are supposed to when they are shot multiple times. It’s why the Colt .45 became the standard issue hand gun

Watch the survivorman series sometime and consider the fact that for the greater part of human history we all lived at that level of subsistence for our entire lives. You have to be mentally tough to survive. When simply thinking “I can’t do this” can kill you, a strong belief that will make it because there is something that is going to help you and see you through, can make all the difference.

That is how natural selection has worked to wire our brain for religion .

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
[/quote]I’m still waitin for you to try me Skippy. I still intend a response to Matty, the long delay of which I do feel guilty for. I have couple hours work sittin here with Kamui too. Maybe you’ll join in, but I doubt it.

And Pat ol buddy. I really hope you and I can talk abut these issues without gouging each other’s eyes out. I would really like that to be possible when we disagree.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
[/quote]I’m still waitin for you to try me Skippy. I still intend a response to Matty, the long delay of which I do feel guilty for. I have couple hours work sittin here with Kamui too. Maybe you’ll join in, but I doubt it.

And Pat ol buddy. I really hope you and I can talk abut these issues without gouging each other’s eyes out. I would really like that to be possible when we disagree.
[/quote]

Picture two groups of early humans. One group hunts all day, gathers food, the women make the camp and so on. In the other group, the humans devote a portion of the day worshipping Crom or some other entity. The ones who gathered food had an advantage over the ones who chanted and danced around in circles. By the law of natural selection the second group is toast until…

Eventually someone figured out agriculture. Now people could loaf and misdirect their imaginations into more fun things over and above how to kill some game animal. And then, some of them figured out how to terrify the others into giving them free food (the first priests) by inventing tales of lakes of sulpher and fire, and so on…one of the best con game troll jobs ever!

"The first priest was the first rogue who met the first fool.â?? — Voltaire

Just a little cynical about Religion, HH?

Mufasa

I dont want to argue about anyones religion, but when you look at history and present many conflicts and wars have been and are due to difference in religions.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:<<< Picture two groups of early humans. >>>[/quote]I’m picturing one modern human who endlessly cackles on about meaningless drivel in an ongoing campaign of retreat because he knows he will be spanked like a little girl if he were ever actually to engage me on anything substantive. Not because I’m a thousand times sharper than he is, but because he knows my positions would eat his alive like a hungry lion gleefully snacks upon his bleeding prey.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:<<< Picture two groups of early humans. >>>[/quote]I’m picturing one modern human who endlessly cackles on about meaningless drivel in an ongoing campaign of retreat because he knows he will be spanked like a little girl if he were ever actually to engage me on anything substantive. Not because I’m a thousand times sharper than he is, but because he knows my positions would eat his alive like a hungry lion gleefully snacks upon his bleeding prey.
[/quote]

Posted your wrong pic, dude. Here, I’ll help you. Keep on a-smokin’ dat dere wild wood weed.

[quote]NikH wrote:
I dont want to argue about anyones religion, but when you look at history and present many conflicts and wars have been and are due to difference in religions.[/quote]

Religion is the greatest joke that’s ever been played on humanity. Seriously, it is a troll job designed so that the lazy and incompetent can trick the productive and intelligent into giving the scum money, food, land, and so forth.

“Professional “pardoners”[5] (quaestores in Latin) - who were sent to collect alms for a specific project - practiced the unrestricted sale of indulgences. Many of these quaestores exceeded Church teachings, whether in avarice or ignorant zeal, and promised impossible rewards like salvation from eternal damnation in return for money.[39] With the permission of the Church, indulgences also became a way for Catholic rulers to fund expensive projects, such as Crusades and cathedrals, by keeping a significant portion of the money raised from indulgences in their lands.[39] There was a tendency to forge documents declaring that indulgences had been granted.[39] Indulgences grew to extraordinary magnitude, in terms of longevity and breadth of forgiveness.”

[quote]NikH wrote:
I dont want to argue about anyones religion, but when you look at history and present many conflicts and wars have been and are due to difference in religions.[/quote]

True. In fairness, though, I suspect that there are a great many women who weren’t raped and travelers who weren’t killed and corpse-robbed because of religion as well.