Does Current BF% Affect Lbm Gain?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CU AeroStallion wrote:

I don’t think you read what I meant. One dude starts at 8% bodyfat and stays there. The other dude starts at 22% and stays there.

both put on 20 lbs of overall weight.

I understand what you mean. I will still emphasize the point that I haven’t seen anyone on this board tell someone who is over 22% body fat that they need to “bulk up”.

if it takes 10 years to put on 20 lbs, and that’s the goal, someone needs to learn how to use a fucking fork.

I agree, but look at what we are seeing on this board. How many of these guys who are scared to lose an ab are actually gaining 20+lbs of lean body mass over the years they are on this board? I haven’t seen one yet who was 8% body fat, stayed there, and gained anywhere near that much muscle.[/quote]

gaining the good weight sure can be a bitch.

[quote]T-Bone2 wrote:
Google on Lyle McDonald’s article “Initial Body Fat and Body Composition Changes” [/quote]

It’s also linked on his site.

[quote]Robert Monti wrote:
I find it hard to believe that getting to single digit body fat first is the optimal way to go for ALL athletes for better muscle gains.

Let’s say a 200 lbs lineman with 13% bodyfat goes to DeFranco and says he needs to get bigger and stronger for next season in order to get recruited. Do you honestly think DeFranco is going to tell the guy, “No, I think getting to 8% should be your primary goal then we can talk about getting bigger and stronger.” I’m sure Joe will help the kid with his diet but I don’t think he’ll make him do a “cutting” diet.[/quote]

Most of the bigger performance coaches like Joe Defranco, Chad Ikei, etc take athletes and help them gain quite a bit of mass and lose quite a bit of bodyfat at the same time.

[quote]speed wrote:
Robert Monti wrote:
I find it hard to believe that getting to single digit body fat first is the optimal way to go for ALL athletes for better muscle gains.

Let’s say a 200 lbs lineman with 13% bodyfat goes to DeFranco and says he needs to get bigger and stronger for next season in order to get recruited. Do you honestly think DeFranco is going to tell the guy, “No, I think getting to 8% should be your primary goal then we can talk about getting bigger and stronger.” I’m sure Joe will help the kid with his diet but I don’t think he’ll make him do a “cutting” diet.

Most of the bigger performance coaches like Joe Defranco, Chad Ikei, etc take athletes and help them gain quite a bit of mass and lose quite a bit of bodyfat at the same time.

[/quote]

His point was that all athletes do NOT perform better under 10% body fat, not whether someone can gain muscle and lose fat over a given period of time.