Does DAA Spike Insulin? (Intermittent Fasting)

Hi,

I have been intermittent fasting for over a month now, and loving how I feel. Recently I bought some D-Aspartic Acid to add to my supplement stack. I would like to drink it first thing in the morning (7am), however I want to be in a “fasted state” until around 12-2pm. I want to avoid spiking my insulin in any significant way so that I can burn fat effectively.

I have searched the internet and cannot find any information on whether or not DAA will raise insulin levels. Any thoughts/links/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

well it is an amino acid, and most amino acids dont spike insulin at anywhere close to the 3g dose that DAA is usually taken in.

[quote]tork94 wrote:
well it is an amino acid, and most amino acids dont spike insulin at anywhere close to the 3g dose that DAA is usually taken in.[/quote]

Thank you.

I very much doubt so, as tork said, it’s a pure amino acid and there shouldn’t be any effect on insulin.

I’m glad to hear, by the way, that you’re also having good results from DAA. Are you cycling the supplement or taking it straight through? And are you stacking it at all with an AI?

[quote]kgildner wrote:
I very much doubt so, as tork said, it’s a pure amino acid and there shouldn’t be any effect on insulin.
[/quote]
Leucine is an amino acid and it spikes insulin. Couldnt tell you if DAA does the same.

[quote]dudsman wrote:

[quote]kgildner wrote:
[/quote]
Leucine is an amino acid and it spikes insulin. Couldnt tell you if DAA does the same.[/quote]

Aha, valid point. I assume, though, that the typical dosage DAA (i.e., 3-5g) wouldn’t have a very pronounced effect either way.

[quote]kgildner wrote:

I’m glad to hear, by the way, that you’re also having good results from DAA. Are you cycling the supplement or taking it straight through? And are you stacking it at all with an AI?[/quote]

I ran it for about 4 weeks, about a month ago. I took it sporadically, different times every day. Sometimes fasted, sometimes with food. I definitely felt a boost in strength, but I stopped taking it because I was just experimenting with way too many supplements at the time. This time around I’m going to do it right.

Currently I am stacking it with A-HD powder, however I’ve been running A-HD for about a month now and I’m not too impressed with the results.

Even 3 grams of dextrose wouldn’t really spike insulin. I’m pretty sure it needs to be at least 15 grams of even sugar to have any appreciable effect on insulin.

I’ve checked my blood sugar before and after taking BCAAs, including leucine, and saw no change. Why would leucine spike insulin if it doesn’t spike blood sugar?

I do know there are studies that show leucine interferes with autophagosis during fasting, but is that through insulin?

[quote]yorik wrote:
I’ve checked my blood sugar before and after taking BCAAs, including leucine, and saw no change. Why would leucine spike insulin if it doesn’t spike blood sugar?

I do know there are studies that show leucine interferes with autophagosis during fasting, but is that through insulin?[/quote]

From Kiefer:
“Leucine, it is the ability to raise insulin levels independent of blood sugar. Other amino acids only increase insulin secretion in the presence of ample amounts of blood sugar, but not luecine.”

His reference to support this data comes from:

Matschinsky FM, Ellerman J, Stillings S et al. Hexones and insulin secretion. In: Hasselblatt A, Bruchhausen FV, eds. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1975, pp. 79-114.

I couldnt find this online so i cant expand on the subject.