Does Clay Guida Belong in the UFC?

With his recent loss @ UFC 107, alot of skepticism has arisen to whether or not he should stay in the UFC. I believe his record is now 5-5. His un-orthodox style has proven once again to be sub-par in the UFC octagon. However…he has caught some bad beats by decision and if you saw the fight the crowds energy toward Guida was amazing!!!
I think he should stay, I think hes a brawler but ALWAYS puts on a good show. Leaves the ring covered in blood. (usually his own) But hey…thats what we want to see.) W
What does everyone else think about Clay in the UFC?

He’s a good gatekeeper. He has a role and a big fan base, so yes he belongs.

Stay. Entertaining, puts on a show if nothing. Give it his all. Has balls just to get in there! lol

It would be hard to make an argument that he doesnt belong in the UFC. He lost a tough fight to Diego, was outclassed by FLorian. Those are both top contenders in the lightweight division. His decision loss to Tyson Griffin could have gone his way imo, and he’s beaten Danzig and Diaz (the Diaz fight being the only one I’d say he was boring in…but he needed the W in that fight.) His loss to Huerta was the result of him trying to bring the fight late in a fight he could’ve rode out to a decision. Let’s not forget his victory over Josh Thomson in Strikeforce either. Yeah he belongs.

I’m biased cause I used to train at the same gym. His work ethic is insane! I really enjoy watching him fight, due to his never give up nature. More than anything I doubt Dana White would drop him, because I would foresee a lot of very angry fans.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
It would be hard to make an argument that he doesnt belong in the UFC. He lost a tough fight to Diego, was outclassed by FLorian. Those are both top contenders in the lightweight division. His decision loss to Tyson Griffin could have gone his way imo, and he’s beaten Danzig and Diaz (the Diaz fight being the only one I’d say he was boring in…but he needed the W in that fight.) His loss to Huerta was the result of him trying to bring the fight late in a fight he could’ve rode out to a decision. Let’s not forget his victory over Josh Thomson in Strikeforce either. Yeah he belongs.[/quote]

Just the look in Huerta’s eyes said I’m not losing this fight, I don’t think there was anythong Guida could of done.

I’d say he still belongs. My opinion is this:

1. Take some time to rest that chin (it was iron, but diego pounded it too hard and now kenny tko’d him)
  2. Look to make improvements where you can
  3. Strategy (taking a fight where a guy has a better chin, better striking, and great jitz = probably a bad rebound fight)

I like clay, seeing him lose to kenny was upsetting; but he’s got plenty more fight left in him.

On a side note, I think Kenny made him quit. He seemed stunned, but alive and he let kenny take his back.

He is an excellent gate keeper. Especially for the up and comers with little or no wrestling background. If they can’t get past Guida, they aren’t going to fair very well against the other talented wrestlers in the division. You need good TD defense and insane conditioning to do anything in the LW division. What better test of this than Clay? Sherk is another one that will probably never see the top 5 again, but is a very good test for younger fighters making their way up the ranks.

A good division should be stacked with fighters of various skill sets and skill levels. If everyone is a contender, there is no path for new talent.

Just look at Strikeforce. They have a few guys in the top tier and there is endless opportunity to sign young talent. They just don’t really have the depth to bring the young talent along on their own. They need them to fight in other organizations to get fights appropriate for their stage of develpoment. This means they have much less control over the fight progression of someone they may want to invest in.

The UFC is able to create and control the progression of their fighters. This is why they keep a large stable of fighters, some of whom will never contribute to PPV buys.

If Clay never becomes a champ, I will still be a fan. That guy is a real fighter.

I think he should stay because he looks like a tiny, crazy Howard Stern.

As crazy as it may sound I think it’s too soon to write off Guida. Give the MMA yoda Greg Jackson more time with him and then we can say for sure. although I think it’s a little weird for Guida to train with Jackson considering his GSP camp affiliations. But hey, you go where the best train if you want to improve.

Either way Guida belongs in the UFC and in the hall of fame. Think about it, how many fighters have hung in there as long as he has without getting a title shot? Most would have quit on their own by now.

side note:

drewh your avatar is awesome! that is still one of my favorite movies, SHONUFF!!

[quote]Beershoes wrote:

On a side note, I think Kenny made him quit. He seemed stunned, but alive and he let kenny take his back. [/quote]

i was listening to a couple fighters talk a while back, and they were saying the only reason someone gets a RNC in MMA anymore, is if the other guy is looking for a way out and gives it up. granted, there are a few excpetions, but after i heard this i kinda found it to be true…

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
With his recent loss @ UFC 107, alot of skepticism has arisen to whether or not he should stay in the UFC. I believe his record is now 5-5. His un-orthodox style has proven once again to be sub-par in the UFC octagon. However…he has caught some bad beats by decision and if you saw the fight the crowds energy toward Guida was amazing!!!
I think he should stay, I think hes a brawler but ALWAYS puts on a good show. Leaves the ring covered in blood. (usually his own) But hey…thats what we want to see.) W
What does everyone else think about Clay in the UFC?[/quote]

i think they’ll keep him…h’e sworth it, as far as a fan and PPV draw. he works hard, and is a regular guy so he has a blue collar draw that a lot of guys don’t have. i think he’s pretty one dimensional, but i still love watching him fight…kinda like Rocky or something.

I believe he belongs.

I mean he has fought some real tough mother fuckers…none of them are chumps.

He is tough…entertaining…and never backs down.

Not like that douche…Karo Parysian or whoever you specll it

Entertaining and not really that bad of a fighter. He fights to the end, to the very bloody end.
Dana White keeps whoever entertains, to please a crowd looking for blood.

I like his energy, but he needs to work on his striking and submissions. He is a hard worker and I respect that and wish him the best whatever direction he goes…

absolutley stay. Hes a brawler loves to bang and is one of the most entertaining fighters despite the subpar record

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
What does everyone else think about Clay in the UFC?[/quote]

He belongs more so than Bisping does. Granted Guida won’t be bringing in as much of the English PPV dollars but he still draws buys. My point is Dana White decides who belongs and who doesn’t. And it’s based on one primary motivator, CHA-CHING

Not so fast, ZEB
Bisping pound-for-pound, owns Guida bigtime.

Granted, he was carefully built for the british. But he can fight intelligently, for instance. And he has solid technique, which is getting better all the time. None of which has Guida.
I still don’t like Bisping him when he opens his mouth, but I believe he is legit today.

Out of curiousity, how do you feel for Silva-Bisping?