T Nation

Does Cooking Affect Protein Content of Food?

does cooking food affect the protein content? i weight out 8 oz/ of raw chicken breast for 44g or protein and after it was cooked it weight 6 oz! does that mean i only get 33g or protein?

surely is mostly water that is cooked out of the chicken… and u shud probably be eating 2 or 3 of them.

yeah i eat alot of chicken but if i weight out 8 oz raw do i still get the 44 g of protein?

Minutia, minutia, minutia…oh god the minutia.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
yeah i eat alot of chicken but if i weight out 8 oz raw do i still get the 44 g of protein?
[/quote]

probably

What the hell? Why are you stressing over such crap? Shut up and eat the damn chicken.

[/quote]

yes unless your burning it, and all dependant on how your body digests things. I mean some people pass whole foods so who knows. lol

You will be ‘ingesting’ 44g of protein.

Eat about 5-6 of em a day and you’ll be good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol

Gerdy

cooking it just sucks the water and some other jucies out of it.

the protien is within the fibers (aka the meat).

you’ll be just fine; if you stop thinking to critically about it all.

the heat only denatures the protein(unwinds it and changes it shape), it does not destroy it in any way shape or form. Think liquid raw eggs to hard boiled.

ok i was just making sure because i thought it would throw off my protein intake. and i eat about 3 a day

Unless you are charring the shit out of it, all the amino acids will still be there and in tact giving you complete protein.

why are these nutrition facts different? cooked vs raw?

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-breast-meat-only-roasted_f-Y2lkPTMwNzk5JmJpZD0xJmZpZD02ODMxMiZlaWQ9MzMxODQ3NjMyJnBvcz0xJnBhcj0ma2V5PWNoaWNrZW4gYnJlYXN0.html

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-breast-meat-only-raw_f-Y2lkPTMwNzk5JmJpZD0xJmZpZD02ODI3NSZlaWQ9MzMxODQ3NjMyJnBvcz0yJnBhcj0ma2V5PWNoaWNrZW4gYnJlYXN0.html

heres the thing, Mr. olympia eats his chicken cooked and I’m pretty sure Dex, Jay, and the rest of the gang have some size on ya. If cooking things destroyed the protien or dramatically decreased it, every bodybuilder would die of some foodbourne illness because of all the raw food theyd be eating

i unserstand but i want to know exactly how much protein im intaking.

i unserstand but i want to know exactly how much protein im intaking.[/quote]

Did you figure it out yet?

why are these nutrition facts different? cooked vs raw?

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-breast-meat-only-roasted_f-Y2lkPTMwNzk5JmJpZD0xJmZpZD02ODMxMiZlaWQ9MzMxODQ3NjMyJnBvcz0xJnBhcj0ma2V5PWNoaWNrZW4gYnJlYXN0.html

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-breast-meat-only-raw_f-Y2lkPTMwNzk5JmJpZD0xJmZpZD02ODI3NSZlaWQ9MzMxODQ3NjMyJnBvcz0yJnBhcj0ma2V5PWNoaWNrZW4gYnJlYXN0.html[/quote]

When you cook meat water evaporates, which makes the piece of meat smaller increasing the amount of calories per weight.

[quote]MrOldSchool wrote:
What the hell? Why are you stressing over such crap? Shut up and eat the damn chicken.[/quote]

HAHAHA! My fuckin thoughts exactly!!

Not being rude tho- you’ll should still have the same amount of protein- is just water leavin the chicken and what not.

EAT!

not really. perdue facts on the plastic wrap say

26g protein for 4oz or raw chicken
21g protein for 3 oz cooked

8oz or raw= 52g protein, when its cooked it shrinks down to 6oz which = 42g protein.

the reason im streesing so much is because im on a calorie deficit right now and im trying to be strict and not go over.

I measure out the chicken after it’s cooked. If a piece of chicken is 8oz raw you can’t say that there is protein in the 2-3 ounces of water. Thats just stupid. If it’s cooked down to 6 ounces that means you use that number to figure out how much protein there is.

23g protein per 3 ounces. So that means about 46g in 6 ozs of cooked chicken. Simple as that.

[quote]Hard Hank wrote:
MrOldSchool wrote:
What the hell? Why are you stressing over such crap? Shut up and eat the damn chicken.

HAHAHA! My fuckin thoughts exactly!!

Not being rude tho- you’ll should still have the same amount of protein- is just water leavin the chicken and what not.

EAT![/quote]

yeah… unless you are preparing for a competition this is just not worth stressing over.