T Nation

Does DOMS=Hypertrophy???

Whats the thoughts on doms? I feel a good DOMS for two days after leg workout day. Some time I feel the workout was not good but I feel the DOMS anyway. Does this mean I caused hypertrophy?

no

DOMS is closely related to volume and volume is more or less related to hypertrophy. So while there is a correlation between DOMS and Hypertrophy, it’s far fetched to say that there is a direct cause-effect relation.

For example if you do 1 set of a 100 rep for an exercise, you WILL be sore as hell, be does that equal massive gainzor, hardly.

Who cares? Gain weight and make progress in the gym, and you will grow; sore or not.

Yes absolutely. If you aren’t sore, you wont grow. AND the search function is just there to fill space on the page.

DOMS = Lots of new eccentric movement.

Beginners often think so.

The guys I’ve known that grow the fastest don’t seem to get sore as often. The bastards just seem to recover faster.

If I have a crazy intense workout, hit new records, leave absolutely wasted and DON’T get sore, that’s when I think something went really right.

If I do the same workout and get sore, well, that’s just normal.

After a workout if I don’t eat right, or sleep right, or both, I will definitely be more sore. Another clue that soreness does not equal hypertrophy.

But that’s just my theory.

[quote]Nyral wrote:
DOMS is closely related to volume and volume is more or less related to hypertrophy. So while there is a correlation between DOMS and Hypertrophy, it’s far fetched to say that there is a direct cause-effect relation.

For example if you do 1 set of a 100 rep for an exercise, you WILL be sore as hell, be does that equal massive gainzor, hardly.[/quote]

Nyral, you have the greatest avatar I have ever seen. I have been mesmerized for 15 minutes.
-sorry to get off topic,but I have to go watch it again

[quote]GJA_BOSTON wrote:
Nyral wrote:

For example if you do 1 set of a 100 rep for an exercise, you WILL be sore as hell, be does that equal massive gainzor, hardly.

Nyral, you have the greatest avatar I have ever seen. I have been mesmerized for 15 minutes.
[/quote]

I agree completely. I found my eyes shifting to look at it while trying to read.

Anyways, OP, no, soreness is NOT necessary to hypertrophy a muscle. Soreness may happen, but it won’t CAUSE muscle growth.

Many people believe that you have to tear your muscles (microtrauma) to cause growth. The fact is you don’t. To get a muscle to grow you must focus on two major things, ones short term, the other is long term. Short term refers to your workouts. You must recruit as many muscles fibres as possible and FATIGUE them within a workout. Fatigue doesn’t require actually tearing them down. Over the long term, you must progressively overload them through progression, by doing more reps and adding more weight. Progress is necessary to continually overload and stimulate the muscles to grow.

I spent 3 years just going after the DOMS, and you know what, that got me nowhere. Sure, I may not me a huge or physically imposing individual, however, once I started focusing on progression, I started making progress (no pun intended). And I’m still gaining.

DOMS is bound to happen, but it shouldn’t be the goal. It’s just a by product.

[quote]forbes wrote:
GJA_BOSTON wrote:
Nyral wrote:

Sure, I may not me a huge or physically imposing individual, however, once I started focusing on progression, I started making progress (no pun intended). And I’m still gaining.
[/quote]

Such a painfully obvious statment, but so often overlooked.

Agree with the rest of what you said as well.

Soreness isn’t necessary for growth, but it often comes along for the ride.

DOM’s is basically a sign of poor conditioning. Not poor conditioning in relation to the rest of the world but poor conditioning in relation to your workout. If your body isn’t prepared to do that much volume at that much weight you will have DOM’s.

I dont think that DOMS exactly means hypertrophy, but when I am getting sore I am getting better results than when I am not.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
I dont think that DOMS exactly means hypertrophy, but when I am getting sore I am getting better results than when I am not.[/quote]

Placebo effect?

My understanding was that DOMS was in part caused by a build up of ammonia and lactic acid and can be remedied somewhat with light aerobic work. I don’t know where I heard this from but I do notice a difference in DOMS when I don’t do anything but lift.

Is that actually correct?

I’m doing pretty low volume and still get significant DOMS. I pay attention to increases in weight being moved for measuring progression - BUT, I put DOMS in the same place as the pump - I use it as an indicator that my chosen exercises are hitting the muscles that I intend for them to.

[quote]debraD wrote:
My understanding was that DOMS was in part caused by a build up of ammonia and lactic acid and can be remedied somewhat with light aerobic work. I don’t know where I heard this from but I do notice a difference in DOMS when I don’t do anything but lift.

Is that actually correct?[/quote]

I’ve heard that too. But I actually believe that DOMS IS caused by micro tears in the muscle. My argument was that micro tears (or trauma) isn’t necessary for hypertrophy, just sufficient fatigue and progressive overload (as well as the right nutrients).

Light aerobic work increases blood flow, especially the muscle being worked during the aerobic activity, which can help speed recovery by increasing nutrient delivery to your muscles.

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I’m doing pretty low volume and still get significant DOMS. I pay attention to increases in weight being moved for measuring progression - BUT, I put DOMS in the same place as the pump - I use it as an indicator that my chosen exercises are hitting the muscles that I intend for them to.[/quote]

EXACTLY!

[quote]forbes wrote:
GJA_BOSTON wrote:
Nyral wrote:

I agree completely. I found my eyes shifting to look at it while trying to read.

Anyways, OP, no, soreness is NOT necessary to hypertrophy a muscle. Soreness may happen, but it won’t CAUSE muscle growth.

Many people believe that you have to tear your muscles (microtrauma) to cause growth. The fact is you don’t. To get a muscle to grow you must focus on two major things, ones short term, the other is long term. Short term refers to your workouts. You must recruit as many muscles fibres as possible and FATIGUE them within a workout. Fatigue doesn’t require actually tearing them down. Over the long term, you must progressively overload them through progression, by doing more reps and adding more weight. Progress is necessary to continually overload and stimulate the muscles to grow.

I spent 3 years just going after the DOMS, and you know what, that got me nowhere. Sure, I may not me a huge or physically imposing individual, however, once I started focusing on progression, I started making progress (no pun intended). And I’m still gaining.

DOMS is bound to happen, but it shouldn’t be the goal. It’s just a by product.[/quote]

Summed up perfectly.

/thread

I see you’ve been taking pictures debraD, killer legs!

[quote]Nyral wrote:
/thread

I see you’ve been taking pictures debraD, killer legs![/quote]

Thank you!! :smiley: