Does Diet Soda Decrease Test Levels?

Hey man, I’ve been doing a lot of reading since we had the discussion on your TRT log thread concerning keto. It seems @physioLojik is on to something regarding long term keto and reduced insulin resistance. That got my attention because, being I’m already pre-diabetic according to my fasting BG levels, and the fact that this has been relatively unchanged, even though I have been eating less than 20g carbs a day. I’m thinking that the possibility of further reducing my insulin resistance over time may not be such a good thing. That said, I’m thinking of reworking my eating routine. Especially since my doc upped my T to 150mg from 100mg, I’m thinking it would be a good time to start re introducing carbs and taking advantage of the extra Test. You have any advice or thoughts on how to do that wisely, and not reverse all the progress I’ve made so far?
@unreal24278 @physioLojik @NH_Watts

Don’t eliminate carbs entirely, just reduce them to an appropriate amount, 20g of carbs/day sounds crazy to me. There’s reducing carbs then there’s eliminating carbs, I’ve never understood why some eliminate carb intake, the body is SUPPOSED to function with carbohydrates as a primary energy source

Thanks man. Can you elaborate a little more?

According to most BB circles (and the associated calculators that are out there) the recommendation for carb intake for me falls at around 179g. I’m not sure if that falls into a “reasonably reduced” category lol!

I don’t @bmbrady77. Im still trying to figure out how to eat now that my hormones are optimized. I quit drinking 3 weeks ago and haven’t lost a pound which is perplexing. I figured dropping 1k in calories a day would just drop a bunch of fat off of me but nope. Body is holding on.

That’s what’s is crazy for me… Since I started eating the way I do now, the fat is dropping like crazy and I’m still making steady strength gains. My main concern is reducing insulin resistance long term by continuing to eat severely restricted carbs.

Maybe there can be some wisdom found in both. Maybe it’s a good idea to eat the way I’m eating now for a few months, then switch gears to a more traditional bodybuilding diet for a month to accelerate growth (and exercise the insulin functions in the body) then go back to the modified keto style and keep the fat at bay. Maybe I’m stumbling on to the idea that what BBs have been doing for years is really the best way…keep changing it up! Lol

You do realize that aspartame has been linked to chronic pain, right?
And if I so much as chew a stick of gum containing it, my heart tries to jump out of chest.

2 Likes

@bmbrady77 you’re confusing insulin resistance and sensitivity. You’re decreasing insulin sensitivity and increasing insulin resistance.

The brain needs 40-60 grams of glucose alone to function on a daily basis correctly.

Can you survive on ketones? Yes. Why does your body produce them? BECAUSE ITS TRYING TO SURVIVE. People don’t seem to understand this - your body is hard wired to use glucose as a fuel source. When it is removed it has to find a way to survive. Ketones are a last ditch source of fuel when the body thinks it’s starving.

Keep your carbs around your workout. Have 50 grams pre workout, 30 grams intra (or just use aminos) and have 50 grams post workout and then possibly another 50 grams after that.

Increase SLOWLY. You will get bloated the first week. Your body will adjust.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying that!

One question concerning your advice…Since you’re saying to introduce carbs around workout times, would it be a safe assumption that the pre-workout / intra should be fast acting carbs, and the post workout should be low GI?
@physioLojik

@bmbrady77 your carb source for the next few weeks is white rice only.

1 Like

I’m going to give it a go. I’ll update on my log how it goes. Thanks again brother!