Does Changing Exercises Infrequently Apply to Supplemental Work?

Christian,

I know you’re a big proponent of not changing your core exercises very often to become skilled and stronger at them. Does the same principle apply to accessory/supplemental exercises, say direct arm work, to bring up lagging body parts or work on weaknesses?

[quote]BigIron77 wrote:
Christian,

I know you’re a big proponent of not changing your core exercises very often to become skilled and stronger at them. Does the same principle apply to accessory/supplemental exercises, say direct arm work, to bring up lagging body parts or work on weaknesses?[/quote]

It applies mostly to complex/compound movements using lowish… the less neurally demanding and exercise/loading method is, the less important it is to maintain it for long for it to have its effect. Pump work with simple exercises can be changed at almost every workout.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]BigIron77 wrote:
Christian,

I know you’re a big proponent of not changing your core exercises very often to become skilled and stronger at them. Does the same principle apply to accessory/supplemental exercises, say direct arm work, to bring up lagging body parts or work on weaknesses?[/quote]

It applies mostly to complex/compound movements using lowish… the less neurally demanding and exercise/loading method is, the less important it is to maintain it for long for it to have its effect. Pump work with simple exercises can be changed at almost every workout.[/quote]

Cool, thanks! I was doing some much-needed chest and arm spec work for a few weeks and would occasionally have to change up exercises depending on where I was training. I’m glad to know I wasn’t spinning my wheels!